UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Dr Who returns with 1979 technology. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=141632)

Andrew2 24th Nov 2017 10:40 am

Dr Who returns with 1979 technology.

Apologies if this is a bit off-piste.
Tom Baker is to return as The Doctor in a previously unfinished story originally semi-filmed in the 70's. Original scenes (shot but never finished due to a strike) will be combined with animation and newly shot footage featuring Tom Baker.
Quote:
And to truly get the look of the scene right Norton used all sorts of authentic filming techniques from the period, while also digging out a recreation of Baker’s Tardis previously on display in the now-closed Doctor Who Experience to serve as their set.

“It was shot with 1979 tube cameras,” he went on. “We were working in a television studio as opposed to a film stage, so we could get the lighting right. We had a very good lighting guy who had actually worked on Doctor Who in the 70s and 80s.

I'm not a fan of Dr Who (well, not since I was in my teens), but I'll look out for this to see if they have captured that 70's video look.

llama 24th Nov 2017 11:16 am

Re: Dr Who returns with 1979 technology.

I think this is the one where Tom is punting with Lalla on the Cam. That sequence was used in a composite 5 Doctors type thing in which he was scooped up and trapped. I believe it was "completed" as a Radio Four play perhaps 10 years ago. I've probably got it saved somewhere.
Yes, been a fan since that fateful Saturday. So great news, thanks!
Graham

Radio Wrangler 24th Nov 2017 11:23 am

Douglas Adams script!

David

mike_newcomb 24th Nov 2017 11:28 am

Lalla appeared to be a Katy Manning Clone.

M0FYA Andy 24th Nov 2017 11:59 am

I've always been a Dr Who fan, right from the beginning, so it will be interesting to see. I have to say that the earlier series do now look very clonky when compared with later ones!
Andy

Richard_FM 24th Nov 2017 2:40 pm

I have the DVD of the early 1990s recreation, which used Tom Baker to narrate the parts that were missing.

Brigham 24th Nov 2017 7:42 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_newcomb (Post 994032)
Lalla appeared to be a Katy Manning Clone.

Not to me, although I did have a major crush on them both.

Dave Moll 24th Nov 2017 7:55 pm

As soon as I heard the half-time preview prior to the news item on the lunch-time news, I immediately thought "I'm glad that Shada is to be released at last." I look forward to seeing it. Yes, I know an audio version was done, but it's not the same.

As far as the earlier Whos being clunky is concerned, just stop and wonder at what was achieved on half a shoestring compared with the money spent on it these days.

dave walsh 24th Nov 2017 8:34 pm

Featured on the BBC1 local news [South East Today] an hour ago-Douglas Adams was mentioned with great fondness]. Good TV history but I don't like the mid period stuff myself. The early B+W episodes were extraordinary and really inventive Sci Fi, also the revival first series stories with Ecclestone and Piper ect. Everything gets formulaic in the end!
Dave W

Boom 7th Dec 2017 5:15 pm

The William Hartnell lookalike is quite good IMHO. Hartnell was to me THE Dr Who.

Dave Moll 7th Dec 2017 9:37 pm

He is, of course, the second William Hartnell look-alike to reprise the role of the original Doctor since the death of WH. The first was Richard Hurndall in The Five Doctors in 1983.