UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Where To Get Sets and Parts (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Packs of shrink tubing in Lidl (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=158735)

TowerRadio 8th Aug 2019 11:26 pm

Packs of shrink tubing in Lidl

Seen in Lidl today, plastic boxes with (Ithink) 60 lengths of various diameter shrink tubing. Forgotten price ,maybe £2.99 Les

Boulevardier 8th Aug 2019 11:59 pm

Re: Packs of shrink tubing in Lidl

Thanks for the tip-off Les - I'll pop down to Lidl and have a look tomorrow.

Mike

Refugee 9th Aug 2019 1:11 am

They are also often on offer from tool tables at flea markets.
There is not much in it price wise.

Dave Moll 9th Aug 2019 8:07 am

I shall check out the Cockermouth Lidl that opened yesterday!

ajgriff 10th Aug 2019 12:08 pm

Happened to be in my local Lidl earlier and couldn't resist picking up a box of shrink fit tubing. 127 pieces varying in length from 40 to 85mm with unshrunk diameters between 2 and 13mm. All black at £2.99 including useful plastic box. Not bad value. Various other £2.99 boxes including mixed lots of various types of screw-in hooks, rubber O rings and jubilee clips. All useful stuff.

Alan

g4aaw pete 10th Aug 2019 12:25 pm

1 Attachment(s)
These crop up from time to time.
Bought these last year for similar price.

MrBungle 10th Aug 2019 5:31 pm

I got a box of these for £5 inc delivery which was cheaper than going to Lidl for me: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CKHXWR9/

Very nice stuff - as good as the stuff I was paying that for a strip from RS.

Dave Moll 10th Aug 2019 10:08 pm

Unfortunately, drew a blank at our shiny new store.

greg_simons 10th Aug 2019 10:48 pm

Thanks for the tip off, got a pack from the local emporium today.
Greg.

Phil G4SPZ 11th Aug 2019 10:27 pm

I’ve occasionally used the Lidl variety, which were (and maybe still are) adhesive-lined and of very good quality.

Steve G4WCS 13th Aug 2019 12:17 pm

thanks will go and stock up. incidentally their pretzels are apparently awesome.

bobbyball 13th Aug 2019 10:00 pm

Still at the (new) Stockport store, got some today...

M6SPW1974 15th Aug 2019 1:43 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by g4aaw pete (Post 1167202)
These crop up from time to time.
Bought these last year for similar price.

Hi Pete,those are the exact same ones that Lidl are selling at the moment for £2.99

I bought a tray from Clitheroe Lidl yesterday afternoon.

Regards,Shaun :)

WaveyDipole 31st Aug 2019 12:08 pm

Lidl "shrink tubing"

Lidl are currently doing a box of heat shrink tubing, 127 pieces of various sizes for £2.99. Its in a plastic case, somewhat bigger and longer than a VHS video cassette with compartments. The box could perhaps be used for component storage once empty. I just purchased a box because I was low on the stuff anyway and I may not be placing an order with an electronics supplier for some time. Not seen this offered in there before so thought it might be worth a mention it in case it might be of help to other members. I have no connection other than been a regular weekly shopping customer.

Sideband 31st Aug 2019 3:11 pm

Yes found these while just browsing....almost walked past it. £2.99 for 127 assorted pieces. Why 127......??

Anyway can't grumble at the price and should last for years. I never seem to have enough of the size I want.....!

WaveyDipole 31st Aug 2019 3:30 pm

I see the mods have helpfully moved my thread. Sorry I didn't spot the other one as I didn't think to look or post in 'Where to get sets and parts'. Noted for future reference! I also wondered why 127. Why not a nice round number like 100 or 120? Picked mine up at the Coalville, Leicestershire store. Having removed the large label wrapped around the box which provided a more detailed look at the contents, I wish that there were rather more of the smaller diameter pieces included in there. I suspect these are likely to get used up first and well before the large diameter pieces. I guess it will depend on the job at hand though.

TonyDuell 31st Aug 2019 6:56 pm

127 is one less than a 'nice round number' to me.

Oldcodger 31st Aug 2019 9:22 pm

I've noticed that both Lidl and Aldi do these box selections from time to time. Rivets/O rings/Heat shrink / and uncle Tom Cobly & all.

short wave 1st Sep 2019 11:54 am

Re "127" perhaps the extra "one" is the box =128

turretslug 2nd Sep 2019 1:03 pm

Another thumbs up for these packs- possibly, buying the lengths you need from the usual sources might just work out cheaper but this is a very convenient pack of a useful and closely incrementing range of sizes and it could be said that the multi-section box itself is worth about a quid! I'm continually reaching for the ones I bought, I like to use them on primary-side components like switches, fuse-holders and so on when re-wiring, even if it does offend against originality.