UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Grundig TK141 advice (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=169543)

hergest74 30th Jul 2020 4:18 pm

Grundig TK141 advice

1 Attachment(s)
During the mid 80's, my mum was given a Grundig TK141 machine to play her old tapes of her dad playing his accordion. It has been in her loft (dry) since 1987 when it stopped working. I can't say what stopped but after taking the bottom off (black casing ) I found some rubber belt bits so I assume that was the reason it was put away. I then unscrewed the top metallic panel but for the life of me couldn't find a way of taking it off to have a look at where the belt fits. Also the record and on button seem stuck, only able to pull up with strong pliers.

I haven't powered it up yet as there is no point until the belt is replaced. The question is, how do I get the belt changed and is it likely that will solve the problem? Any other advice would also be helpful if anyone owns one.

Thanks

DMcMahon 30th Jul 2020 6:50 pm

Re: Grundig TK141 advice

From your description impossible to say because the reason for it stopping working is unknown. There are 3 belts, I have never changed any of them but believe they are quite difficult (apart from the tape counter belt). The broken bits could be old remnants, but most likely one or more belts are broken.

What stops the top cover being lifted off is the carrying handle, you have to unscrew it and make sure that the spacers that the 2 screws go through are removed from the casing.

Also the little panel (1 screw held on by) on the rear that covers the mains voltage selection switch and fuses can foul/catch, so may have to be removed also.

My first TK 141 had a stuck down/seized On/Off switch, WD40 and gentle persuasion got it loosened up (it was not easy though).

Can you turn the control knob to all 5 or 6 operating positions ?

There is a very common problem with this TK series where the control knob will be seized from rotating (more on this later if required).

So get the cover off, establish which belts are broken (take a photo) and if the control knob can be rotated fully.

David

DMcMahon 30th Jul 2020 9:42 pm

5 Attachment(s)
First photo attached shows the 2 main drive belts.

The thicker one goes from the motor pulley to the flywheel, the thinner goes from the flywheel to the right side Take Up Reel Table, tape counter belt not visible as underneath.

By manually rotating the motor pulley the flywheel should rotate and also the belt from the flywheel to the Take Up Reel Table.

If the control knob cannot be rotated fully then the associated rubber/plastic roller is probably missing/falling apart.

Second photo shows the area with a replacement roller fitted.

Third photos show the roller and its pin missing.

Fourth photo shows roller pin fitted but missing roller.

Fifth photo shows broken remnants of old roller.

So if your control knob does not rotate/rotate properly then check to see the condition of the roller, if broken/missing, then try and find the little pin/shaft.

David

DMcMahon 30th Jul 2020 10:44 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hergest74 (Post 1275057)
Also the record and on button seem stuck, only able to pull up with strong pliers.

Note that the Record button will be mechanically interlocked in some positions of the Main Control, you will see this with the top cover removed and operating the main control knob.

Welsh Anorak 31st Jul 2020 12:12 pm

The on/off switch often fails on this and gets stuck, but this shouldn't affect anything else.
Looking at David's first picture, whatever you do don't remove any of the paint-locked screws. It looks like you have to in order to change the belt, but actually the way to do it is to feed it through the lower flywheel bearing which is a bit awkward, but far less trouble than if you remove the top!
Belts and roller are relatively easy to source; the mains switch less easy but hopefully it can be freed off.

DMcMahon 31st Jul 2020 3:06 pm

The 2 links below provide good belt replacement info, particularly the first link as lots of photos, the first link is for TK 146 which is basically the same machine :-

https://reeltoreelworld.blogspot.com...146-belts.html

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=19752

David

unitelex 31st Jul 2020 9:54 pm

Some great experience and advice from David and Glynn here.
If the OP needs help to service it then I am local to him in Manchester

I will send a PM
Best Regards
Chris

hergest74 1st Aug 2020 3:13 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for such detailed advice and photos. That is very helpful. At the moment I have managed to get the handle off, and it's screws as well as unscrew the base which I can remove but still can't get the top panel off. This is a view from underneath so you may be able to tell if there is anything amiss.

As a novice to electronics, is it a good idea to get myself a multimeter to help me learn to test various appliances ?

AC/HL 1st Aug 2020 3:36 pm

Not so much good as essential!

Michael Maurice 1st Aug 2020 5:44 pm

One thing to note, there are 4 screws holding the top plate to the main chassis.

On no account must these screws be removed. Even loosening them can cause a lot of damage and will make the machine irreparable.

This is also highlighted in the Grunding Service manual.

DMcMahon 1st Aug 2020 6:19 pm

1 Attachment(s)
As long as you have removed the 5 long securing screws that hold the top cover down (not just a top panel), the 3 slider knobs, the main control knob, the 2 handle securing screws and their mounting spaces (the spacers may stick to the chassis) and the little black removable panel at the back (otherwise it may/will foul on the mains selection switch) then the top cover should fairly easily just lift off upwards (even with the bottom panel fitted).

If not then try some gentle flexing/rocking of the side panel sections as you pull/lift up on the cover. Good luck.

David

hergest74 1st Aug 2020 6:57 pm

3 Attachment(s)
Great thanks, that did the trick. I didn't realise the black casing was part of it. I was trying to remove just the silver top.

Ok, this is the current sate of play

DMcMahon 1st Aug 2020 7:02 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hergest74 (Post 1275671)
This is a view from underneath so you may be able to tell if there is anything amiss ?

The only obvious thing amiss is that the tape counter drive belt is missing, see my photo for comparison.

David

hergest74 1st Aug 2020 7:07 pm

The rubber around the middle, smaller white disk has also perished as bits of it are still stuck to it.

DMcMahon 1st Aug 2020 7:09 pm

That is good progress, looks like all your drive belts have gone.

Your roller look OK, as long as you can turn the control knob fully, these rollers when old can just crumble apart even when they look OK.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hergest74 (Post 1275746)
The rubber around the middle, smaller white disk has also perished as bits of it are still stuck to it.

Well spotted, that is bad news :(

Cannot easily tell from your photo but are the 3 tridents intact on each black spool holder (that the spool engages on), possibly looks like some of them may be broken ?

hergest74 1st Aug 2020 8:13 pm

Yes, the 3 tridents are perfectly ok and in tact. Oh dear, why is the rubber around the white spool a problem, can't I get a replacement ?

DMcMahon 1st Aug 2020 8:59 pm

Good news about the tridents, getting a replacement drive idler wheel is more difficult than getting drive belts, it may be repairable by some DIY methods.

Would be worth asking to see if anybody on the Forum may have the part under category

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...splay.php?f=28

unitelex 1st Aug 2020 9:55 pm

Looking at the photo, it should be possible to fabricate a replacement idler wheel which would accept a standard O ring as the tyre.

Best Regards
Chris

DMcMahon 1st Aug 2020 10:48 pm

I personally have never made a replacement idler wheel but agree it should be possible, maybe possible also to use existing idler with rubber tyre removed and glue suitable size O-ring, drive belt or other suitable rubber surround to it.

David

Radio Wrangler 2nd Aug 2020 7:19 am

Do you know anyone with a lathe?

David