UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Success Stories (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Dansette Junior (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=145092)

leslie5555 25th Mar 2018 3:41 pm

Dansette Junior

5 Attachment(s)
Just thought I would show off my Dansette Junior project, I love this little piece of nostalgia before and after pictures

leslie5555 25th Mar 2018 3:47 pm

Re: Dansette Junior

5 Attachment(s)
Hopefully all the pics are there

mickyfinn 26th Mar 2018 7:38 am

Superb job.
Mick

ukcol 26th Mar 2018 8:02 am

I had one of these when I was a youngster.

Thanks for the pictures of the start and finish with a very smart result. Can you tell us about the journey Leslie?

Boom 26th Mar 2018 6:59 pm

That's come up very nice indeed. Well done.

leslie5555 26th Mar 2018 9:21 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukcol (Post 1029612)
Thanks for the pictures of the start and finish with a very smart result. Can you tell us about the journey Leslie?

Thanks for the feedback.
I recently bought this locally for peanuts, it was in working order but running a bit slow.
So I set about dismantling it cleaned up the mechanics and re lubricated the motor bearings, redressed the idler and re lubed the turntable bearing.
The amp only consists of a few components and one valve, I only replaced one capacitor it needed a new mains lead and I replaced the TC8H cartridge with a BSR X5H so I could play stereo records on it.
It sounds ok just what you would expect from such a simple amp.

Next I set about the cabinet first I gave it a good clean, after cleaning I could see that the rexine was actually in very good condition but it was badly faded and stained in several places.
So I decided to refinish the rexine using leather restorer which I have used in the past and always had good results.

I also resprayed the front grill.
Because it looked so nice I decided to splash out on new brass fittings and I think it was worth it and finishes it off very nicely.
The front Dansette logo is just a cardboard copy but I have a new one on order.

I love the way this one has turned out and its so small and cute

ukcol 26th Mar 2018 11:31 pm

Thanks for that Leslie. The resin has come up so well that I thought you had replaced it.

Herald1360 29th Mar 2018 3:44 pm

Beware the predictive text gremlin?

batterymaker1 21st Jul 2018 12:43 am

Where did you find the hinges? I have a Pilot portable that needs the nickel version of those. THe originals are rusted beyond saving...

John10b 22nd Jul 2018 4:34 pm

Hi
I did a similar record player, I got the hinges from Dansette.com in the UK.
I’m surprised Voice of Music, in America doesn’t seem to have them, they have most other parts.
Cheers
John

Phil G4SPZ 22nd Jul 2018 11:38 pm

Very nice! Worth a few hundred quid in that condition!

Kevin Hoyland 23rd Jul 2018 6:55 am

Hello and good morning. Thank you for the photos it looks outstanding. The Red ones always look the best to me.
Kevin.:thumbsup:

Peter.N. 23rd Jul 2018 10:31 am

I think you can quite rightly be proud of that.

Peter

leslie5555 1st Aug 2018 8:37 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by batterymaker1 (Post 1060244)
Where did you find the hinges? I have a Pilot portable that needs the nickel version of those. THe originals are rusted beyond saving...

I found them on e bay and I am very pleased with the quality etc.

leslie5555 1st Aug 2018 8:40 pm

Thanks for all the compliments this one is a keeper for sure, it gets lots of interest when people visit.