UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Black & Decker chuck (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149398)

Hampus 31st Aug 2018 11:28 pm

Black & Decker chuck

2 Attachment(s)
I have an older B&D electric drill with a hedge trimmer attachment. It is quite heavy so I don't use it, I bought a newer dedicated trimmer instead. I was thinking about making a drill out of this again. Cutting a hedge must equal a lot of drilling but It seems healthy and the bearings not worn out.

The chuck has been lost by the previous owner but I am wondering if I can transplant the chuck from a broken drill I have somewhere?

Removing the trimmer attachment did not make me any wiser ??? I don't see how the chuck would be mounted on the spindle... Is the drill missing some crusial part? I have never changed a drill chuck so I have no clue.

Station X 31st Aug 2018 11:56 pm

Re: Black & Decker chuck

I think you'll find that the flat drive dog unscrews and a chuck can be screwed in its place.

barrymagrec 1st Sep 2018 6:18 am

Black and Decker chucks have a 3/8 X 24 male thread so as Graham says, that drive dog will just unscrew - you may need to grip it with something like a Mole Wrench.

Most small drill chucks have the same thread but on most other makes the chuck is female - should be plenty of broken B & Ds about though.

Radio Wrangler 1st Sep 2018 7:23 am

New chucks aren't terribly expensive, and it's not fun fighting with worn chocks and chuck keys. Chucks wear out faster than good drills, so really good tool shops usually keep a range in stock.

That drive dog may be in rather tightly. You'll need to put grips on it and likely use a sharp tap with a light hammer to free it. It's a normal right-hand thread.

B&D normally fitted Davies 'Multicraft' chucks. Some were OK, some cheaper models were too soft. Rohm chucks I've found are much better.

David

KeithsTV 1st Sep 2018 7:54 am

I have an old Black & Decker drill with several attachments, although I rarely use them these days. That drive dog looks familiar as it's used to drive a couple of the attachments and as RW says will be screwed in tightly and a sharp tap with a hammer is the way to remove it. It usually takes several taps to loosen it.

Keith

60 oldjohn 1st Sep 2018 9:46 am

Quote:

It usually takes several taps to loosen it.
Drill should be in be in I Low gear to put more resistance against the motor turning.
John.

emeritus 1st Sep 2018 10:01 am

B & D drills of that era usually have a female thread, so you will need a chuck with a male thread. Most modern drills seem to have a male thread, used with chucks having female threads. In reversible drills the chuck is made more sexcure by a screw having a left-hand thread whose head can be seen by looking into the jaws of the chuck.

Refugee 1st Sep 2018 11:21 am

Some times you can hold the drive end with grips and swing it backwards and forwards to loosen it.
Circular saws were easier as you could offer the teeth up against a bit of scrap wood in a vice.

Hampus 6th Sep 2018 11:21 pm

Thank you for your help, it did indeed unscrew using some persuasion.

PaulR 16th Sep 2018 5:52 pm

As a matter of interest the hedge trimmer handle is used to unscrew the flat driver. There is a slot in it which can be seen in the first picture. The flat of the drive fits into that. You then give the handle a sharp tap to loosen the drive. I used one for years until the gears in the trimmer attachment wore out and, yes, it was heavy and didn't have the instant stop feature of modern dedicated hedge trimmers.

Hampus 17th Sep 2018 4:24 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Ah I see, that is ingenious. I would never have thought of that :dunce:

This drill was in the garage along with many other things when I moved to my current home . As luck would have it I found both the missing chuck and the key a few days ago in a drawer when I was looking for a hammer. It is a Röhm chuck.