UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Solari two pin mains lead help sought please. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=150233)

Robsradio 2nd Oct 2018 9:33 pm

Solari two pin mains lead help sought please.

Evening
I hope some here will have far more knowledge/experience of 2 pin mains lead plugs.
I have a Solari Flip clock from the 60s, I collect these clocks and every one I have seems to have a 'bodged fit' 2 pin mains plug!
The required plug type should have a pitch between the pins of somewhere between the shaver type and the figure 8 IEC C7 (I believe it is called)
The shaver type plug pins are too close together, whilst the IEC are too far apart, pin diameters seem ok.
Is there such a plug between the two sizes, or was this a special to Solari?
Any help, thoughts appreciated
Thanks
Rob
PS.. I am still looking for a Perspex front cover for a Cifra5 as the one I have is cracked.

camtechman 3rd Oct 2018 3:27 pm

Re: Solari two pin mains lead help sought please.

A photo or photos may help to identify the socket. Also what is the model number?

camtechman 3rd Oct 2018 4:03 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I've found a pic of a socket on a Solari flip clock on the internet but it's not very clear and I've tried to make it clearer. Is it the same type that you mean?

Robsradio 5th Oct 2018 11:21 am

2 Attachment(s)
Hi
Sorry for late reply...
The pin centres are 8.5mm, pin diameter 3mm
Thanks
Rob

camtechman 7th Oct 2018 3:28 pm

Rob,

Amongst my collection of Fig 8 leads, I think I have one that seems to match the dimensions you have provided.

It's a bit of an oddball as, ever since I got it, it's too loose to use on all the Fig 8 equipment I have at home.

It has a 5ft black, 2 core lead with the moulded Fig 8 at one end & in excellent condition.

What are the measurements of the aperture in the back case?

Tony

Robsradio 8th Oct 2018 9:46 pm

Hi Tony
The aperture is 18mm x 10.5mm
Thanks
Rob

camtechman 9th Oct 2018 8:50 pm

Rob,

I've sent you a PM

Tony

mole42uk 10th Oct 2018 7:21 am

I have one like this in the workshop at the moment on a 1978 keyboard synthesiser built in East Germany. I haven’t been able to find a cable to fit so I think I’ll change the socket.

camtechman 17th Oct 2018 3:57 am

Lead supplied.

Please close.