UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Homebrew Equipment (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Medium wave transmitter builders (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=186209)

jagnut66 25th Nov 2021 1:26 am

Medium wave transmitter builders

Hi,
Is there anyone on here who builds medium wave transmitters?
My radio dates to 1939, so I'd like a transmitter (that I could tune the radio to) with a USB port and a CD player intergrated into it.
I would then be able to play things like Neville Chaimberlains declaration of war (in full) and other wartime broadcasts through a set and speaker that they would have been heard on the first time around.
Plus of course I would be able to play music of the era through it as well.
Many thanks in advance in advance for any help with this.
Best wishes,
Mike.

Radio Wrangler 25th Nov 2021 1:52 am

Re: Medium wave transmitter builders

Medium wave transmitters as such, no.

Usually 'Transmitter' is used to describe something which covers some degree of range, either for communicating point to point or for broadcasting. Doing so intentionally puts it squarely under the wireless telegraphy act, and it needs a licence from Ofcom. Without this you would be treated as a pirate broadcaster, and the penalties are scaled to be hard-hitting for commercial operations.

At the other end of the scale, it is quite usual for people to have signal generators to test and evaluate radios with. These can be modulated with whatever audio you want. Normally they are connected to the external aerial socket of a radio, but not all radios have these. Plenty of sets have internal aerials, either as a frame wound with wire, or the common ferrite rod type. To test these radios, it is necessary to feed your signal generator into a coupling coil, or antenna wire fairly close to the set.

Some people do this more to listen to the set than to do formal tests. Rather than tie up an expensive bench instrument, they build small single-purpose units. The aim is to not have any detectable amount of signal beyond their own property. The name they go by is odd, and I've never come across the reason. Search for "pantry transmitter" and you'll find them. It might have been better if they'd been called test sources, or something like that, without invoking the T-word.

David

Bazz4CQJ 25th Nov 2021 3:32 am

Many members of the forum have built a very simple pantry transmitter called the Minimod, and one member went as far as supplying a ready made printed circuit board for the project; https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...hlight=minimod. I think there's another DIY Pantry job called Spitfire.

B

Gabe001 25th Nov 2021 7:10 am

This is what the minimod looks and sound like (you will need to build a case). It's powered by a 9v battery and connected to my phone. There is no direct connection between the minimod and the radio

https://youtube.com/shorts/6by5oGwOFxk?feature=share

paulsherwin 25th Nov 2021 11:01 am

To clarify, we allow the discussion of so-called 'pantry transmitters' here, which aren't powerful enough to be heard significantly outside your property, though they are a legal grey area. We don't allow discussion of actual illegal broadcast transmitters or pirate broadcasting, no matter what the range.

There are many designs of pantry transmitter here and on the wider internet if you search. They have varying levels of complexity and can use valve, transistor and IC technology. Terms to use are 'pantry transmitter', 'microtransmitter' and the American 'phono oscillator'.

Ian - G4JQT 25th Nov 2021 12:56 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe001 (Post 1427214)
This is what the minimod looks and sound like (you will need to build a case). It's powered by a 9v battery and connected to my phone. There is no direct connection between the minimod and the radio

https://youtube.com/shorts/6by5oGwOFxk?feature=share

Useful video but it sounds like you've got a bit too much audio going into that MiniMod.

jagnut66 26th Nov 2021 11:18 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsherwin (Post 1427254)
To clarify, we allow the discussion of so-called 'pantry transmitters' here, which aren't powerful enough to be heard significantly outside your property, though they are a legal grey area. We don't allow discussion of actual illegal broadcast transmitters or pirate broadcasting, no matter what the range.

There are many designs of pantry transmitter here and on the wider internet if you search. They have varying levels of complexity and can use valve, transistor and IC technology. Terms to use are 'pantry transmitter', 'microtransmitter' and the American 'phono oscillator'.

It sounds like a 'pantry transmitter' is what I'm after then. But one with the added USB / CD facilities that I mentioned in my original post.
Does anyone know of someone who could build this?
Many thanks,
Mike.

Electronpusher0 28th Nov 2021 10:43 am

I think you will be unlucky trying to find someone to build an intergrated unit.
Probably the easiest way to go is to have separate CD player and a pantry tranmitter connected to each other by audio cable.

Peter

Chrispy57 28th Nov 2021 12:29 pm

Hi Mike,
perhaps you could clarify why you require a USB port - is it just for the ability to provide the DC power for your CD player?

Cheers
Chris

Gabe001 29th Nov 2021 7:57 am

For a fancy one with Bluetooth streaming and a smartphone app, have a look at this
https://www.6v6.co.uk/vcomp/pages/hurricane.htm

No affiliation and I don't have experience of one.

Gabriel

dglcomp 29th Nov 2021 10:19 am

Plenty of CD/USB players out there, either 19" rack sized ones or smaller units generally designed to be mounted in a PA amplifier or speaker, or a car radio with RCA outputs could also work, combine that with a pantry transmitter and you could have a nice compact setup.

jagnut66 2nd Dec 2021 1:01 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrispy57 (Post 1428089)
Hi Mike,
perhaps you could clarify why you require a USB port - is it just for the ability to provide the DC power for your CD player?

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,
So I can play WW2 broadcasts etc. that I have downloaded onto a memory stick.
Best wishes,
Mike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dglcomp (Post 1428306)
Plenty of CD/USB players out there, either 19" rack sized ones or smaller units generally designed to be mounted in a PA amplifier or speaker, or a car radio with RCA outputs could also work, combine that with a pantry transmitter and you could have a nice compact setup.

Struggling to find something suitable at present.......
Best wishes,
Mike.

Electronpusher0 2nd Dec 2021 12:16 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagnut66 (Post 1429180)

Hi Chris,
So I can play WW2 broadcasts etc. that I have downloaded onto a memory stick.
Best wishes,
Mike.

One possibility is a car radio / CD unit as these often have a USB port that you can plug a memory stick into and play mp3 files stored on it.
These often also have audio out connections as well as the speaker ones.
You would of course have to use a separate 12V supply but this could also power the Pantry transmitter.

Peter

wireman 3rd Dec 2021 1:45 pm

Perhaps it is my imagination but I seem to recall that when CD players were introduced you could get a player that would transmit to a car radio. They still seem to exist, this was one of the hits I got from a google search...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transmitter.../dp/B08G86JNBH

FrankB 30th Dec 2021 3:47 am

Well, I am not in the UK, but I have used an old RF signal generator that has an input for "Modulation". (In the U.S. 100mw is max license free legal output).

I have run a tape & CD player into it and it works great for a very limited distance. Not the best fidelity, I admit, but it works.
I use a 2' piece of wire from the RF output.

This method has the advantages that most folks have an RF generator with the Modulation input jacks, and you can easily set the frequency so you have no BCB or SW stations that interfere with it.

I used mine a lot when I restored a radio for a customer and they could hear the music on AM or SW in the store, before they took it home. (Besides having old radio programs playing through an antique radio in the shop always fascinated the customers, especially when playing the old radio serials or music.)