UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Philips Video 2000 Player problem. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=121931)

DAVE123 15th Dec 2015 10:30 pm

Philips Video 2000 Player problem.

Hi, this is my first post so apologies if I do anything wrong!

I have a Phillips Video 2000 player (Model VR2022). All functions work great and the picture quality is really good, but I cannot get any sound. I've tried fine tuning the TV and even adjusting the RF Trimmer on the back of the unit, but so far - nothing :( It's the same with all the retail tapes I have.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

julie_m 16th Dec 2015 9:21 am

Re: Phillips Video 2000 Player problem.

Was the recorder made for use in the UK?

If it was made for use on the Continent, then it will have its sound on a 5.5 MHz carrier as opposed to the 6 MHz used in the UK.

dj_fivos_sak 16th Dec 2015 11:25 am

Re: Phillips Video 2000 Player problem.

I agree with julie_m. The UK uses PAL I while the rest of Europe uses PAL B/G which has a different sound carrier. Try again in a multi-system TV set and see...

DAVE123 16th Dec 2015 12:14 pm

Re: Philips Video 2000 Player problem.

Hi julie_m and dj_fivos_sak.

Many thanks for your help. I believe it is a UK Model, but I will check to make sure later on tonight.

Cheers, Dave. :)

Maarten 16th Dec 2015 12:33 pm

To determine for which market the recorder was made, please give the full model number as seen on the label on the back.

DAVE123 16th Dec 2015 1:06 pm

Ok Maarten, will do :)

DAVE123 16th Dec 2015 9:39 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Hi.

I've taken a photograph of the back of the machine where all of the details are.
Just to clarify: I am in the UK and I believe this to be a UK machine.

Cheers,
Dave.

dj_fivos_sak 16th Dec 2015 11:52 pm

Also check the voltage. If it says 240 V then it's the UK model. If it says 220 V then it's the European.

julie_m 17th Dec 2015 2:19 am

It looks like a UK machine, labelled in English as 240 V. So that means we probably can forget about the sound carrier issue. The problem then could be in the audio playback or RF modulator circuits. There is a third possibility: a mis-set switch or control. It's just about within the bounds of probability that Philips might have provided an audio muting switch or level control, or a switch to select an external audio source; some of the early VCRs were designed with some exotic features that were rarely if ever used, and were removed from later models without fuss nor fanfare At least on a machine of that age, it will be an actual switch, as opposed to an item in an on-screen menu. Look for any concealed knobs or switches.

Are there any sockets around the back? Maybe there is an audio/video out, probably on a DIN socket -- Philips loved DIN sockets -- that you could wire to the TV's SCART input and bypass the RF modulator and TV tuner altogether. Is there a switch near them, that might be for selecting an external audio source? (Any 5-pin, 180-degree, "A-type" DIN socket is almost invariably an audio in/out connection.) Pictures would help.

If you have some sort of modulated analogue RF source (such as another, known working VCR or a games console with an RF adaptor) try tuning one of the recorder's channel presets to its frequency and displaying on the TV what the VR2022 recorder is about to record (this is known technically as "E-E passthrough" -- short for "electronic to electronic" -- mode). Can you get sound then?

In the worst case, you will have to try to follow the audio signal from the head with an oscilloscope. A service manual would be a great help here, though you can just about do it "blind".

John123 17th Dec 2015 2:28 am

Not 100% on this, but I think this model required some sort of add-on to get access to direct Audio/ Video (input and output).

Maarten 17th Dec 2015 4:58 am

The suffix /05 indicates it is definitely a PAL I machine for the UK. It must have some fault.

dj_fivos_sak 17th Dec 2015 3:21 pm

Did you try recording with the machine?

DAVE123 17th Dec 2015 10:57 pm

5 Attachment(s)
Hi, and again - thank you all for your help so far.

Thank you julie_m for the list of stuff to look for.

Well, i'm going to add some more photos of the machine. I've looked all the way around it and have only really found one thing that I didn't know was there already. It's a small hidden connector just below the front panel. I've also noted there's a manual RF trimmer on the back, but adjusting this just sets the picture off and does not affect the sound at all. I've not been able to do as suggested (i.e.: the E-E Pass through) yet. However, i did manage to remove a blanking cover which revealed an AUX connector.

Please bear with me as my tech knowledge is not good, but i'm trying my best to figure out what's what.

