UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Forum Announcements and Comments (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Adding Greek letters to posts. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=173330)

Uncle Bulgaria 20th Nov 2020 6:37 am

Adding Greek letters to posts.

Split from this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=173296

Even more technically, if you want to write µ it's Alt + 0181 on Windows! I can thank this forum for telling me that.

If it's not the motor, it could be one of the components you mentioned on the armature. Check those capacitors for leakage at the rated voltage.

DMcMahon 20th Nov 2020 11:54 am

Re: Motorola 251 8 Track Motor Resistor Burn Out!

Thank you Uncle Bulgaria, I did know that but for some unknown reason when I try it in a Forum new message (OK elsewhere) when I type 1 it exits the message ?

David

ms660 20th Nov 2020 11:56 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMcMahon (Post 1312379)
Thank you Uncle Bulgaria, I did know that but for some unknown reason when I try it in a Forum new message (OK elsewhere) when I type 1 it exits the message ?

Same here, tried a few times, no go.

Lawrence.

Station X 20th Nov 2020 12:11 pm

Assuming you're using a PC you need to use the numeric keypad, not the keys along the top of the keyboard.

µµµµ

The character appears when you release the ALT key.

DMcMahon 20th Nov 2020 12:21 pm

Thank you Graham, now working on PC.

µµµ

David

ms660 20th Nov 2020 12:29 pm

Cheers for that.....µ....

Just need Pi and squared and cubed now without trawling through some endless character map....anyone?

Lawrence.

DMcMahon 20th Nov 2020 12:43 pm

Alt 0178 and 0179.

Pi is supposed to be Alt 227 but no good for me.

Refugee 20th Nov 2020 1:18 pm

You need an old DOS 6.2 paper manual.
They used to have a full list at the back.

Uncle Bulgaria 20th Nov 2020 3:04 pm

Ah, sorry! I forgot to mention the numpad bit. I was reading up on this the other day when I wanted to write 'pi' when Lawrence was explaining screen grid losses. I had the same experience as you, David: it doesn't work, and the character map has no Alt code for pi for whatever reason (UK keyboard, Windows 10...)

However, a post on the Windows board revealed that Alt codes are not considered part of modern Unicode setups, with hex codes being preferred. In my character map, a small pi is U+03C0. We need to make sure all Unicode characters are allowed, so we have to add a string to the 'input method' in the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Input Method.

Under Input Method we create a new string with the name EnableHexNumpad; double-click on it in the right-hand pane and change its value to '1'. After a restart, I can use the left Alt as the 'U' in U+03C0 and type π.

Caveats: the '+' is required as a keypress, unlike in the Alt code where it represents holding down the Alt key while typing the numbers, although holding down the Alt for the duration of entering the code is required. The initial zero is not required though. Thus holding down Alt and typing +03c0 or +3c0 results in the same output of pi. One can use this for any Hexcode entry in the character map (obtainable swiftly in Windows 10 by pressing the Windows key and starting to type 'character map'. For me it pops up as soon as I type 'C', perhaps because I've done it a few times!)

Anyway, after that swoop through the registry I'll stop before the Motorola is entirely lost in the dust.

ms660 20th Nov 2020 3:20 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMcMahon (Post 1312402)
Alt 0178 and 0179.

Pi is supposed to be Alt 227 but no good for me.

I tried all of those on the number pad but as soon as I press 7 the PC screen goes to Google search.

Lawrence.

DMcMahon 20th Nov 2020 3:25 pm

That is a shame it works for me

X² Y³

David

DMcMahon 20th Nov 2020 3:32 pm

Followed the instructions but struggling to get Pi to work.

ms660 20th Nov 2020 3:48 pm

Re: Adding Greek letters to posts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMcMahon (Post 1312460)
That is a shame it works for me

X² Y³

I tried again in the reply box on this forum to be sure ....as soon as I press 7 the screen goes to Google search but if I carry on and complete the number sequence then let go of Alt then the resulting symbol eg: the one for squared or cubed, is displayed in the Google search box???

Lawrence.

Magical 20th Nov 2020 6:31 pm

Well, this is all well and good, but in the meantime my 8 track is smouldering away in the corner ;-)
Thanks for the tips on u....I’m on my iPad now so no idea how to get a proper u symbol up. Anyone?

Magical 20th Nov 2020 6:34 pm

Will do Uncle Bulgaria

kalee20 20th Nov 2020 6:55 pm

If using the numeric keypad on a modern keyboard, try hitting NumLock first.

Also: Some programs, Alt-919 gives Ω, sometimes Alt-937.

For μ it's alt-931 or alt-956

For π, alt-935 or alt-960.

ms660 20th Nov 2020 7:16 pm

Still can't get it to work, keeps going to Google or another page on UKVRR as soon as I press 7 or 9 respectively on the number keypad???

Only way is when it goes to Google and displays the result of entering Alt+0178 into the Googles search box is to cut and paste it from there??????

