UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Help wanted with Garrard 2025TC (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=144611)

Outrun_uk 8th Mar 2018 10:28 pm

Help wanted with Garrard 2025TC

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I’ve picked up a Garrard 2025TC deck which I’d like to get working, my older brother had one when I was young as part of an ITT-KB KA1025 record player.

I seem to remember it having a flip over type stylus but the one I’ve picked up has an RS MC150 cartridge fitted which doesn’t stay in properly (I think the mount is worn or broken) and the stylus is knackered. If anyone can advise what cartridge and stylus should be fitted or better still has one available at a reasonable cost it would be appreciated :)

Thanks,

Kev

'LIVEWIRE?' 8th Mar 2018 10:35 pm

Re: Help wanted with Garrard 2025TC

The 2025TC has, as you will know, a very narrow headshell, making it difficult to fit some cartridges. Is the MC150 a magnetic cartridge, btw? The original would have been ceramic, possibly a Sonotone or it's Garrard equivalent. Other members may know better than I what, if any, modern cart. will fit. Possibly one of the Chinese types available for about £2, though these only have a single stylus for playing LPs & 45s.

Outrun_uk 8th Mar 2018 10:47 pm

I'm not sure what type the MC150 is but i'd hazard a guess the the MC could mean Magnetic Cartridge? I've got one of thse Chinese carts somewhere so will investigate that if nothing else turns up, don't have any 78's but would be nice to have it original!

Thanks,

Kev

Edward Huggins 8th Mar 2018 11:54 pm

What type of amplifier do you plan to use with this deck? If you need a NOS ceramic type, and as you probably know, there are relatively few options available these days.

RojDW48 9th Mar 2018 12:26 am

The Sonotone 3509 fits nicely in these tonearms and they are still available - Stylus Lady etc, so the clip you have already might have been 'persuaded' to fit the current MC150 (I can't find any info associated with that model ID)? The 2025TC is a nice little deck - I fitted one (with 3509) to my 40s Decca Deccalian to give it the chance to play LPs - and it's a very nice match.

vidjoman 9th Mar 2018 10:08 am

The black plastic part with the hole in it has a RadioSpares logo on it and the MC150 number.

'LIVEWIRE?' 9th Mar 2018 10:10 am

I couldn't find any info. on the RS Website about the MC150, either.

vidjoman 9th Mar 2018 11:37 am

It would have been a generic replacement type. Don’t think RS have done them for a long time. If the same type is wanted i’d Look for a slimline Shure M75 series.

lazythread 9th Mar 2018 12:52 pm

3 Attachment(s)
You will have to remove the ears of an M75, which may make it unusable for future use elsewhere - although it an excellent cartridge. Look out for a Pickering V15HB, they're usually very cheap on eBay and will take a standard Pickering V15 or Stanton 500 stylus. The photos show how I did it. I did drill another hole and tapped it 6BA further forwards in the 2025TC headshell, otherwise the cartridge is too far back. You'll also need to carefully open up the hole in the cartridge bracket (don't get metal filings inside the body).

Edward Huggins 9th Mar 2018 1:08 pm

We still need to hear from the OP whether he needs an MM or a Ceramic type......

Station X 9th Mar 2018 1:24 pm

Give the bloke a chance, he only started this thread late last night and probably has a job to go to during the day.

lazythread 9th Mar 2018 2:43 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Well he might work permanent night shifts like me :)

Kev - the cartridge in your photo looks like an Acos M7 derivative, which is definitely a magnetic cartridge. The cartridge body would have to be glued back into the plastic shell as I don't think it was designed to clip in. There are very few magnetic cartridges that clip into a housing.

Here's a comparison photo of the Pickering and a Shure M75 slimline. You'd have to trim the bracket to get it to fit.

78 styli for the Pickering and Shure cartridges are readily available.

What amplifier are you planning to use with this deck?

Outrun_uk 12th Mar 2018 10:36 pm

Hi all,

Been busy with work and running around over the weekend. I ended up fitting the Chinese cheapo cartridge in with a dab of glue (!) and the deck is basically working. I only picked it up for nostalgic reasons, my good records will only be played on my other decks.

It's plugged into the phono input of my workshop amp at the moment (Teac A-H300) but if I decide to set it up permanently will probably go with a cheap Acoustic Solutions amp I've got spare, not sure if it has a phono input but I do have a preamp around somehwere too.

Next job is to paint it up and fit decent mains wiring and output jacks but as I want to sand the wood back i'll have to wait for some better weather as it will be getting done outside.

Thanks everyone for your input :clap:

Cheers,

Kev

bikerhifinut 12th Mar 2018 11:30 pm

If you are using a standard Phono input, then they are as often as not set up for a magnetic cartridge with an out put around the 5mV mark. And will also have the RIAA eQ correction which will affect the frequency response from the ceramic cartridge adversely.
Better to use line input suited to the hundreds of millivolts output of a ceramic I'd say.

A.

gezza123 14th Mar 2018 1:38 am

4 Attachment(s)
HI Kev.
This is all I have on the sp25t
hope its of use.
gezza123