UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   PYE Stereogram 1226 (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=161281)

PYE_Stereogram 10th Nov 2019 3:55 pm

PYE Stereogram 1226

4 Attachment(s)
Hello,

New user here, my flatmates and I recently got our hands on a PYE Stereogram 1226. She's a real beauty and all in good working order except the metal clip that holds the stylus in place has snapped and the rubber bridge against which it nestles has gone missing.

We have tried all sorts of different avenues of attack and are running out of options. Any suggestions of a replacement cartridge have to me looked wrong as they wouldn't fit the cartridge mount, which to my amateur eyes looks bespoke to the model (please correct me if I'm wrong). Internet searches haven't proven particularly fruitful!

We would love any and all advice/suggestions on what to do. We're based in Edinburgh but willing to look further for professional help if you could recommend anyone if it is beyond fairly simple amateur repair.

Thanks in advance!

paulsherwin 10th Nov 2019 4:00 pm

Re: PYE Stereogram 1226

Can you fit one of the ubiquitous Chinese 'red' cartridges? You would need to fabricate a mounting or glue it in place, but they only cost a couple of quid so it doesn't cost much to experiment.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vinyl-Tur...r/332346982923

PYE_Stereogram 10th Nov 2019 5:07 pm

Thank you, just ordered one!

I'm assuming the mount I rigged would have to match the angle of the current cartridge to the arm?

simpsons 10th Nov 2019 5:42 pm

The make of cartridge used in the PYE is the key.

Should it be the same as used in the similar Garrard TC2025 turntable which also has a very slim headshell, the cartridge is a Real Head Tetrad which is available on eBay and should be a direct replacement.

paulsherwin 10th Nov 2019 5:47 pm

You would need to mount the cartridge at approximately the right angle, but it's not hugely critical.

Edward Huggins 10th Nov 2019 6:06 pm

Yes, this has a later model BSR Autochanger with a very narrow tone arm head. The radiogram is one of the last that Pye ever made. The Chinese Cheapos are probably one of the very few cartridges that will fit it. When fitted, there should be a -15 degree negative rake on the stylus when viewed from the side.

simpsons 10th Nov 2019 6:32 pm

If it helps, from the PYE User Guide, the cartridge is a BSR SC10M which is no longer available. However the BSR SC7M is and uses the same stili. It would appear both are made by ASTATIC part 669 and look very similar to each other.

John10b 10th Nov 2019 7:11 pm

If you want to get a BSR SC7M, The Stylus Lady , indicates they have one, cost £25.
I have no connection with TSL.
Cheers
John

PYE_Stereogram 10th Nov 2019 7:41 pm

Thank you very much for all your advice, have just found a Tetrad cartridge on ebay which appears to be in the same angled mount! It's a TLG78 EV5619D Tetrad N41D.

Have ordered it and will give it a go and let you know. Thanks again!

ben 10th Nov 2019 8:06 pm

That deck is actually a Glenburn AT100 and the Tetrad cartridge is part of the head. There was another variant with a wider head, but unfortunately that's not yours. So you would need to replace the whole head or try and repair what you have, using another Tetrad cart, which is tricky.

The chinese Chuo denshi clones will not fit. You might get away with trying to fit a BSR SC7h, which is a similar integrated head/cart.

It might be easier just to swap the deck for a BSR C123 or similar with a wide headshell allowing the use of more 'standard' carts.

edit_ just seen your last post and yes, that head should work! The only problem might be tarnished internal contacts giving intermittent audio, so get a guarantee from the seller if poss. Fingers crossed!

John10b 10th Nov 2019 9:04 pm

1 Attachment(s)
If as a matter of interest you want to see tarnished contacts take a look at attached picture.

Techman 10th Nov 2019 9:18 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben (Post 1190568)
The chinese Chuo denshi clones will not fit.

You can make them fit by cutting them down, I've done it, but the body tends to come apart when you've cut so much of it away, so you'll need the 'Super Glue'.;)

Stylo N M 12th Nov 2019 3:54 am

Hi, just a warning beware of the Super Glue, it's possible the fumes from the glue could effect the output of the cartridge, and there's no way of knowing until the damage is done.

Paul

Techman 12th Nov 2019 9:26 pm

Don't worry, I can categorically confirm that Super Glue will NOT affect the output of the cartridge if you use it with care. If you've had this happen, then it's because you've flooded it with the stuff!

Stylo N M 14th Nov 2019 2:25 am

Hi Techman, I can only give an as accurate account as I can as to what happened to me at the time, the cartridge was certainly NOT flooded with Super Glue. Whether there was some other reason or not for the fall in output I don't know, that's why I quoted "it's possible the fumes from the glue could effect the output".

As PYE_Stereogram was a new member, I was trying to advise on extreme caution to the pitfalls of working with cartridges, as they don't take to kindly to a lot of knocking about, and many of them are getting quite old now.

I was only doing my best to be helpful :thumbsup:

Paul

John10b 14th Nov 2019 8:58 pm

That’s interesting, I wonder if different brands of super glues have different properties which can affect ceramic elements, i.e make them stiffer.
When I repaired cartridges I used rapid araldite glue, I was careful not to use too much glue and avoided getting it across the ceramic elements.
I found it very fiddly and you certainly need a steady hand and good eyesight.
Cheers
John

Techman 15th Nov 2019 8:27 pm

Hi Paul, I would say it was just a coincidence that the cartridge failed after you stuck it back together due to a dodgy connection and nothing to do with glue fumes. If you've still got the cartridge then I would advise cutting it open again and looking for a bad/tarnished connection from the thin metal strip/s to the back of the pin/s.

Stylo N M 16th Nov 2019 2:55 am

Hi Techman, OK I dug out the cartridge late last night, and it apears that it hasn't been split open or glued back together again in any way, and I can see there was only a small spot of glue placed on the top arround the fixing hole.

The fixing hole was very warn and enlarged, so the tiny screw wouldn't grip in the hole.

I can see that perhaps it may have been coincidence, but it just seemed strange that it happened when it did. I shall need some sort of a dremel, to remove the rivit that holds it together for further investegation :)

Paul

PYE_Stereogram 23rd Nov 2019 6:09 pm

Thank you everyone for your help, I managed to attach the above mentioned cartridge I ordered with no issue and the stereogram works! The bass tone is truly astounding.

Thanks again :)

Station X 21st Dec 2019 9:53 pm

One post moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=162333