UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Cheap display rack/shelving (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=134899)

stevehertz 17th Mar 2017 12:15 pm

Cheap display rack/shelving

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought this garage shelving unit that I'm using in my workshop for (kind of) display purposes but mainly for work in progress 'storage' of some of my vintage hifi receivers. It's a heavy/strong plastic unit that will hold a massive 50kg per shelf. It wouldn't be out of place as in indoor display unit for radios or whatever in a dedicated room, but perhaps not smart enough for out and out posh living room use - it's up to the individual. Anyway, get one now while stocks last from Aldi at just £19.99.

G6Tanuki 17th Mar 2017 3:08 pm

Re: Cheap display rack/shelving

I've got the next-size-up (bought from Screwfix) here: it seems quite stable though I'm not sure if I'd want to stack it with an array of AR88s.

60 oldjohn 17th Mar 2017 8:59 pm

Anyone wanting a lot of shelving should contact scrap yards, It took me 3 phone calls to find a complete shelving contents of a chemist shop. Bought and delivered 10 years ago for a lot less than todays scrap price. I guess I was very lucky. Super markets are always having makeovers worth watching out for them, and asking.

John.

high_vacuum_house 17th Mar 2017 11:04 pm

Oh dear

I had a nearly identical plastic shelving unit. Mine came from Argos.

Although it seemed strong I put it in the loft with empty project boxes, boxes of components plumbing fittings and loudspeakers and after a few weeks went up in the loft to find it had started tipping up and was near the point of collapse. The structure had started to parallelogram. It was lucky that it came to rest on one of the sloping roof timbers or it could have gone over altogether.

The warmth of the loft during last summer made it go soft. It was not overloaded by some margin but would suggest that some sort of bracing is fitted to prevent any disasters if old radios ECT. is to be put on it.

Christopher Capener

ukcol 18th Mar 2017 11:40 am

2 Attachment(s)
I bought some Gorm shelving for my workshop from Ikea some years ago. Gorm is a softwood system but remarkably strong although I think I can see some slight bowing under the AR88 in one of the pictures. :)

I believe Gorm is still sold by Ikea and is reasonably priced.

BTW ignore the erroneous date stamp on the pictures.

Skywave 18th Mar 2017 12:11 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by high_vacuum_house (Post 929004)
. . . after a few weeks it had started tipping up and was near the point of collapse. The structure had started to parallelogram . . .
. . . suggest that some sort of bracing is fitted to prevent any disasters if old radios etc. are to be put on it.

I have installed a good deal of traditional Dexion shelving in the workshop. Even with the screws securely tightened and with a lightweight load, it was still necessary to install cross-bracing to avoid that 'parallelogram effect'. Although such bracing was made by Dexion specifically for that purpose, I had none, so I used lengths of softwood, suitably painted.
The 'golden rule' for fitting bracing, of course, is always to aim at making triangles.

Al.

stevehertz 18th Mar 2017 12:37 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by high_vacuum_house (Post 929004)
Although it seemed strong I put it in the loft with empty project boxes, boxes of components plumbing fittings and loudspeakers and after a few weeks went up in the loft to find it had started tipping up and was near the point of collapse. The structure had started to parallelogram. It was lucky that it came to rest on one of the sloping roof timbers or it could have gone over altogether.

Before I got to poignant point in your post, I was just thinking that it was due to the extra heat that you get in a loft during summer. Warm plastic does go softer and hence less able to hold heavier objects without bending and ultimately - if the load is enough - collapsing.

ms660 18th Mar 2017 12:45 pm

A racking board might help.

Lawrence.

stevehertz 18th Mar 2017 1:58 pm

Mine are fine, the unit is 50kg load per shelf rated and my sets are 30kg max, plus the shelving is in garage that doesn't get hot.

