UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Homebrew Equipment (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Sipix A6 printer interface (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=159599)

Karen O 8th Sep 2019 5:12 pm

Sipix A6 printer interface

1 Attachment(s)
Confession time: A while ago I offered up for sale a Sipix A6 pocket printer. It failed to sell, which I am not unhappy about because I've found out how to drive it! It turns out that it supports a small subset of ESC/P, specifically, the bitmapped graphics commands. Apart from things like line feed and form feed, it has no support for simple ASCII text.

My PIC adapter has changed that :) It accepts simple text at 1200 baud and issues the required bitmapped graphics commands to print characters. The PIC has a single character font that I stole from my ASR 33 terminal project.

I had considerable trouble with my USB serial dongle - it barely implements RTS/CTS handshake at all, that is, it does respond, but not before it's sent a hundred or so characters that overrun my buffer :angry: Even worse, I noticed the occasional missing character. I traced this to the computer side - sometimes when responding to the hardware handshake, the computer/dongle combination would lose a character. Be warned - some of those USB dongles are a bit rubbishy.

Karen O 10th Sep 2019 9:37 pm

Re: Sipix A6 printer interface

2 Attachment(s)
I've been busy :)

I have built the SiPix printer into a nice case, along with the PIC adapter board. So I now have a nice, small, low tech printer to use with my micro projects.

See - modern tech is not completely beyond redemption!

mole42uk 10th Sep 2019 9:45 pm

Superb 😀

dominicbeesley 13th Sep 2019 1:08 pm

Ooh that's cute, how does the print look?

D

G6Tanuki 13th Sep 2019 2:34 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen O (Post 1174660)
I had considerable trouble with my USB serial dongle - it barely implements RTS/CTS handshake at all, that is, it does respond, but not before it's sent a hundred or so characters that overrun my buffer :angry: Even worse, I noticed the occasional missing character. I traced this to the computer side - sometimes when responding to the hardware handshake, the computer/dongle combination would lose a character. Be warned - some of those USB dongles are a bit rubbishy.

Yes, I've had various problems with them in the past [specifically the handling of a BREAK signal].

A few years back there were quite a few fake USB-to-serial-interface chips on the market; the genuine ones came from FTDI but these were cloned somewhere in China and had very variable behaviour!

Karen O 14th Sep 2019 4:35 pm

I'll post a scan of a print-out just as soon as I find the spare rolls of thermal paper, Dom. As always, I've put them somewhere so safe I can't find them again :-[

Karen O 18th Sep 2019 7:22 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Here's that scan. About par for the course for thermal print-outs, I'd say...?

mole42uk 18th Sep 2019 8:56 pm

It’ll be good until the print fades......

We used to photocopy the thermal prints onto plain paper. Slightly adrift from the “paperless office” that we were promised in the ‘80’s…

Karen O 19th Sep 2019 12:13 am

The spare rolls of thermal paper came in opaque black wrappers. I assume that's due to UV sensitivity or something? I was going to mount a 'loo roll holder' on the top of my printer, but I suspect the paper will spoil if left exposed like that.

mole42uk 19th Sep 2019 3:46 pm

I'm not sure how long it takes, but UV certainly does degrade thermal paper so I'd probably not leave the paper on a roll holder between printing sessions.

dominicbeesley 20th Sep 2019 12:05 pm

That doesn't look bad! I'm tempted to get one for my 8bit machines now. It's not that often I want to print from them but occasionally a program listing is in order...