UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Substance applied to Radio circuit board screws ? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=158429)

Demented 28th Jul 2019 11:51 pm

Substance applied to Radio circuit board screws ?

As subject title suggests; I’m wondering what is the actual substance, I guess a glue, that was applied to the metal internal screws of Transistor Radios of the the 1970's and 80's.

I believe it must be some kind of screw lock but I don’t recall it being applied to the screw threads, only over the screw and onto the circuit board or plastic radio housing; it’s really tough but rubbery, stretchy and kind of a similar colour to a traditional rubber band.

Herald1360 29th Jul 2019 10:07 am

Re: Substance applied to Radio circuit board screws ?

No idea what it is but it may be more of a tamper evident seal than a locking compound. To some extent it could be both, of course.

FIXITNOW 29th Jul 2019 10:56 am

RS still do it 196-5245 tamper seal

but I just use any old nail varnish my daughters have stopped using

G6Tanuki 29th Jul 2019 12:01 pm

The stuff I remember was semi-soft, a bit like dried-out bubblegum.

A similar but slightly more-waxy brown 'goop' was commonplace in Japanese electronics from the 70s onwards - typically slopped over 'open coil' tuned-circuits in things like FM/TV front-ends, presumably to reduce vibration.

This stuff degrades with age, significantly reducing the 'Q' of the coils. Sometimes to the point where the equipment ceases to function! A while back I had a little "Totsuko" SSB transceiver given to me because it didn't work. It had a VXO for frequency-control and the VXO coil was liberally covered with this goop, as was the piece of foam that was stuffed inside the turns of the coil. I was able to unsolder both ends of the coil and remove it from the radio - then dose it with some MEK to dissolve the goop.

Reinstalled, happiness (and VXO function) was restored.

I've seen this 'coil goop' on the FM tuned-circuits of some later Roberts portables - so beware!

Jon_G4MDC 29th Jul 2019 1:10 pm

I alays thought that was Evo-stik. (Evil-stik?)

Radio Wrangler 29th Jul 2019 1:20 pm

Icom used to use the rubbery stuff to lock trimmer capacitors by just applying a big dod of the stuff.

Problem is, 20 years on, we found it rotted the metal parts of the trimmer away.

DAvid

Argus25 29th Jul 2019 1:32 pm

Mostly in Japanese radios of the 1970's era, any locking compound there was simply enamel paint, not a nail varnish. They had a penchant for white.

The Japanese did produce a professional screw thread locking compound. It was not used in domestic appliances. Olympus used it in their medical equipment, various fiber-optic scopes. It was a transparent red varnish called Neji-lock.

I think this is the same stuff:

https://www.techsil.co.uk/threebond-1401c-200gm

Graham G3ZVT 29th Jul 2019 2:17 pm

There was some stickey stuff that was intended aid assembly by temporary sticking screwheads to the tool.
I remember it on tuner push-button units in small-screen ITT TV sets and I knew what it was because I had seen the technique shown on Tomorrow's World.

Steve G4WCS 31st Jul 2019 11:24 am

I know the substance you refer to. If you want to replicate it this stuff is the most similar you will get.

https://www.selfadhesive.co.uk/3m-tr...SABEgLS5PD_BwE

Demented 18th Aug 2019 5:22 am

Thank you to everyone who has been good enough to reply, offer opinions and provide a link.

I’m sorry for not replying sooner, I wasn’t notified of replies and I didn’t expect to receive so many, thanks.

My question was out of curiosity, after stumbling across a thread lock question within a drone web-forum; which got me wondering why such a substance it not available as a thread lock for metal screws into nylon/plastic etc;

I seem to remember this stuff being applied over the screws within radio circuit board but not to the thread, although it was quite robust and rubbery without becoming brittle over time, nor did it appear to cause damage to the plastic casing it may of flowed onto during application.

Terry_VK5TM 18th Aug 2019 1:53 pm

Another one is Loktite 'Stick & Seal' Extreme, red colour or Loktite 'Stick & Seal' Indoor, green colour.

Demented 20th Aug 2019 7:39 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Terry; although, I’m no expert, it appears the consensus within the Radio Control/Drone Community, is that the likes of Loktite thread lock causes damage to plastic, either making it brittle or just not that effective; it was this opinion that got me thinking of the substance applied to Radio circuit board screws.

Terry_VK5TM 21st Aug 2019 2:04 am

The Loktite stuff I mentioned is not thread lock, it is like that red stuff you find spread over the top of screws.

Specs indicate it is ok for a wide variety different materials but I haven't tried (or needed to use) it.

Demented 21st Aug 2019 2:15 am

Thanks for the info & sorry for my misunderstanding; as it’s by Loctite, I thought it was the thread lock which the RC/Drone community appear to shy away from.

