UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Television in the Home (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=176995)

Panrock 24th Feb 2021 10:17 am

Television in the Home

2 Attachment(s)
A picture of a set in domestic surroundings elsewhere has spurred me to start this thread, where people can show off pictures of their own vintage sets in room settings, whether working or not, along with perhaps the occasional advertising photo on the theme of 'television in the home'.

I'll start the ball rolling with a pre-war Marconi 702, no longer in my possession, and the cover from a book.

Steve

peter_scott 24th Feb 2021 12:58 pm

Re: Television in the Home

3 Attachment(s)
I can't offer much other than a couple featuring the domestic surroundings of others. The second photo I took when visiting FDR's house.

Peter

Panrock 24th Feb 2021 1:10 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Peter. Nice pic of Jeffrey.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt? You keep good company!

Continuing the pre-war theme, here's a nice piece I had custody of not so long ago.

Steve

peter_scott 24th Feb 2021 1:28 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panrock (Post 1345714)
Franklin Delano Roosevelt? You keep good company!
Steve

Despite being a fan I hadn't received a personal invitation. :(

Peter

Heatercathodeshort 24th Feb 2021 1:34 pm

2 Attachment(s)
A couple from my home. The 15" Ekco T196 has been in constant use for around 5 years without any faults. Like all Ekco models the preset controls including the line and frame hold controls have not needed attention. I think I have used it more than the original owner as it appeared to have had very little use since new.

The Ferranti 17T4 designed by [Hubert Wood] again has been used mainly during the summer months and has given no problems what so ever.

Regards, John.

PS Peter, Please dump them plarstick flarze...:D

stacman 24th Feb 2021 2:06 pm

John, What is the small portable in the second picture, on the floor in front of the long curtains?
Regards, Alan.

Panrock 24th Feb 2021 2:13 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Nice pics John. It must be difficult to pick when you have possibly hundreds of sets to choose from.

Here's a well-known showbiz family from 1938 or 9. Name the set.

Steve

stacman 24th Feb 2021 2:16 pm

Arthur Askey....?
Or from the ‘Fast Show’, Chester Drawers.....

peter_scott 24th Feb 2021 2:18 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort (Post 1345730)
PS Peter, Please dump them plarstick flarze...:D

Spoilsport! >((

Peter ;)

p.s. John'll never be able to name that set Steve.

Heatercathodeshort 24th Feb 2021 3:00 pm

1 Attachment(s)
7" Ekco 1938.TS901? Benny Hill with his 1951 Ekco T161. J.

Heatercathodeshort 24th Feb 2021 3:09 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stacman (Post 1345745)
John, What is the small portable in the second picture, on the floor in front of the long curtains?
Regards, Alan.

Hello Alan,
It's a Philips 11TG190AT the original Tvette from 1966. I have three of them and got them all working during the imprisonment. They give a startling picture. J.

Ian - G4JQT 24th Feb 2021 4:08 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Completely rebuilt and written up in the BVWS bulletin Autumn/Winter 2007.

Panrock 24th Feb 2021 4:11 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another, not-so-tranquil, home scene from around 1953. The gent with a pipe is about to throw a brick at the screen, which lies ready by the side of his armchair - so he must have already been expecting the trouble with interference. He also must have a lot of dough... CRTs were not cheap!

Steve

Radio Wrangler 24th Feb 2021 4:15 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_scott (Post 1345753)
p.s. John'll never be able to name that set Steve.

That's a kind quip. I was expecting someone to jump in and suggest he'd serviced it!

David

Panrock 24th Feb 2021 4:30 pm

Maybe there should be another thread devoted to the sets John has not serviced. But are there any?

Steve

Boulevardier 24th Feb 2021 4:30 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panrock (Post 1345828)
Here's another, not-so-tranquil, home scene from around 1953. The gent with a pipe is about to throw a brick at the screen, which lies ready by the side of his armchair - so he must have already been expecting the trouble with interference. He also must have a lot of dough... CRTs were not cheap!

Steve

Judging by the just-visible pair of legs at the right of the picture, his wife's already been on the receiving end of that brick. So the future prospects of the CRT don't look too bright...

Mike

Heatercathodeshort 24th Feb 2021 4:43 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panrock (Post 1345841)
Maybe there should be another thread devoted to the sets John has not serviced. But are there any?

Steve

Very many Steve but I seem to remember dropping the aerial lead down the chimney of Arthur Askey's all electric flat when I installed it in 1938...J.

peter_scott 24th Feb 2021 4:43 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panrock (Post 1345828)
He also must have a lot of dough... CRTs were not cheap!

Steve

Ah, but his action results in the destruction of the offending motor car outside his house that has no interference suppression.

Peter :)

peter_scott 24th Feb 2021 4:46 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort (Post 1345848)
I seem to remember dropping the aerial lead down the chimney of Arthur Askey's all electric flat when I installed it in 1938...J.

An aerial rigger reincarnated as a service engineer.