Got a feeling that Google and Windows 10 have a problem at the moment.

Lawrence.

Guest 20th Nov 2020 7:30 pm

We could try content over style and simply spell out the required.

Nuvistor 20th Nov 2020 7:52 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magical (Post 1312516)
Well, this is all well and good, but in the meantime my 8 track is smouldering away in the corner ;-)
Thanks for the tips on u....I’m on my iPad now so no idea how to get a proper u symbol up. Anyone?

Αdd the Greek keyboard. Settings/General/Keyboards/Add New Keyboard select the Greek one. Choose which keyboard to use with the Globe sign on the bottom left of the keyboard.
Ω μ η θ α β Etc .

ms660 20th Nov 2020 7:54 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell (Post 1312540)
We could try content over style and simply spell out the required.

I normally that's what I have done and hope that folks that read my posts understand, but I would like to use the proper symbols without scrolling through reams of symbols in a character map or having to do a semester on how to use a computer.

Lawrence.

Dave Moll 20th Nov 2020 8:06 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Refugee (Post 1312412)
You need an old DOS 6.2 paper manual.
They used to have a full list at the back.

Is this what you're after?

Dave Moll 20th Nov 2020 8:12 pm

There are also the following variants:
Multilingual (Latin I)
Slavic (Latin II)
Portuguese
Canadian-French
Nordic

Radio Wrangler 20th Nov 2020 8:12 pm

Cut and paste works. Here's one I stole from Graham:

µ

Accessing symbols is different on an Apple. Somewhere there is a picker window to open and then it's just cut and paste.

David

Dave Moll 20th Nov 2020 8:14 pm

Personally, I usually use Character Map. It gives me a wider range - and I don't need to remember the ASCII codes.

ms660 20th Nov 2020 8:17 pm

I can can cut and paste anything.....But an Alt+ code that works for Pi on my PC would be good as would the same for squared and cubed....no luck with the replies so far, only one that does the biz is Alt+0181 for µ.

EDIT: Post crossed.

Lawrence.

Dave Moll 20th Nov 2020 8:33 pm

ALT+0178 = ² (squared)
ALT+0179 = ³ (cubed)
also ALT+0176 = ° (degrees)
but I can't find a "π" anywhere amongst either the ALT+nnn or ALT+0nnn (which give two different sets of results).

By the way, when using the numeric keypad, one needs NUM LOCK on.

ajgriff 20th Nov 2020 8:37 pm

⅐ à Φ ε ω ℃ ® ™ % µ

All done in a couple of clicks using Win 10 touch screen keyboard which also works with mouse clicks in the usual way. No codes or character map needed.

Alan

ms660 20th Nov 2020 8:41 pm

And again for the avoidance any of doubt, while writing this post I tried Alt+227 for the Pi sign, as soon as I pressed the 7 key on the number keypad the screen shot to Google search, at which point I released the ALT key, and as soon as I did that this.....Ò.....appeared in the Google search box, so I copied it, on returning to this post I'm writing there was no change, in other words no symbol had been added so I pasted the one I had copied, the one you see in this post.

Lawrence.

G6Tanuki 20th Nov 2020 8:45 pm

A lot of "what gets shown" depends on what the viewer is using to render the content: traditional ASCII and the sort of "Codepages" used in the days-of-DOS are rather restricted in what they can display.

Equally, not all PC/console/TV/browsers/phone-apps support or consistently render the full spectrum of Unicode-encoded characters - indeed, their renderings may vary with what local/regionalisations you have selected.

Don't make assumptions about what your reader's equipment can display.

[This also causes issues for the visually/mechanically-handicapped who are using screen-to-voice readers].

ms660 20th Nov 2020 8:45 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajgriff (Post 1312567)
⅐ à Φ ε ω ℃ ® ™ % µ

All done in a couple of clicks using Win 10 touch screen keyboard which also works with mouse clicks in the usual way. No codes or character map needed

Thanks, should I be able to get that on my PC? If so how? I've got Windows 10 and Edge installed.

Lawrence.

Dave Moll 20th Nov 2020 8:50 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms660 (Post 1312570)
as soon as I pressed the 7 key on the number keypad the screen shot to Google search

This implies that the keypad is not in number mode, as ALT+HOME (which is ALT+7 on the numeric keypad) takes me to Google search.

Station X 20th Nov 2020 9:00 pm

Pres "Num Lock", light will illuminate.

Then hold down ALT and type 227 on the numeric keypad.

You'll get π.

As Dave says, without number lock active, 7 will take you to your home page and if that happens to be Google π will appear in the search box.

ajgriff 20th Nov 2020 9:03 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms660 (Post 1312576)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajgriff (Post 1312567)
⅐ à Φ ε ω ℃ ® ™ % µ

All done in a couple of clicks using Win 10 touch screen keyboard which also works with mouse clicks in the usual way. No codes or character map needed

Thanks, should I be able to get that on my PC? If so how? I've got Windows 10 and Edge installed.

