UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Clubs, Groups and Societies (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Radiophile - Radio Bygones (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=134409)

GrahamN 1st Mar 2017 11:54 am

Radiophile - Radio Bygones

As some of you may have already heard, Radio Bygones will no longer be published as a separate magazine and will be incorporated within The Radiophile from the next issue.

More details will be available later.

Station X 1st Mar 2017 11:58 am

Re: Radiophile - Radio Bygones

This was announced in the latest and last edition of RB.

It looks like I'll be getting a hard copy of the combined mag posted to me from now on rather than my receiving a pdf version.

More paper to take up space!

M0FYA Andy 1st Mar 2017 2:37 pm

That is disappointing news!
I've always thoroughly enjoyed Radio Bygones, whereas I gave up on Radiophile as I got totally fed up with the amount of non-radio-related drivel it was padded out with.
I'll not be subscribing to the combined version.
Andy

Paul Stenning 1st Mar 2017 2:47 pm

It is very disappointing that we are losing a publication.

I lost interest in Radiophile and stopped subscribing several years ago, when Chas seemed obsessed with converting every AC/DC chassis to 110V and/or isolated chassis while carrying out almost no proper repairs or testing. The increasing amount of non-radio stuff was another factor.

Radio Bygones seems to concentrate mainly on military and amateur equipment etc which is not my area of interest. It is however a much more professional publication.

I won't be subscribing to the new combined version either.

FIXITNOW 1st Mar 2017 3:50 pm

I have brought various second-hand collections of the Radiophile lately ,and must admit its not something I would have subscribed too, but at about 50p per mag they have cost me ,there has been some bits of interest so have been happy to obtain them.
I am also collecting up Radio Bygones when the price is right and am finding it a more interesting magazine but no where as good as the BVWS to which I subscribe

dave walsh 1st Mar 2017 3:55 pm

This is disappointing news all round:( but we've already agreed that the "restoration generation" may be declining and publishing in general is not getting any easier. Members may recall the decline of Practical Television and the struggle to revive it with what was a fairly decent effort that still failed from lack of support. I do understand the space saving and other advantages of on line mags but so far, I'd been able to keep on with hard cover subscriptions to The Bulletin, Radiophile and Bygones; which I find easier to use in many ways. The excellent Bulletin is different, of course, as the Subs are for membership!

I was happy with all of these publications distinctive content [all opinions are subjective in the end] but realistically, sometimes things are just inevitable. I will be happy to "wait and see" what is planned for the future rather than making a quick decision but that's all for the individual to decide of course. I'm very likely to be influenced though by what may, in the end, avoid the loss of TWO magazines. There was a recent suggestion from Chas in the Xmas Radiophile that it could go down to three [fatter] editions and I strongly supported that notion. Maybe a combined mag of this type will rise from the ashes? I have been particularly impressed with the work done by Graham to relaunch the Radiophile and take the strain off its not so young, owner.

I thought that I had the latest Radio Bygones [162 Winter] Graham but there must be another one [final as you say] because I can't find a ref to closure in this edition. Can you confirm yours is 163 and when it arrived please?

There is a certain irony in the latest merger proposal as history is [almost] repeating itself because these two publications almost came together in the late 80's and it's been necessary to explain that somewhat confusing situation quite recently. I don't want to get a reputation for requesting endless links on here but I do think that it would be very helpful to this discussion if it was linked to Graham's "Radiophile" thread of January 22nd this year which refers to that time-my comment is at post 20.

Dave

Station X 1st Mar 2017 7:07 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave walsh (Post 923551)
I thought that I had the latest Radio Bygones [162 Winter] Graham but there must be another one [final as you say] because I can't find a ref to closure in this edition. Can you confirm yours is 163 and when it arrived please?

Dave

I subscribe to the ELECTRONIC version of RB. I received issue 163 (Spring 2017) by email on Monday 27 February 2017.

dave walsh 1st Mar 2017 8:51 pm

Thanks very much Graham, that's only 48 hours ago, e-mail is faster than the other sort. Given current developments I was thinking that the final issue might have gone out a few weeks ago and not been sent to me. Clearly there's hope yet:thumbsup: I wouldn't like to miss that final one but ironically, having just checked the archive, I've got six misplaced [from 153 onwards] I'm sure they will turn up though. I tend to live in a forest of paper which is relatively under control.

Dave W.

Reelman 1st Mar 2017 10:07 pm

I spoke to Wimborne publishing this afternoon to check on my RB subscription which I allowed to lapse in error. The lady I spoke to who is the daughter of the editor of RB told me that the last paper edition, 163 should be available by the end of the week. Sadly due to ill health her father is unable to continue.
Peter

dave walsh 1st Mar 2017 10:46 pm

Thanks Peter-that's a great shame!
Dave

Mike Fulton 1st Mar 2017 11:22 pm

Hmm...
Paid for the next 4 issues online for the PDF version last Sunday, wondered why nothing had happened - very sad....
May email and request the previous 4 issues in lieu :'(