Craig Sawyers 21st Aug 2019 6:00 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo1152 (Post 1164348)
There was some stickey stuff that was intended aid assembly by temporary sticking screwheads to the tool.
I remember it on tuner push-button units in small-screen ITT TV sets and I knew what it was because I had seen the technique shown on Tomorrow's World.

For similarly out of the way screws, when putting stuff back together, I use a dot of blu-tak between the driver and the head.

Craig

The Philpott 21st Aug 2019 9:39 am

Referring back to Post No.1-
After encountering this stuff fixing a 'modern' Bush boombox I can say that the glue (or its oxidation products) do soldering iron tips no good at all. Ideally I would have cleaned 100% of it away before soldering, but in some situations the glue is tougher than the components that it's attached to, and I had to burn some of it to deprive it of its mechanical strength.

Dave

donutty 23rd Aug 2019 11:49 am

I think the stuff you are referring to could be products such as Threebond, as already suggested:

https://www.yoycart.com/Product/27156656020/

I used to work for a Japanese electronics maker and this is what they used (in the 2000s, but probably the same kind of glue back in the 70s, 80s and 90s). I still have a couple of bottles somewhere!

It is used not just as a threadlocker but 'Agent for preventing screw loosening, leaks and rust'.

If you look at the datasheet, you will see some things that would make sense for it's use in economically priced products:

• Use of washers, split pins, double nuts can be eliminated.
• TB1401 permits use of less accurate screws and bolts. In addition, this enables users to save
much material cost.
• Material control can be simplified. Up to now, many kinds of washers, splits pins and other devices
were prepared to meet specific requirements. However, TB 1401 can be used universally
irregardless of shapes and sizes of screws.
• TB 1401 can be used again even when designs of machinery are changed.
• No skills are required in application.

Applied to the screw head it can prevent rusting; see the following where it (different brand) is shown exactly for putting on screw heads:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...d=578633127004

For me it really is iconic for it's ubiquitous use on those paper-resin PCBs in vintage electronics. Second only to wax and that little scrunched up piece of foam in/on coils in transistor radios!!!

AC/HL 23rd Aug 2019 12:01 pm

When I was working on light aircraft avionics we had a kit of oddments from Motorola for the weather radars. There was a bottle of what looked like red nail varnish called "staking lacquer". For locking screw heads I assume, I never really found a use for it as it was already partially set.

Refugee 23rd Aug 2019 12:59 pm

I would just use ordinary screwlock.
It is sold by many manufacturers including Locktite.
Studlock is the green non removable kind.
Screwlock is either blue or pink.

McMurdo 23rd Aug 2019 3:36 pm

I've heard it described as Sony Bond, which is a type of elasticated gluey stuff dripped over pcbs. If it touches anything hot it turns brown and then conductive, with a clear oily discharge that dissolves the component eventually.

terrykc 23rd Aug 2019 4:15 pm

What I recall was like cellulose paint on screws and, in particular, trimmers, to stop them moving with vibration. It was thin enough to allow movement if necessary, it just cracked.

My memory is of a green paint used by Grundig.

I've used nail varnish to do the same job after realignment - I also used it for creating the resist for one-off printed circuits.

As for the sticky stuff used for picking up small screws, etc. mentioned in post#8 - essential for retrieving dropped brass nuts and washer from awkward places - I used to use the sticky stuff that came with the sets - the wax in the end of waxed paper capacitors!

When plasticised caps put in an appearance I adopted the practice of throwing all the waxies I changed into a box that sat on the side of my desk.

When I changed my job and only saw 'modern' stuff (well it was in 1970!) I regretted not taking that box with me!

Richard_FM 23rd Aug 2019 10:13 pm

A lot of older portable radio PCBs from the Far East had a layer of wax dripped over them to stop the components to stop them moving due to being loosely soldered.

emeritus 23rd Aug 2019 10:34 pm

Re # 8 and #21, the red wax from Babybell cheeses is excellent for retrieving small parts.

terrykc 26th Aug 2019 3:55 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_FM (Post 1170716)
A lot of older portable radio PCBs from the Far East had a layer of wax dripped over them to stop the components to stop them moving due to being loosely soldered.

That's not quite right.

I think you'll find that the wax was mainly used in FM radios with airspaced inductors. The alignment involved stretching and compressing the inductors as necessary and then applying the wax to stop them moving. It also stopped microphony which would be a bit of a problem if it affected the oscillator coil!

The wax may have covered other nearby components as well, as the wax puddle spread out before setting.

peter_sol 30th Aug 2019 7:35 am

I think the stuff referred to in post 1 was not intended to specifically cover screws but just landed there. I think it was intended to hold some components to the board.
similar to "evostick".