UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Ferrograph 4S Tape Recorder (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=160683)

hellensc 20th Oct 2019 11:47 am

Ferrograph 4S Tape Recorder

Ferrograph 4S Fast forward and rewind working perfectly. Play not working. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Station X 20th Oct 2019 11:55 am

Re: Ferrograph 4s Tape Recorder

When you say "Play not working" do you mean the reels don't rotate, or do they rotate but there's no sound?

hellensc 20th Oct 2019 12:03 pm

Re: Ferrograph 4s Tape Recorder

Hi Graham,

The wheels are not rotating.

Many thanks
Chris

TIMTAPE 20th Oct 2019 2:06 pm

Re: Ferrograph 4S Tape Recorder

Does the capstan shaft rotate? Dos the capstan motor shaft rotate?

Ted Kendall 20th Oct 2019 3:07 pm

Are the speed and equalisation controls in agreement? Some Ferros refuse to play unless they are set to the same speed.

llama 20th Oct 2019 6:34 pm

Does the actuate (as one might call it) lever stay locked in place?
Graham

BillDWVA 21st Oct 2019 9:50 am

1 Attachment(s)
I would suggest that if the motors are energising when in ‘FF’ or ‘REW’ but not in ‘PLAY’ then the first place to look would be the switch wafers in the main multi-function switch.

However...

Is the capstan rotating when in ‘FF’ or ‘REW’? If not then it may be a problem only with the capstan motor.

Bill

Uncle Bulgaria 22nd Oct 2019 11:52 am

With my Ferrograph, I tried checking continuity (with the power off!) first of all with the switches in different positions, checking that the right circuits were being made and broken. It's always the simple things...

TIMTAPE 22nd Oct 2019 4:23 pm

When I first inspected a Ferro 5 with the view to purchasing it, the owner showed me how he got the capstan motor to turn after engaging play. He lifted up the deck plate, gave the motor fan a spin and it sprang into life. I bought the machine and the first thing I did when I got it home was oil top and bottom motor bearings. From that time on, the motor never missed a beat.

BillDWVA 22nd Oct 2019 11:04 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIMTAPE (Post 1185533)
When I first inspected a Ferro 5 with the view to purchasing it, the owner showed me how he got the capstan motor to turn after engaging play. He lifted up the deck plate, gave the motor fan a spin and it sprang into life. I bought the machine and the first thing I did when I got it home was oil top and bottom motor bearings. From that time on, the motor never missed a beat.

A sluggish capstan motor is sometimes a symptom of a failing phase-shift capacitor.

Bill

TIMTAPE 23rd Oct 2019 10:10 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillDWVA (Post 1185620)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TIMTAPE (Post 1185533)

A sluggish capstan motor is sometimes a symptom of a failing phase-shift capacitor.

Bill

Absolutely!