David G4EBT 1st Mar 2017 11:41 pm

I've subscribed to Radio Bygones for about 20 years, but had decided not to renew this year as the content is mainly military and amateur radio, neither of which hold any interest for me. It had also gone from 6 issues per year to four, but was supposed to have the same amount of content. I haven't received my winter (final?) copy as yet, but strangely, on the website there is no mention of its demise or its incorporation into any other publication, and it's still possible to renew online:

http://www.radiobygones.co.uk/index.html

I'm on the EPE 'Chatzone' ('forum'), EPE being the sister publication of RB, (which mostly consists of articles from Silicon Chip magazine in Oz). On that 'Chatzone', there has always been an RB section, though few postings on it, but I see section has disappeared now, so there is no RB archive. Odd that there's no mention of RBs demise in the EPE section - I'd have thought that the website or the RB website would have carried a news update.

http://www.chatzones.co.uk/cgi-bin/d....cgi?pg=topics

(I stopped taking Radiophile back in the late 1980s when it was a few photocopied typewritten sheets stapled together. I've no interest in subscribing to it, but I wish it well).

dave walsh 2nd Mar 2017 1:19 am

162 is Winter David and it seems that the final 163 [Hard Copy] will come out this week as indicated earlier. I've not really given subscription a thought but I can see it might be a problem for those who aren't wanting to be involved with a Radiophile combined replacement or had already given up on RB. I actually think Radiophile is great but then I'd pay for the glamour covers even without the technical and historical articles. I don't always like the content of lots of publications I support but then I've never seem mags as throw away items and I may well be in a minority there8-\ I'm more concerned with keeping the last few mags going. I've got a number of those stapled Radiophiles. It did improve you know;) Even the glossy BVWS Bulletin started out like that:D

Dave W

Aerodyne 4th Mar 2017 3:57 pm

Radio Bygones take-over

By now at least some of you will have received your latest Radio Bygones. In fact, it will be the last Radio Bygones, as Mike Kenward (editor and publisher) has reluctantly decided to retire from the editorship. This is due to the advancing illness he has suffered from for some time.

The magazine will be incorporated into The Radiophile, so all is not lost. Chas Miller tells me that he is expanding the page count of The Radiophile and will be adding input from at least some of the Radio Bygones contributors.

It only remains for me and I'm sure very many of this forum's membership to offer our thanks to Mike for everything he has done to keep Radio Bygones alive for many years and to wish him well for the future. We should also thank Chas for taking such a task on in addition to his considerable workload.

Tony

dave walsh 4th Mar 2017 4:17 pm

Re: Radio Bygones take-over

This thread was very helpful in terms of gathering info. I'd like to echo your best wishes towards the Editor who has been forced to retire the magazine due to his health. I recall one of his editorials re domestic halogen lighting which wasn't very vintage but extremely informative.

I've every confidence that Chas will be able combine his already expressed intentions re The Radiophile with the sad but ironic new developments. [Radiophile] Graham will be invaluable in this respect. I shall look forward to receiving the new incarnation which I'm sure will at least go a long way to preserving at least one magazine of this type for the future:thumbsup:

Dave

Thanks for merging threads Graham SX.

We were advised by the Editors daughter that the last RB's would go out at the end of this week and mine arrived this morning!

GrahamN 4th Mar 2017 4:43 pm

A statement from Mike Kenward now appears on the Radio Bygones website. I've received a number of messages both on and off the forum regarding future plans particularly with regard to pdf copies. I shall be talking to Chas regarding this and other matters within the next few days hopefully, but no decisions can be made until we receive the subscription list from Mike and look at the exact mix of pdf and print copies as well as subscribers who currently get both magazines. (Exact figure are not yet available due to confidentiality agreements before the 1st March merger).

HamishBoxer 5th Mar 2017 6:32 pm

I got my RB Saturday and read the news from Mike re Parkinsons and my thoughts go out to him and his family.
Think I have taken RB and Radiophile from day one and remember meeting the previous editor Geoff Arnold.
Both magazines I consider excellent and different and hope the merger works out for all.

Vintage Engr 6th Mar 2017 6:04 pm

I'm in a similar position to Hamish, having all the copies of RB since it's start of publication.
Geoff was launching it at the (Now long gone)Pickett's Lock Amateur Radio Rally, and Chas also had a stand there. It was that first issue of RB that heralded the incorporation of 'The Radiophile', an event which in the end, didn't happen until now.

I shall miss the very different style of RB but wait with anticipation of what is to come. I also thank Mike Kenward for all his hard work in producing a most excellent magazine and wish him a peaceful retirement.

Dave.

GrahamN 7th Mar 2017 6:12 pm

Just a quick update on this. I have had several long conversations with Chas, and he is amenable (subject to a couple of technical issues which I am currently sorting out) to making the new combined Radiophile / Radio Bygones magazine available as a pdf. This may be restricted initially to existing Radio Bygones pdf subscribers, but may be rolled out to new subscribers later if successful.

Graham

Ed_Dinning 11th Mar 2017 8:17 pm

Hi Graham, what arrangements are in place to notify subscribers when their subs are due. I realise that there is the excellent system run by Radiophile , and a letter was sent out by RB.
In my case I have had the last Radiophile on my current subs, but have not yet renewed due to the merger. I believe I have one or 2 issues to come on RB, will I be notified?

Thanks, Ed