Reelman 18th Mar 2017 5:13 pm

I presume that Dexion must come in different qualities. In #6 Al mentions troubles and that it is screwed together. Mine uses nuts and bolts and has never departed from the vertical even with no cross-braces. However it was previously used for bank coin storage so is top quality. Wonderful stuff, never seen anything come close for strength, only problem is eventually with rust if kept in the garage.
Peter

Welsh Anorak 18th Mar 2017 5:21 pm

Like Reelman, I also have some 'proper' Dexion, also from a bank! Great, heavy stuff - but takes some dedication and brute force to assemble. I also have some ex-supermarket shelving with slotted uprights, triangular brackets and metal shelves. I used it for stacking 28" CRT sets with no bother at all. I suppose it must have cost a fortune, though luckily not for me.
Glyn

Oldcodger 18th Mar 2017 9:07 pm

RE #4- mine also came from Argos. But it sits in my den ( spare room), but I've used the optional bracket to gold it to the wall . Did a google out of interest and they don't seem to stock it .

Skywave 19th Mar 2017 9:43 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reelman (Post 929203)
I presume that Dexion must come in different qualities. In #6 Al mentions troubles and that it is screwed together. Mine uses nuts and bolts and has never departed from the vertical, even without cross-braces.

Just for the record, when I stated that is is "screwed together", I should have said "screwed together using nuts & bolts".

To some extent, the need for that bracing may well be due to the inappropriate load distribution on the shelves. Purely for convenience, on the shelves, the heavier items tend to be further from the floor. However, the bracing does not cause a problem; was easy to make; was cheap and does the job. :thumbsup:

Al.

stevehertz 19th Mar 2017 10:21 am

Out of interest being as the subject has cropped up, my steel storage shelving - you can see it in the background of my photo - is rock solid. I don't know what make it is, but it has to be assembled using a mallet to locate tabs in the cross members into slots in the uprights. It was a brutal job putting it all together. It doesn't wobble one iota, totally rock solid, no added angled members needed. I guess steel shelving comes in various 'strengths'.

G6Tanuki 19th Mar 2017 7:30 pm

As well as this sort of shelving it's quite common to find "19-inch" equipment-racks being thrown out by IT data-centres when they upgrade their hardware: this stuff is by definition "Industrial strength" - though you won't fit a 43U rack in a typical estate-car!

Martin Bush 19th Mar 2017 8:10 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehertz (Post 929366)
Out of interest being as the subject has cropped up, my steel storage shelving - you can see it in the background of my photo - is rock solid.

I think I have some of that, or something similar. Bought it off ebay and seems rock solid. The biggest problem was making it on my own - it's one of those things where you end up holding one piece, propping another against the wall then realising you needed the mallet ready in the other hand (and it's now out of reach).

I don't fancy taking it down to move house to be honest.

Skywave 20th Mar 2017 2:21 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehertz (Post 929366)
. . . my steel storage shelving - you can see it in the background of my photo - is rock solid.

I can't make out the detail in your photo., but judging from what you have written, yes, I think I've met that shelving. Tell me: are the metal members blue and orange?

Al.

FrankB 2nd Apr 2017 10:33 pm

I got some heavy steel shelves 2' X 8' from an estate sale, about 7-8 years back. Paid $10.00 or 15.00 each. 1/4" steel angle with 3/4" plywood on the shelves. 4 bolted together and 3 are welded together. I think I could literally support a car on them. ;D I could not have even bought the steel for one of them for the lot price.
The others I have are made from 2x4s and old paneling scraps. Good for light duty like tubes and such.
When I first built the shop, I made 5 ea 2' x 8' 3/4" plywood shelf sets, with the shelves 2' apart. Dado'd and glued and nailed. Set them on 2x2's off the concrete floor.(Moisture protection) That was 34 years ago. They are still as good as the day I made them. Loaded with equipment till the shelves bulged; and the 3 ea. 1' deep ones with adj. shelves are full of tubes.

Look for pallet/rack shelving also from warehouse business moving.

I picked up 10 med. duty shelve sets 6' x 18" x 4', for $50.00, and the lady there threw in a stack of archive boxes for storage for me for free.

dominicbeesley 11th Apr 2017 10:56 am

Watch this website for offers

http://www.shelfsave.com/?gclid=CK_5...FUUW0wodvIQNLA

I got three shelves for about 65 quid. They are in my garage holding up various oil drenched car parts. Rock solid so far and that place goes from minus 10 in winter to 40 Celsius when the sun gets on it.