UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Speaker cabinet refurbishment. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=159161)

stuart_morgan_64 23rd Aug 2019 5:54 pm

Speaker cabinet refurbishment.

2 Attachment(s)
I need to tidy these speakers up a little, I just need some advice of treating the cabinets. They are marked as can be seen, and they are rough to touch. I was going to use some stain and danish oil, however how do I remove the stains ect. It is veneer over chipboard.

TrevorG3VLF 24th Aug 2019 4:02 pm

Re: Speaker cabinet refurbishment.

Wipe over with white spirit to see what they will look like when varnished.
If still poor, then the existing finish will need to be removed and the surface smoothed. The veneer could be very thin and is easily rubbed through.

stevehertz 24th Aug 2019 5:41 pm

Treat them with scratch cover polish (a few brands available, just google it). You may find that that is enough. If it isn't, sand down and refinish using Wilko quick dry satin varnish.

DonaldStott 25th Aug 2019 1:29 pm

I've used this stuff on tables, chairs and other furniture - available for various wood types: -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Howard-RF10...type=ss&sr=1-1

PaulR 26th Aug 2019 7:57 pm

Rub down with fine wire wool then treat with Danish oil? I have had good results on a water stained coffee table using this method.

PJL 27th Aug 2019 8:12 pm

That looks like teak to me so oil is the right finish. Best not to stain it.

G6Tanuki 28th Aug 2019 10:11 am

I'd definitely go the oil way. Either Teak Oil or Danish Oil. Could be worth trying it out on the bottom of the cabinet first, so you get a feel for the absorbency of the wood and to what extent the colour changes when the oil is absorbed.

Personally, I like Danish Oil because it leaves a matt, not shiny finish.

PaulR 28th Aug 2019 10:25 am

There seem to be several formulations of both teak and Danish oil based on linseed oil with additives to hasten drying. I bet that at extremes the formulations overlap. I have had very good results from Danish oil including on a "slate" clock!

Radio Wrangler 28th Aug 2019 11:50 am

Beware when using these oils. The rag you used to apply it can be a fire hazard by spontaneous combustion. Linseed is notorious.

David

stuart_morgan_64 28th Aug 2019 3:55 pm

Fireworks! Will be carefull thanks. The only thing I am concerned about is I will be left with patches as there is already, I would assume I will have to get them a even colour in the first place.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Craig Sawyers 28th Aug 2019 4:46 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler (Post 1171756)
Beware when using these oils. The rag you used to apply it can be a fire hazard by spontaneous combustion. Linseed is notorious.

David

Indeed.

The solution is to open the rag out, and not leave it wadded up in a lump.

Craig

stuart_morgan_64 28th Aug 2019 4:57 pm

I didn't know this, after googling and watching a video I feel stupid not knowing.

PaulR 28th Aug 2019 6:58 pm

I have treated patchy surfaces with fine wire wool followed by several coats of Danish oil with good results. The more problematical area could be the partly faded panel in the second photograph. There will always be some shading but that happens with wood anyway. Could you try a less visible area first?