Lawrence.

I confess I'm using a 2 in 1 laptop but the touch screen keyboard is built into Win 10 and should be accessible using any PC. There should be a keyboard symbol on the right hand side of the task bar. If not I think the feature can be turned on via Windows Settings.

Once the keyboard is visible click on the Fn button in the bottom left corner and the Ω symbol should appear next to it instead of the smiley button. Click on Ω and a panel to the right appears for selecting characters in various categories. A little scrolling needed but much easier than character map.

By the way, if you have character map displayed I think there's a search function. Type in Euro and it should find €.

Alan

ms660 20th Nov 2020 9:07 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Station X (Post 1312585)
Pres "Num Lock" light will illuminate.

Then hold down ALT and type 227 on the numeric keypad..

You'll get π.

There's no key on my PC that says number lock, there's one that says Num and has a downward pointing arrow next to it.... and on the same key is also Scr also with a downward pointing arrow next to it, Scr and the arrow being enclosed in a rectangle....?

Lawrence.

AC/HL 20th Nov 2020 9:08 pm

Right click on the taskbar, keyboard is one of the options.

Station X 20th Nov 2020 9:09 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms660 (Post 1312589)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Station X (Post 1312585)
Pres "Num Lock" light will illuminate.

Then hold down ALT and type 227 on the numeric keypad..

You'll get π.

There's no key on my PC that says number lock, there's one that says Num and has a downward pointing arrow next to it.... and on the same key is also Scr also with a downward pointing arrow next to it, Scr and the arrow being enclosed in a rectangle....?

Lawrence.

I expect NUM has the same function. My Num Lock key is at top left of the numeric keypad on the three keyboards I've checked.

Dave Moll 20th Nov 2020 9:14 pm

As it is on mine.

ms660 20th Nov 2020 9:18 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Station X (Post 1312592)
I expect NUM has the same function. My Num Lock key is at top left of the numeric keypad on the three keyboards I've checked.

Ok, pressed that Num key then did Alt + 227 it didn't shoot to Google and this is the symbol that appeared in this post....Ò....:

Lawrence.

ms660 20th Nov 2020 9:26 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC/HL (Post 1312590)
Right click on the taskbar, keyboard is one of the options.

I did that and a keyboard icon appeared on the taskbar, clicked on it and nothing happened ?

Lawrence.

Station X 20th Nov 2020 9:38 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms660 (Post 1312599)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Station X (Post 1312592)

Ok, pressed that Num key then did Alt + 227 it didn't shoot to Google and this is the symbol that appeared in this post....Ò....:

Lawrence.

How strange. I have to type Alt 0210 to get a Ò

ms660 20th Nov 2020 9:46 pm

Cheer's Graham, it's a mystery to me too, because entering the three number code for µ (Alt + 230) returns just that.....µ.....

Lawrence.

Station X 20th Nov 2020 10:03 pm

The behaviour of the numeric keypad depends on your keyboard and language options.

Mine are set to English (United Kingdom) United Kingdom Keyboard. If I select an American keyboard layout ALT + 227 stops working.

ms660 20th Nov 2020 10:11 pm

Graham, mine is set the same as yours is "English (United Kingdom) United Kingdom keyboard"

All a bit strange.

Lawrence.

Uncle Bulgaria 20th Nov 2020 10:31 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Goodness - a glass of wine later and this has grown to three pages!

Yes, it's a minefield. For me Ò is Alt+227. You can sometimes get different things for left and right Alt keys.

You have to check on your own character map. For me, (UK English, UK keyboard) there is no Alt code for Pi, so I discovered the method for making the hex code work. See attached snip. I have to look in the 'Unicode' section of the Character Map to find Pi, while Mu is also available in the much more limited 'DOS Western Europe' section (second snip - note Alt code bottom right, Hex bottom left). There is no Pi available in my DOS Western Europe list, so I have to use the Unicode hex.

Dave Moll 20th Nov 2020 11:07 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Station X (Post 1312608)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ms660 (Post 1312599)

Lawrence.

How strange. I have to type Alt 0210 to get a Ò

Yes, those both give the same character.

emeritus 20th Nov 2020 11:12 pm

This issue was raised in a thread a few years ago. In XP the issue was what character set had been selected in one of the settings menus. With the US set, ALT + 227 gave Pi, whereas with the default character set as Multilingual (Latin 1), it gave Ò. I don't have a Windows 10 system so don't know what or where the corresponding menus/settings are.

Tim 20th Nov 2020 11:31 pm

Could we have a few of the common characters added to the Emojis on "go advanced"?

emeritus 21st Nov 2020 2:09 am

This was the old thread:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=108843

My experience with XP is at #11

ms660 21st Nov 2020 10:57 am

So how do I get Pi using Alt + a number code....Anyone?

Lawrence.

Dave Moll 21st Nov 2020 11:19 am

As I implied earlier, I don't think you can with the standard UK English character set. It's only available as a Unicode.