UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Components and Circuits (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Can anyone tell me what this part is please? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=175245)

barrywebb 13th Jan 2021 7:41 pm

Can anyone tell me what this part is please?

1 Attachment(s)
The part is off of a power supply unit I test kid as dead but I might be wrong as u can't identify it looks like a transistor but not sure it part number is MC1033 followed by 1303SJ any help would be most helpful see picture.
Barry

stevehertz 13th Jan 2021 7:54 pm

Re: Can anyone tell me what this parts is please

It's a digital temperature sensor:

https://www.datasheetarchive.com/MC1033-datasheet.html

Anything like that, just google what it says.

Robert Gribnau 14th Jan 2021 5:01 pm

The link leads to datasheets for an EMC1033 temperature sensor (with 8 leads) and to a MC1033 Dual R-S Flip-Flop (with 14 leads?). They do not look like the part in Barry's picture.

barrywebb 15th Jan 2021 11:57 am

Thank you for that know one seems to no what it is but it's not that link I was sent.

Herald1360 15th Jan 2021 12:25 pm

Maybe a plastic case variant of 2SC1033?

https://alltransistors.com/transisto...ansistor=11338

ajgriff 15th Jan 2021 12:40 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Bearing in mind the application (PSU) I wonder if it's a low power voltage regulator. The attached datasheet is for an SC1033. Perhaps another maufacturer made one with the designation MC. A real long shot I know.

Alan

Alistair D 15th Jan 2021 2:29 pm

Re: Can anyone tell me what this part is please?

I have attached a link to semiconductor manufacturers logos site. If you can find out who made it it should be possible to identify the device. Happy searching.

https://how-to.fandom.com/wiki/How_t...heir_logos/A-E

Al

ajgriff 15th Jan 2021 4:07 pm

That's a very useful link Al and I've bookmarked it for future reference. I may have missed it but didn't manage spot a logo like the one on Barry's mystery component.

Alan

stevehertz 15th Jan 2021 4:42 pm

I too looked for that logo, it's not there.

fetteler 16th Jan 2021 2:39 am

So it's definitely not a digital temperature sensor !

Hmmm, I like a mystery, can you give us a bit more context about the circuit it has come from, perhaps a little sketched diagram if possible?
That will certainly help.

Steve.

barrywebb 16th Jan 2021 2:02 pm

5 Attachment(s)
Hi thanks for helping in with this it's a mystery.
Here are some pictures with it on the board.

Nickthedentist 16th Jan 2021 2:16 pm

The fact that the screenprinting identifies two of the leadouts as E and C tells us that it's a bipolar(?) transistor of some kind.

The fact that it's on the secondary, mains-isolated side of the supply (I think) probably means that it's acting as some kind of series regulator.

But where is the chopper transformer? I'm confused.

N.

Station X 16th Jan 2021 2:21 pm

What's the circuit board fitted to? Service info may be available.

barrywebb 16th Jan 2021 2:43 pm

Hi all there is a Transformer that goes to the board the transformer is working fine but when I connect it to the board the voltages go down from 16v down to only 5v when I remove that mystery part the voltage in stays at 16v.
The power supply is fitted to a Chinese 3in1 record player.
Barry

Radio Wrangler 16th Jan 2021 2:59 pm

The component designator printed on the board for the mystery part is 'IC262'
Nearby it is a power device labelled 'Q266'

This implies that whoever drew the circuit diagram and material list saw the mystery part as an IC and not as a transistor.

An SMPS with the transformer away from the PCB must radiate quite efficiently, and I see the trad removal of EMC filter components has been carried out.

David

ajgriff 16th Jan 2021 3:24 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler (Post 1331371)
This implies that whoever drew the circuit diagram and material list saw the mystery part as an IC and not as a transistor.

Presumably the same individual also labelled the mystery component's lead outs as EBC. Very confusing!

Alan

Nickthedentist 16th Jan 2021 3:39 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickthedentist (Post 1331352)
The fact that the screenprinting identifies two of the leadouts as E and C tells us that it's a bipolar(?) transistor of some kind.

The fact that it's on the secondary, mains-isolated side of the supply (I think) probably means that it's acting as some kind of series regulator.

But where is the chopper transformer? I'm confused.

N.

Ignore what I said, looking at the wrong part :dunce:

Robert Gribnau 16th Jan 2021 5:08 pm

Barry, what is the brand and model of your player? Like Graham already remarked: Maybe there is a service manual for it which contains a parts list. Or maybe the brand used their own way of coding parts.

DMcMahon 16th Jan 2021 6:25 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Gribnau (Post 1330755)
The link leads to datasheets for an EMC1033 temperature sensor (with 8 leads) and to a MC1033 Dual R-S Flip-Flop (with 14 leads?). They do not look like the part in Barry's picture.

Yes this is one of those annoying data sheet search results where the top results found are not what you want but include MC1033 in their description, i.e. EMC1033 so quite easy initially to think you have found the correct data sheet but it is totally incorrect, I have been down this path myself before with similar.

Also further down the search results there is MC 1003 but not the right part in this case.

David

DMcMahon 16th Jan 2021 6:33 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajgriff (Post 1331020)
Bearing in mind the application (PSU) I wonder if it's a low power voltage regulator. The attached datasheet is for an SC1033. Perhaps another maufacturer made one with the designation MC. A real long shot I know.

Alan

From the photo my first thought was voltage regulator but the transistor E/C/B leg designations obviously do not tie up with that ?

David