UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Early Philips Colour Television (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80269)

Philips Fan 21st Feb 2012 6:27 pm

Early Philips Colour Television

Dear All

It's been a while coming but I have begun a project to port my (very well visited) early Philips TV website to a new WordPress platform. The site only got 50% finished and so if there are any Philips fans out there who want to get involved (as contributors, editors or reviewers) please do contact me.

I need to complete the G8 and G11 sections and add info to the rest.

Kindest regards to all.

Robert

http://www.philipstv.org.uk/

Philips Fan 21st Feb 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Early Philips Colour Television

One thing I should say is that I am desperate for donations. No not money, not equipment but for information!

If you can spare any valuable information be it technical data, nostalgic stories and experiences, restoration projects, photographs in fact anything to do with Philips colour sets made between 1967 and 1983 I would be eternally grateful and would like to use them on the site. I will give full credit to contributors.

So please do get in contact via pm here or the site itself.

Many thanks...

Robert

http://www.philipstv.org.uk/

bobbyball 21st Feb 2012 10:51 pm

What a great site!

Are you including "foreign" sets such as the K70?

Robert

Philips Fan 22nd Feb 2012 7:40 am

Hiya Bobby

Well anything is game really as long as it fits into the 'time frame' under consideration. At this point I'm still trying to nail the remainder of the G8 and haven't started the G11 yet.

My aim was (and still is) to make the site the No 1 resource for Philips colour sets from that period. I have had thousands of hits since 2007 and feedback/questions from all over the world.

I would really appreciate any help and support that's available (in effect I'm giving the site to you guys for the benefit of all). I so don't want these old sets to be forgotten like so much great stuff we did in the UK has been.

If you can help with knowledge and info please get in contact. Maybe you can write a short article on a specific area and provide some photos?

Cheers

Robert

Mike Phelan 22nd Feb 2012 10:32 am

You'll need a big file for the K70 if you do it (no, I'm not volunteering!).

bobbyball 22nd Feb 2012 11:49 am

Well I have two K70's awaiting "restoration" - if it ever happens - so apart from reading a lot about them (and feeling quite scared), I don't know too much about the chassis apart from - when - it is set up well, the picture is very good. Mine are in storage at the moment but this cosy arrangement is shortly to cease so I will have to have a grand sort out and the K70's will be accessible. If I do do anything with them then I will contribute as much as I can to your site!

Robert

Philips Fan 22nd Feb 2012 12:24 pm

Thanks Bobby that's awesome. I'd love document a K70 restoration. If you have photos/manual extracts and descriptions. I look forward to it.

I am also desperate for some kind soul to do a technical description of the G8 Electronics section here: http://earlyphilipstv.wordpress.com/g8/g8-electronics/ Anyone fancy a go?

Thanks

Robert

bobbyball 22nd Feb 2012 3:46 pm

Well one day I might just do it - watch this space...

Andy Doz 22nd Feb 2012 4:23 pm

Great site... one slight constructive criticism. The G8 pictures look too tall and thin on my browser (mozilla) ... turn the height down a touch !!

Philips Fan 22nd Feb 2012 6:36 pm

Hi Andy yes I see that too its the way WordPress is resizing them. I'll try to fix it ASAP.

If you click on the G8 set images they will resize to the correct aspect ratio so its the 'thumbnails' I need to fix. http://earlyphilipstv.wordpress.com/g8/

Regards

Robert

UPDATE should be better now I hope.

G8VAT Wolfman 22nd Feb 2012 10:51 pm

What a great beginning... hope you carry on the good work and don't let it go stale.

My only grumble is the one that many sites suffer from.. monster header, you can't see anything of the actual page until you scroll down.

But I loved the closeup detail pictures of the chassis', I'd forgotten just how enormous those old glass delay lines were.. and about all the other gubbins down the back of a G6 chassis.

..and the size of the EHT can or 'Towering Inferno' as they became known in our workshop.

Another site to pluck the old nostalgia strings, it ain't what it used to be you know!

Keep up the good work.

Philips Fan 23rd Feb 2012 8:21 am

Thanks Graham

Yeah the large header is a function of that theme (I like the theme) so we may be stuck with the header size!

I appreciate the feedback. I am always looking of sources of info for those sets/period.

Regards

Robert

Hybrid tellies 23rd Feb 2012 6:24 pm

What an interesting site.I have just spent the last 30 minutes browsing through some of it. Look forward to spending more time keeping up with this site.

Philips Fan 23rd Feb 2012 6:55 pm

Thanks Simon

One thing I should say is that I have just installed a new instance of WordPress on my own webspace. This mean I will be able to install plug-ins that let me do things like change the header size! I am in effect running the WP code by myself (never done this before always used Wordpress.com).

Finger crossed this will work ok and I am changing the web forwarder asap!

Regards

Robert

Philips Fan 23rd Feb 2012 7:30 pm

Done, all under our own steam now!!!

Have fixed the header too (for G8VAT Wolfman).

Should have some interesting new stuff on the G6 tuner assembly soon too.

Rob

bobbyball 23rd Feb 2012 10:15 pm

I shall keep this one in my "favourites"...

Robert

Philips Fan 23rd Feb 2012 10:56 pm

Get those K70s on the site mate! ;-)

bobbyball 23rd Feb 2012 11:12 pm

They're in storage at the moment but time is running out on the storage so action will need to be taken "sooner rather than later"...

Philips Fan 24th Feb 2012 7:35 am

That may 'force the issue' then!

Good luck.

Robert

Synchrodyne 27th Feb 2012 10:08 am

1 Attachment(s)
This is an item perhaps right at the edge of the topic range here; the attached sales sheet refers to a Philips industrial monitor-receiver that I am fairly sure was derived from the K9 domestic receiver. It sure looks like one, anyway.

But the surprise is that the said monitor-receivers were seen in the UK, at a video show in one of the Heathrow hotels towards the end of 1976. The sales sheet, which I picked up at that show, refers to the System B/G variant, although those physically at the show were System I. The K9 was of course very familiar as probably the best-known colour TV receiver in New Zealand from the opening of the colour service in 1973, but my understanding is that domestic K9 receivers were not sold in the UK. Thus I did a double-take when I saw one there. (The most common general purpose monitor-receiver at that show seemed to be the Barco CRM2631 and its rebrands, though.)

I guess an unanswered question is that given the fact that the K9 was sold in many regions and countries, including Europe, Australia and New Zealand, and over quite a time period, why did Philips UK not use it? It certainly seemed to have a good reputation.

Cheers,