UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Walsall cooker wall switch with kettle plug (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=109216)

KerryLyn 7th Sep 2014 5:37 pm

Walsall cooker wall switch with kettle plug

Hiya, I have just picked up a vintage Jackson cooker and still connected to it is the wall mounted switch, this has a Walsall sticker at the top, cooker on / off switch to the left and a round kettle plug on the right, slightly up from the middle is a large red jewelled light cover, across the bottom is 30 A. 250 V.

The main question is does anyone have any information on this switch and is it usable with new wires and fuses fitted inside?

At the moment it has 2 ceramic fuses (possible later addition as the light for the jewel light is totally missing).

Thank you for any help in advance.

matthewhouse 7th Sep 2014 7:57 pm

Re: Walsall cooker wall switch with kettle plug

I'm sure I've seen these wonderful switches, or ones similar to your description before. How about some photos. It will probably work fine, but probably won't meet current wiring regulations. Does it have one fuse for the cooker and one for the socket, or are they both for the socket? The indicator bulb in the last one I saw was a 15W BC pigmy. That one had a 13A socket.

Brigham 7th Sep 2014 8:33 pm

What model is the Jackson? I'm looking for a correct wall-box for mine. They're very difficult to search for, even on eBay, chiefly because of the lack of a universal descriptive name, and because J. Public esq. sees only an 'old switch'.

I'd love to see a pic., of both if possible.

KerryLyn 23rd Nov 2014 8:44 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Hiya, sorry for the lack of response, I stuck the socket in a box and forgot all about it. Just been having a sort out and found it saw it again. I hope the pictures work.

hansomcommon 25th Nov 2014 12:32 pm

Certainly worth using, it would clean up with Jenolite on the front panel, If the two fuses are on live & neutral the recommended fix was to render the neutral fuse "un blowable" by a really heavy wire & correctly fuse the live. The little 240v 7w bulbs sold for flea killers make ideal bulbs for behind the red jewel light, a nice thing to keep.

Brigham 25th Nov 2014 2:02 pm

It's slightly too modern for my cooker, but it would certainly do the job.

Guest 25th Nov 2014 9:57 pm

Quote:

The little 240v 7w bulbs sold for flea killers make ideal bulbs for behind the red jewel light, a nice thing to keep.
And will give a nice light to get a glass of water at night.