UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Homebrew Equipment (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Retro computer homebrew: Minimal Z80 computer (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149913)

Karen O 20th Sep 2018 8:29 pm

Retro computer homebrew: Minimal Z80 computer

2 Attachment(s)
This is a Z80 computer that I completed a while ago.

I have only this evening toggled in the example program - echo.asm - and verified that it works.

This must surely be the most minimal of Z80 computers?

One day, I hope to port MS Basic onto it (or maybe one of you will beat me to it!)

Enjoy.

Refugee 21st Sep 2018 12:02 am

Re: Retro computer homebrew: Minimal Z80 computer

Are you thinking of adding a floppy drive to it?
I have a box of stuff for the TRS 80 if you are interested.

Karen O 21st Sep 2018 1:06 am

That's very kind of you, Refugee, but this computer is more of an exercise in minimalism than anything else.

It has one serial port which in the past you'd run at 110 baud and use an 33 asr teleprinter to communicate. You would save and store your programs using the teletype's paper tape punch/reader.

These days we use a terminal emulation running on a modern PC :)

Refugee 21st Sep 2018 3:27 am

I offered the TRS80 software before and nothing happened. The computer it was with it long gone.

Al (astral highway) 24th Sep 2018 10:15 am

Hello Karen,

Just to say I’m loving your batch of ingenious builds and very comprehensive write-ups.

There’s so much in here, it’s incredibly impressive. I’m go My to print out hard copies to study properly as the nights draw in !!

Thanks again !!

Karen O 24th Sep 2018 10:33 am

You're very kind, Al.

You'll find the implementation of the serial port a bit nutty, but it works!

I plan one day to turn the 'echo' program into a boot loader, which can then load in a 'checksum boot loader' over the serial link, which can then load in MS Basic. Just like the good ol' days!

Even though I run the LEDs at only 100uA, they are still a bit too bright and dazzling. A testament to the efficiency of modern LEDs?

Enjoy!

dominicbeesley 24th Sep 2018 1:10 pm

Nice work Karen.

I like the serial port, deviously daft!

paulsherwin 24th Sep 2018 4:45 pm

Very impressive work. Nice construction too.

Guest 24th Sep 2018 6:43 pm

It takes 500k at least these days to do a serial echo programme what with all the library links etc.. I did like Acorn BASIC with inline assembler.