I did wonder if at some point, someone had muted the machine via a remote control (which sadly i don't have) and it's still in mute 'mode'. Is that even possible?

Dave.

julie_m 18th Dec 2015 1:52 am

Hmm, that AUX connector could be interesting ..... It's probably carrying baseband audio and video, maybe even separate picture and colour รก la S-VHS (all VCRs actually record the picture and colour signals separately). Does the blanking piece you removed join any of the pins of the AUX connector together?

bobbyball 18th Dec 2015 1:07 pm

The early Philips V2000 machines - VR2020/2021/2022 - were desiged to have "add ons" - a remote control kit and an AV adaptor were produced to plug into special sockets on the machine.

See http://www.totalrewind.org/v2000/V_2020.htm

The AV adaptor (I cannot remember the type number, someone on here will know) plugs into the rectangular "aux" socket and provides BNC and DIN audio and video connections. This module is quite rare but they do come up for sale from time to time.

The audio issue in your machine is more likely to be to do with one of the many plug-in modules that the deck uses and would best be resolved with the help of the service manual for the model. They were very complex machines for their day and used many IC's for signal routing. At this age there could be a number of component issues and the modules were also known for bad soldered joints.

Nice machines when they are working, and the 2022 was one of the nicer looking of the range I always thought.

mhennessy 18th Dec 2015 2:04 pm

That hidden connector is for the remote control receiver module IIRC...

These machines are a bird's nest of wiring harnesses and connectors. The wires are mostly solid core, crimped into IDC connectors. They are tin plated rather than gold, and can become unreliable with age in my experience. Be careful if you start disturbing things inside.

A bit more info is required here. Has the machine ever worked properly in your possession, or have you just acquired it in this state? Is it the same with known-good recordings (vs. recordings made now)? Does it also affect E-E sound (I think it does from what's been said so far)? Answers to these questions will help to narrow things down - they are complicated machines, and it would be easy to lose yourself in a rabbit hole ;)

dseymo1 18th Dec 2015 6:00 pm

That rear view has just reminded me where I obtained some rather stylish heatsinks.
I'd forgotten where they came from - definitely getting old!

Electricdreams 18th Dec 2015 9:55 pm

The VR2022 is the version with cue and review and pause added.
Common faults with these VCRs are DRY JOINTS as well as failing caps in the PSU.

A couple of things to check, have you tried tuning into a RF feed with audio on the VCR? If so is there sound from the tuner?
If it's playback only, have you cleaned the audio head? IPA and chamois leather cloth will do well.
Cottonbuds can be used but the strands will get stuck on sharp places and makes a mess so be careful with those.

If the video is fine, don't clean the video heads.

Most likely the fault will be one of the power rail on the PSU. With a meter you can check the voltages output and whichever is too low trace back to the cause.

If all output are ok, fault would be the audio head or audio board. I have the Vr2022 service manual if you want it send me a PM

Be careful there are HIGH VOLTAGES, leave it to someone with more experience if unsure.

samjmann 18th Dec 2015 10:01 pm

When I used to service them years back, the 20pin connector at the back was used as a test point for head switch points setting etc. It definitely had audio out on it as it doubled as the BNC AV connector box add-on point. Very expensive it was too. If you've got access to a scope you should see both composite video and audio on the connector. Sorry, I can't remember the pin numbers now.

As already mentioned be very careful with these old VCR's they were incredibly
complicated for the day. There was a special set of extension boards sent out to Philips Dealers to service these units, I'm afraid without these you may be stuck. My old boss put a set of them in the skip 15 years ago, never thought anyone would be needing them again.

You might be lucky, I seem to recall a few units with mechanical/dry joints type faults around the modulator due to people been heavy handed with the co-ax plugs to it. One of the best VCR's of it's day, look at it's VHS counterparts. SJM.

TonyDuell 18th Dec 2015 10:09 pm

The extender boards could probably be made (plenty of extenders have been made for classic computers) but IIRC there was also a service firmware module that would be almost impossible to make (unless you have one to copy).

It's mentioned in passing in the service manual I have. It clipped (one of those 40 pin DIL test clips) onto one of the microcontrollers, pulled the EA pin high (forcing it to ignore the internal firmware ROM) and provided firmware for the microcontroller (presumably a ROM and address latch). It then let you test various mechanical functions, etc, from the front panel buttons.