UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Radio (domestic) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   what are these emerson/gec trannies ? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18998)

johnmarshmanagain 19th Jul 2007 11:26 am

what are these emerson/gec transistor sets?

2 Attachment(s)
hi all ,
was snapping a few trannies for to send to PS for his nascent photogallery website thingy (as per other link). however, wot the dickens are they model wise ?
jm ???

Paul_RK 19th Jul 2007 12:34 pm

Re: wot are these emerson/gec trannies ?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi John,

Couldn't say about the GEC, but I'll see whether I can establish a probable candidate if no one else gets that far or further. Seems likely enough that someone will recognise it, though. From 'Radio! Radio!' and the Newnes books Emerson's only UK table transistor model seems to be the E666, a November '59 release - batteries six 'D' cells, transistors OC44, two OC45, OC78D, two OC78. Interesting as it has obvious similarities :D with a valved model here, whose picture is attached.

Paul

johnmarshmanagain 19th Jul 2007 1:42 pm

nice one paul :)

Paul_RK 19th Jul 2007 3:19 pm

Re. the GEC, the design says 1962 to me, give or take a year, which would make it among the earliest sets after GEC and Sobell manufacturing were merged. About the only obvious candidate from around that time in the Newnes books is the G810, but there's just a schematic of it there and no layout drawing, which might help a lot. It's a six-transistor set using a PP9, with car aerial and tape sockets, but that hardly amounts to a positive identification even if your set agrees in all respects. Quoted transistors are GET884, two GET883, GET113 and two S5, but those were likely subject to change anyway. Have to hope someone knows what it is, or possibly has a Sobell equivalent.

Paul

mikelect 19th Jul 2007 6:28 pm

I supplied my Dear old granny with one of the GEC type radios but i'm pretty sure it had a different name and the year is now lost in the mists of time but probably as suggested about 1962/3. Iwould also like one for my collection so if anyone has one going spare :-)

Mike ;D

johnmarshmanagain 20th Jul 2007 9:28 am

Re: what are these emerson/gec trannies ?

Will go with G810 !
Many thanks J

reelguy 20th Jul 2007 11:11 pm

The Emerson radio looks as if it has BSR tape deck knobs in place of the originals.. Just a thought !.

Peter W.......Reelguy

Apart from that I like the old transistor radios. Everybody had one in the old days {60s:)} . what happened to them all?.

Tez Burke 9th Aug 2007 8:08 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmarshmanagain (Post 127607)
hi all ,
was snapping a few trannies for to send to PS for his nascent photogallery website thingy (as per other link). however, wot the dickens are they model wise ?
jm ???

Not sure of the exact model number of the GEC off the top of my head, but I have an almost identical radio with a blue cabinet and a McMichael badge. IIRC it dates from about 1961; can find out more for you.

Tez.

Tez Burke 10th Aug 2007 4:43 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_RK (Post 127640)
Have to hope someone knows what it is, or possibly has a Sobell equivalent.

Paul

The McMichael equivalent I mentioned is model no. M110 (serial no. 9337).