UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   CCL Capacitor for Deccasound 600 (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=175232)

ysgramor87 13th Jan 2021 10:19 am

CCL Capacitor for Deccasound 600

3 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,

Could you please tell me any replacement for CCL capacitor that I can find on RS? (see attachmemts)

Briefly,

There is 12V on it which comes from transformer but other 2 feet has no voltage(? I think should be voltage there ? ) that 2 feet goes to amplifier boards as I understand from the circuit.

I couldn't find any drawing for this amplifier aswell. I appreciate any help from you.

Cheers

Fatih

Station X 13th Jan 2021 10:32 am

Re: CCL Capacitor for Deccasound 600

That's the reservoir and smoothing capacitors in a single can. It's normal to see zero volts on the negative tag, which is normally connected to the chassis.

Unless you can hear mains hum from the speaker or the capacitor gets hot leave it alone.

vinrads 13th Jan 2021 10:33 am

Hi Fatih you should have voltage on two of the terminals the red and yellow ones , readings taken from the one with the black wire going to it which should go to chassis ,if you don't have voltage on both suspect the choke ,it has 56785 stamped on it there will have just two wires from it you should have volts on both , what is the 50ohm resistor doing , can you check where it is connected, Mick.

Station X 13th Jan 2021 10:41 am

Faith.

You say you have a circuit, but no drawing? Can you post a portion of the circuit if possible.

snowman_al 13th Jan 2021 10:43 am

With your meter, check the voltage on the cap again please. Black lead to the black wire terminal, the red lead to the red wire then to the pink wire. There should be a voltage on both.

There has been a little bit of fixing up going on in there already, the transformer is not original and the wiring looks less than a premium job...

vinrads 13th Jan 2021 10:43 am

Hi Graham I have a cct ,I wonder if the resistor is the smoothing choke/res. Mick.

ysgramor87 13th Jan 2021 10:46 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinrads (Post 1330259)
Hi Fatih you should have voltage on two of the terminals the red and yellow ones , readings taken from the one with the black wire going to it which should go to chassis ,if you don't have voltage on both suspect the choke ,it has 56785 stamped on it there will have just two wires from it you should have volts on both , what is the 50ohm resistor doing , can you check where it is connected, Mick.

Thank you Mick,

I'll try to do it when I go to home and update you :)

ysgramor87 13th Jan 2021 10:50 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Station X (Post 1330263)
Faith.

You say you have a circuit, but no drawing? Can you post a portion of the circuit if possible.

Hi,

I just followed that cables from capacitor to boards. I don't have any drawings unfortunately. I was assuming there must be voltage on those boards because I don't hear any sound when I tried amplifier first time. I'll have more measurements when I have time.

Thank you.

Station X 13th Jan 2021 10:52 am

OK. Sounds like what's needed at this stage is fault finding rather than capacitor replacement

ysgramor87 13th Jan 2021 10:53 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowman_al (Post 1330265)
With your meter, check the voltage on the cap again please. Black lead to the black wire terminal, the red lead to the red wire then to the pink wire. There should be a voltage on both.

There has been a little bit of fixing up going on in there already, the transformer is not original and the wiring looks less than a premium job...

I think someone has tried to fix it and failed. Maybe a newbie like me :)

I have basic electronic knowledge it's not my expertise but I want to learn more about fixing record players amplifiers etc.

Cheers

ysgramor87 13th Jan 2021 10:54 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Station X (Post 1330274)
OK. Sounds like what's needed at this stage is fault finding rather than capacitor replacement

I thought it's faulty when I don't see any voltage on it. I'll try to get additional measurements If I understand you all correctly :)

ysgramor87 13th Jan 2021 11:00 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinrads (Post 1330259)

50 ohm is for light bulb as I remember Mick. I'll try to do what you've suggested.

Thanks again.

DMcMahon 13th Jan 2021 11:50 am

I wondered if the circuit is similar to the 603 (which is on the Forum DVD) it has the same capacitors and choke but I cannot easily see the 50 Ohm resistor ?

David

ysgramor87 13th Jan 2021 12:27 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMcMahon (Post 1330292)
I wondered if the circuit is similar to the 603 (which is on the Forum DVD) it has the same capacitors and choke but I cannot easily see the 50 Ohm resistor ?

David

Hi David,

As I remember It's connected to transformer and goes to on off indication light bulb. Nothing else.

Thanks

Fatih

Robint 47 13th Jan 2021 3:53 pm

This is an ampilier unit type 604 which circuit wise is a 603 system but less deck which is a DS1000. Someone has had a real go there should be at least 30V on the cap, ht supply feeding the output modules LP1173. And yes transformer is wrong , before any further work is done it needs to be put back to original spec. Also beware it needs speakers of 8 ohm impedance Decca type L100

ysgramor87 13th Jan 2021 4:30 pm

What about any other speaker with 8 ohms impedance?

Unfortunately, I don't have any drawings for this and no clue how it should be. Sounds like better to give it to service for me :shrug:

Cheers

Fatih

Station X 13th Jan 2021 4:42 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysgramor87 (Post 1330387)
Unfortunately, I don't have any drawings for this and no clue how it should be. Cheers, Fatih

I don't generally volunteer other member's services, but perhaps vinrads can help you there?

ysgramor87 13th Jan 2021 4:52 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Station X (Post 1330392)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ysgramor87 (Post 1330387)
Unfortunately, I don't have any drawings for this and no clue how it should be. Cheers, Fatih

I don't generally volunteer other member's services, but perhaps vinrads can help you there?

If I need spesific speakers, it'd better to sell it maybe. If not of course I'll look for any help. Thank you

vinrads 13th Jan 2021 5:15 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMcMahon (Post 1330292)

David

Hi David it looks like the 50ohm is an add on probably to drop some volts to the lamp, Mick.

vinrads 13th Jan 2021 5:18 pm

Just to confirm there needs to be 28 volts on the fuse , any 8 ohm speakers will do must be 8 ohm . Mick.