UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   BBC schools’ booklet. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=158035)

Valvepower 14th Jul 2019 1:05 pm

BBC schools’ booklet.

3 Attachment(s)
Hello,

Seeing the “Oh for a Time Machine” thread reminded me of a Time and Tune BBC schools’ booklet I found in a New Forest charity store in the last week.

I remember these from my Junior school days in the 60’s being used to accompany schools broadcasts. I’m not sure, but I may remember this actual one as I’d have been seven at the time and we used to listen to schools’ radio.

There was the Clarke and Smith radio in the office and a portable (well kind of) speaker with a jack to jack lead connecting to a socket in the classroom – from memory this speaker was made by Wharfedale? Being a nerdy radio kid, this kit fascinated me no end.

This dates back to the summer term of 1967 and Looking at the back it mentions the Home Service, I figure this was the last to be issued ahead of the change to Radio 1, 2, 3 and 4 in the September of 1967 marking the end of an era in broadcasting.

Regards
Terry

avocollector 19th Jul 2019 6:27 pm

Re: BBC schools’ booklet.

Can remember we had something similar back in the late 50's (Good God am I THAT old) in primary school - think the booklets were called sing out and they had the words and music to a BBC broadcast of English and foreign folk songs. Our ancient Headmaster 'Taffy' Taylor (white haired and incredibly ancient) used to wheel in this ancient valve radio, stick a pencil down the mains earth socket hole and holding them by the rubber insulation push the two wires in the other holes then pull out the pencil so the inside clamp would come down on them. No on-off switch of course. One particularly memorable day he got it wrong and must of been touching one of the wires or the insulation had crumbled as he pushed one in as he suddenly sort of screamed, dropped the wires, jumped up and down, and the front of his trousers were suddenly wet!!! He immediately rushed off and our form teacher Miss Lorrie took over - most of us were upset and crying for poor old Taffy so it was not one of the better sessions! In retrospect it was quite funny though.

suebutcher 21st Jul 2019 1:57 pm

Thanks for the pictures Terry, nice to see a booklet again even if our sing-alongs weren't much fun! The teacher who ran most of the music and movement stuff at my primary school was always finding fault with me for some reason.

Were you at Holt Farm County Junior School by any chance?

Lancs Lad 21st Jul 2019 2:54 pm

Why on earth didn't somebody put a plug on that radio :-/

avocollector 21st Jul 2019 6:03 pm

Well this must have been back about 1958 or so in a small rural English primary school with 3 or 4 teachers including the headmaster - either stinginess or lack of willing to meddle with it - the latter was a very common attitude ie if you did not know exactly what you were doing you left it alone. However thinking back there also was a caretaker there so God knows why BUT I can recall we had more sessions that year and Taffy did exactly the same (without repeating the dance) the next few times.