UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Amateur and Military Radio (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Marconi Marine Pantenna III (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=135156)

Harry Seldon 25th Mar 2017 6:38 pm

Marconi Marine Pantenna III

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I have just picked up this Marconi Marine Pantenna III from a local charity shop and I have no idea what it is (preamp?). I can't find much information or pictures anywhere on the inter-web. Any information would be very appreciated.

Harry Seldon 25th Mar 2017 7:19 pm

Re: Marconi Marine Pantenna III

2 Attachment(s)
Just opened it up. It's a Pantenna AM/FM Amplifier. Serial No. 1140.

AC/HL 26th Mar 2017 12:55 am

There's a reference here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...4&postcount=50

GW3OQK Andrew 26th Mar 2017 7:46 pm

Harry, A 75 ohm coax would go from cabin to cabin, each cabin having an output box that had something simple like a 1K resistor and a .1 uF cap to feed a radio. The very far end of the coax was terminated with a 75 ohm resistor.

It would be most useful for all of us who have numerous receivers. You might site it and its aerial far from the house to minimise local qrm.

I was most familiar with the Redifon valved version. Crew members would try and get better signals by opening up the box and tapping in. It was usually a devil of a job to find multiple faults and breaks in the line.

Sometime the r/o would feed in a sig gen at about 600 kHz, modulating the sig gen with an HF receiver tuned to the BBC world service.

73, Andrew

Julesomega 30th Dec 2019 10:56 am

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the photos of this unit - the manual has none. I got a manual recently, just to see some details. Further to what Synchrodyne said this comes in three versions to give additional Band II or Bands I+II distribution. The basic unit is specified for 100kHz -30MHz and includes filtering with sharp stopbands for the marine bands 370-550kHz and 1.6-4.0MHz. Four outputs are available to supply chains of up to 20 'outlets' in cabins, and slave amplifiuers were available to expand the capacity.

Further options were a high-impedance active antenna pre-amplifier and a modulator to provide a local feed of additional programme material as Andrew mentioned. DC and AC PSUs were offered.

Main devices were BFY90 with a dual-gate 40822 MOSFET for the pre-amplifier. The stopband filter is a passive 14-pole unit. I attach the main schematics.

coil1234 2nd Jan 2020 1:05 pm

3 Attachment(s)
I've parts of this system, which I rescued when I removed it to free up space on a bulkhead on one of my vessels. I hoping to use them as the basis of a "pantry transmitter."
I thought I had also rescued the complete manual, but can only find the circuits for the bits that I've got.

Mike A

Julesomega 2nd Jan 2020 1:51 pm

Mike - The only other bit of my manual which could be of use to you is the AM/FM diplexer unit, let me know and I'll scan that.

Regarding pantry transmitters, I'm sure we'd all like a view inside the modulator, the two coils being the only parts not specified on the schematic.

coil1234 2nd Jan 2020 3:41 pm

4 Attachment(s)
Hello Julian,
attached photos of the inside of the AM Modulator.
No Markings on the coils I'm afraid, however the circuit shows them both as "RP 208" Repanco? Denco? I assume they are off the shelf items. Marconi made coils would have had "WISxxxxx" or something similar written on the can.

Regards Mike A

Julesomega 9th Jan 2020 12:05 am

Thanks for that, Mike. Don't know why I never considered they would be in screening cans, but it should be easy to find a pair of suitable RF coils with matching taps or windings. A typical IFT with the fixed cap removed should give coverage of the lower half of MW, say 530-1,000kHz.