UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Success Stories (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Tektronix 465: Replacement of Worn-Out Feet (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=134550)

Nymrod121 5th Mar 2017 2:56 pm

Tektronix 465: Replacement of Worn-Out Feet

2 Attachment(s)
Here are pictures showing the high standards that can be achieved using 3-D printing techniques these days.

With many thanks to Jon (Ti Pwun) and Mike (Humber888) for their thoughtful contributions via PM and overall engagement with this feasibility exercise.

Best wishes

Guy

(watch out ... 'The Dreaded Phantom Photo Rotator of Bexhill-on-Sea' may be lurking nearby ... SPLAT! SPLEURFT! ... darn it . Got me again)

ronbryan 5th Mar 2017 3:36 pm

Re: Tektronix 465: Replacement of Worn-Out Feet

The feet look really good. An amazing effort.

Ron

Nymrod121 5th Mar 2017 4:22 pm

Take a bow, Jon ... :)

Ti Pwun 5th Mar 2017 5:34 pm

Not much of an effort on my part, I'm afraid - I just had to tweak a few settings, send the file to the printer, and wait...

...and wait...

...and wait...

I did choose the best quality I could so the feet are completely solid, but the print time was over TWO DAYS!

That's a shame because I'm sure a few people could use some of these, but purely based on the time that the printer would be tied up, I am having to limit the number of times I am able to do this. If Mike wants a set I have made arrangements for this, if not then I am able to do this one more time. Mike has first refusal.

The file is out there. though, if anyone has a 3D printer and wants some.

Glad I could be of some help, at least.

MrBungle 5th Mar 2017 7:10 pm

Those are really good - nice job. Very impressed!

Original ones are rare as hen's teeth. I had to shred 3 scopes to get 4 good ones last time I did a refurb on one of those.

Probably a market for those and easy money if you can leave the printer unattended and feed it occasionally, or even pay someone else to make them.

Ti Pwun 5th Mar 2017 7:45 pm

No doubt - the problem for me is that I can earn far more in one hour than I ever could printing these. Two days plus to print a set of four of these feet is a lot of potential sales of other much smaller items. One could lower the quality but I didn't feel that would be justified given what they are intended to do.

Just not viable for me, although I will honour the original request for two sets. If someone had no other need for their printer, they could make some cash and make quite a few scope owners happy, I'm sure...

MrBungle 5th Mar 2017 7:52 pm

Indeed you are right there on all counts.