UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Cleaning a TR82CL (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=128698)

Martin Bush 10th Aug 2016 5:32 pm

Cleaning a TR82CL

Hello all

I have just purchased a non working tr82cl which looks like it's spent some time as a builders radio. I think it's been dropped or bumped at some point and it's filthy. That said I think I can get it going (amazing how fixing one radio up boosts your confidence) and it's in good nick under the grime and paint splashes.

My question is, what should I use to clean it? There's a variety of plastic colours on the set and i want to avoid anything that might take away the turquoise colour it seems to have retained.

White spirit? Fairy liquid and water in the sink? Foam cleaner?

Martin

paulsherwin 10th Aug 2016 5:35 pm

Re: Cleaning a tr82cl

Start with foam cleaner, then use T-cut if necessary. Remove the 'BUSH' lettering first.

You may be able to get most of the paint splashes off using a fingernail or an old credit card.

Martin Bush 10th Aug 2016 5:40 pm

OK. How do you remove the lettering?

Is the colour a layer I run the risk of removing or is the plastic the same throughout? I ask as I've seen the phrase 'still retains its turquoise colour' in descriptions of these sets.

paulsherwin 10th Aug 2016 5:45 pm

You push the lettering out from inside using a bent paperclip.

I think the plastic is turquoise all the way through - if so, this should be obvious once you take the back off. I don't have one so can't check.

You will obviously need to be careful with things like T-cut if the turquoise is just a thin layer, but this seems unlikely.

Martin Bush 10th Aug 2016 5:48 pm

Cheers Paul. I will proceed with caution as always.

I thought it was the law that all vintage radio enthusiasts had to have at least one of these :)

Tim 10th Aug 2016 5:59 pm

Quote:

I thought it was the law that all vintage radio enthusiasts had to have at least one of these
Most of us have. I'm surprised there are any left still out there! :)

Good luck and look forward to seeing some pics/success story when it's done.

sobell1980 10th Aug 2016 5:59 pm

Great sets, Martin. I owned one until my wife's friend fell in love with it and insisted she had it for her camper van.
So now I'm without but they are a dream to work on and sound great. Does it need much work electrically?
Dave.

Martin Bush 10th Aug 2016 6:10 pm

Seeing s it's totally dead I don't know yet!

But I have a feeling I can work it out. If not it will be a safe way to learn about the sets for if I get a better one I don't want to muck up.

I have a DAC10 in the queue first, but I expect I will give this one a clean when I have ten .minutes here And there .

paulsherwin 10th Aug 2016 7:41 pm

It's got AF117s in it. Fortunately these are ridiculously easy to change in this set, and lots of cheap alternatives will work. The wavechange switches also usually need a good clean, as does the earphone socket switch.

Herald1360 10th Aug 2016 10:22 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Bush (Post 869333)
I thought it was the law that all vintage radio enthusiasts had to have at least one of these

Oh dear, I haven't got any TR82s. Can I get away with two VTR103s?

I don't have any DAC90(A)s either.

Nickthedentist 10th Aug 2016 11:06 pm

I cleaned mine in warm water with Fairy liquid, plus a softish nail brush.

The colour on these can change if exposed to prolonged sunlight, but I'd be amazed if a gentle clean did any damage.

N.

Martin Bush 10th Aug 2016 11:06 pm

I can do you a swap if you Iike - I'd love a VTR103 :)

While we are on the subject of this type of set, are the clear dials salvageable if they have gone cloudy? Is there a source of replacements if not?

Nickthedentist 10th Aug 2016 11:08 pm

Generally, you can't recover a cloudy dial. The main thing is not to break it when removing it. Do a forum seach!

Some people have sacrificed a repro set and glued the front "lens" of the new dial onto the boss of the old. A botch, but could work well if you have the skill.

N.

paulsherwin 10th Aug 2016 11:26 pm

You can improve the cloudiness by rubbing it vigorously with T-cut, but it's hard work, and only gives some improvement. The best fix is to find a scrap TR82 with a smashed case, but these are thin on the ground.

Martin Bush 10th Aug 2016 11:31 pm

I will see how the dial is looking over the weekend. I packed it away safely earlier and, judging by the overall look of the set, it is as likely to be a film of grime as cloudy perspex.

Now I've started thinking about it I can see myself unwrapping it and getting down to some cleaning shortly.

Refugee 10th Aug 2016 11:33 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I loosen and remove the chassis screws and move the chassis to get a line of sight to the dial boss.
I then poke it off the tuning capacitor with a long screwdriver being careful not to bend the tuning pointer.

paulsherwin 10th Aug 2016 11:37 pm

It should just pull off, but can be stubborn after not being moved for over 50 years.

Martin Bush 11th Aug 2016 2:38 pm

Re: Cleaning a TR82CL

Thanks Catswhiskers. I may look into that depending on cost - how much does kit cost?

I should Also ask generally about the Rexine type covering on the side - is white spirit safe to use on stubborn stains?

Martin Bush 15th Aug 2016 9:09 am

I have made some good progress on this having dismantled the case and attacked it with white spirit then brasso wadding.

However I want to give T-Cut a go to see if I can get further faster.

There seems to be a wide range of T-Cuts available - is there one in particular that is best for the this purpose? They all seem to have some sort of colouring in them which I want to avoid.

paulsherwin 15th Aug 2016 10:29 am

You want the bog standard sort in the red tubes or bottles. It shouldn't be coloured in any way. Halfords do an own brand version, and there is also a version sold in Poundland. Look for 'cutting compound' or 'scratch remover'.

If you search for threads on bakelite restoration you will find lots of other cutting compounds recommended. They all work in the same way, it's just that some are more aggressive than others.