UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Telephony and Telecomms (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   GPO 332 conversion to plug and socket. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=178197)

Martyn K 25th Mar 2021 9:29 pm

GPO 332 conversion to plug and socket.

Hi, I hope you can give me some advice. I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE AT ALL, but doing a Lockdown project with my son.

We are trying to get a GPO 332L working on a BT line.

I am NOT trying a Ringtone Conversion

I am trying to get it working on the old Pulse signal

So far we can:-

Ring in to the 332L from my mobile phone

The bells ring on the 332L

I can hear the person on the 332L speak to me clearly

BUT:-

The person on the 332L cannot hear me at all

Additionally, when I connect/plug into my home phone socket with the 332L my internet goes OFF until I unplug it

I have NOT been able to ring out from the 332L yet

Possibly the Dial is not good? (12FBR 62/2)

My Line colours are the new ones so I have transposed as below

See LIST below for colours and connections made

My Handset is complete – No. 164
New diaphragm fitted just in case
I am using the existing cord

Green – T3
White – T4
Red – T5

332L LINE cord colours
OLD-NEW BT Plug cord colours

Red-Yellow-B-T9
Blue-Green-Ringer-T11
White-Black-A-T1

Green-Red-spare-not used

Terminals Linked
T1 + T2
T8 + T9
T10 + T11 + T12

russell_w_b 26th Mar 2021 5:37 pm

Re: GPO 332 conversion to plug and socket.

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Martyn, and welcome to the forum.

You appear to have the telephone's own capacitor linked in and you shouldn't need that if you're plugging into a line-jack unit.

Could you connect your lead to your telephone as per the attached diagram? My diagram shows the 'traditional' colours that come with a BT standard plug and lead. The numbers on the BT plug read left to right as you look down on the contact side with the lead towards you and the plug-end away from you. Don't worry about a resistor between terminals 11 and 12 for now - a link will be fine.

Dave Moll 26th Mar 2021 7:47 pm

Although, as Russell says, you need to disconnect the internal capacitor if you are using the ringing wire from the master socket, I wouldn't expect this to cause the problems you describe, so you may still have a problem after doing so.

russell_w_b 26th Mar 2021 8:00 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Moll (Post 1357666)
I wouldn't expect this to cause the problems you describe, so you may still have a problem after doing so.

I wouldn't either, Dave, but I thought better to start from a 'clean' plug and socket conversion and take things from there. I run my 1968 Ericsson Dialog with the internal capacitor connected and in parallel with the one in the LJU and it works fine.

Dave Moll 26th Mar 2021 8:22 pm

Indeed!