UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Radio (domestic) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Every once in a while... (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=148822)

Nanozeugma 12th Aug 2018 7:35 pm

Every once in a while...

1 Attachment(s)
Every once in a while, something turns up to put a smile on your face.

In this case, a working family heirloom in superb condition with provenance, the original user installation manual and a working EM34.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I know, but it makes me smile :)

PYE Model H Type PE60 circa 1954.

MurphyNut 12th Aug 2018 7:44 pm

Re: Every once in a while...

That's what it's all about, getting enjoyment out of these lovely old items.
That PYE must have seemed very cutting edge back in 1954!

kentplums 12th Aug 2018 7:54 pm

Lap top?

music-centre 12th Aug 2018 9:37 pm

Very nice, I like these and they work well - the PE60 variation with the magic eye as well, most, like the one I have, didn't have them.
Steve.

Sideband 12th Aug 2018 9:41 pm

I gave one of those away because I thought it looked like a switchboard.....!

Nanozeugma 12th Aug 2018 9:45 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by music-centre (Post 1065724)
Very nice, I like these and they work well - the PE60 variation with the magic eye as well, most, like the one I have, didn't have them.
Steve.

Hi Steve,
Yes, this is a curiosity that I have only recently got to grips with. I assume that the sub-version with the magic eye was an afterthought...
The example shown on Radiomuseum has not got a magic eye, the schematic I have doesn't show one.
I even have the original user instructions supplied with this example which shows a magic eye but a different configuration of wavebands (no Long Wave).
Most peculiar.

music-centre 12th Aug 2018 9:53 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideband (Post 1065727)
I gave one of those away because I thought it looked like a switchboard.....!

Yes, its a design that you either love or hate I think:) - quite an unusual look to bring out in the early fifties I reckon.
Steve.

McMurdo 12th Aug 2018 10:46 pm

Isn't this a Robin Day design?

Nanozeugma 12th Aug 2018 11:56 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurdo (Post 1065749)
Isn't this a Robin Day design?

I have heard tell that it is, (also the PE80) but have been unable to corroborate...

Radio Wrangler 13th Aug 2018 1:28 am

Unique, and consequently interesting.

it looks so much like a desk intercom that one might question whether they hired the right Robin Day.

Cheap jokes aside, I think its ergonomics are better than normal shaped sets where you have to bend down to see the scale at table height.

David

Mr Moose 13th Aug 2018 1:29 am

Hello,
There appear to be two versions of the PE60. The PE60 without a magic eye and the PE60V with a magic eye.
Yours, Richard

crackle 13th Aug 2018 8:56 am

No LW coverage would seem it is an export version for use outside Europe.

Mike

Nanozeugma 13th Aug 2018 10:29 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Moose (Post 1065778)
There appear to be two versions of the PE60. The PE60 without a magic eye and the PE60V with a magic eye.

Thank you for that Richard, the conundrum resolved. Another visit to Mr Stenning's download site (for the PE60V manual) imminent.

Kind Regards,
Colin.

emeritus 13th Aug 2018 12:20 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Here's scans of the two versions from two Pye catalogues that a former colleague picked up at the Olympia Radio Shows in the 1950's. The PE60V is from an "Exhibition Models" leaflet. Neither are dated.

Nanozeugma 13th Aug 2018 4:05 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by emeritus (Post 1065851)
Here's scans of the two versions from two Pye catalogues that a former colleague picked up at the Olympia Radio Shows in the 1950's. The PE60V is from an "Exhibition Models" leaflet. Neither are dated.

Thanks for those, appreciated.

If anyone would be interested in a PDF copy of the original owner / user instructions supplied with mine, PM me with an email address please as it's 3.8 Meg in size.