Peter ;)

Panrock 24th Feb 2021 4:52 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_scott (Post 1345849)
Ah, but his action results in the destruction of the offending motor car outside his house that has no interference suppression.
Peter :)

So with the wife having evidently copped it too - this is a case of killing not two, but three birds with the same stone. ;D

Steve

Niechcial,Steve 24th Feb 2021 5:47 pm

3 Attachment(s)
A picture of an early 50s Decca in the lounge (not the projection one) and Pye 838 pre-war radiogram in the dining room. Also picture of Pye test card. The Pye is the same year as the house .

Panrock 24th Feb 2021 6:56 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Niechcial,Steve (Post 1345881)
... and Pye 838 pre-war radiogram in the dining room. Also picture of Pye test card. The Pye is the same year as the house .

This is rare indeed! The screen in the Pye 838 cabinet looks intriguingly out-of-its-time somehow. That picture is very good, particularly if the works are original.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian - G4JQT (Post 1345826)
Completely rebuilt and written up in the BVWS bulletin Autumn/Winter 2007.

That's an exceptionally nice example of a TV22, Ian! The nearest I can get to the TV22 in a room setting is this scene taken of the Retrovisor in the Geffrye Museum in the '90s. The man in the white coat is Bryan Webb, much missed since having had a fatal accident a few years ago.

Steve

petertheorgan 24th Feb 2021 7:03 pm

whats Carol doing on the 838..........

bionicmerlin 24th Feb 2021 9:51 pm

2 Attachment(s)
A bit more modern but my Philips in the Dining room/ cats room

bionicmerlin 24th Feb 2021 9:58 pm

3 Attachment(s)
2nd living room I try to keep everything 1930s- 1970s
Showing my ITT/KB set

Niechcial,Steve 24th Feb 2021 10:18 pm

Yes the 838 has a particularly good tube. It's all original apart from the eht rectifier which is a silicon diode as the eht rec heater winding was breaking down (as they always do on that transformer)

beery 24th Feb 2021 11:11 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,
Well I'm not sure I can present a forward view of the lounge just yet with a four year old's detritus everywhere.

However you may be interested to see what has become my zoom background during lockdown!

Cheers
Andy

mark pirate 25th Feb 2021 8:24 am

Quote:

Here's a well-known showbiz family from 1938 or 9. Name the set.
Ekco TS701.

:beer:
Mark

mark pirate 25th Feb 2021 8:42 am

2 Attachment(s)
Despite having over 50 vintage sets, my Alba TR9874 from 1952/3 is my daily driver.

:beer:
Mark

Heatercathodeshort 25th Feb 2021 10:34 am

1 Attachment(s)
From a 1959 early stereo LP cover. RUSS CONWAY 'Family Favourites'
Columbia EMI.
The TV is an HMV [of course] model 1870. This is the HMV version of the Ferguson 406T. J.

beery 25th Feb 2021 10:44 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort (Post 1346085)
From a 1959 early stereo LP cover. RUSS CONWAY 'Family Favourites'
Columbia EMI.
The TV is an HMV [of course] model 1870. This is the HMV version of the Ferguson 406T. J.

Didn't he wear a dress? It's why he had to ride side saddle ;D

Panrock 25th Feb 2021 11:39 am

2 Attachment(s)
John's most recent image, with the set rather naughtily changed to a Bush TV85.

And a traditional family gathering around the new set.

Steve

peter_scott 25th Feb 2021 11:50 am

1 Attachment(s)
Not my family home but an uncle and aunt and my father holding his camera. My aunt receives the signal without a television set.

Peter

Panrock 25th Feb 2021 11:55 am

No fewer than two of those subjects are wearing headgear. And the female looks like she may be from Mars. :)

Steve

peter_scott 25th Feb 2021 12:31 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panrock (Post 1346119)
she may be from Mars. :)

Who needs Perseverance? :D

beery 25th Feb 2021 1:24 pm

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some more,
The first is an unknown rental set at my late Gran's house in Weymouth. The little girl is my cousin together with my Aunt. The extra legs belong to my Gran.

The second photo is at my parents' place in the mid 80's. Polly that Cat was trying to catch figure skaters on the CVC5.

The third photo is a little different. You can't see much of the room the set is in, but this giant Invicta was found squeezed into the lounge of a small London flat. This was pictured in 2001 when I helped Mikey to recover it.

Cheers
Andy

Welsh Anorak 25th Feb 2021 1:34 pm

The unknown rental set above looks very like a 24" Thorn 1400 in disguise.

peter_scott 25th Feb 2021 3:52 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a confessional photo taken in 1979 or 1980. The GEC 2028?? 22" set was the first colour TV I ever bought (from an ex-rental pile). That's not the embarrassment though. If you look to the right of it below the Christmas tree is the bottom half of an HMV 1808. When as a teenager I gave up trying to get it working I cut the top off and mounted a Collaro Studio tape deck on it making use of a bought in tape recorder amplifier and the original HMV speaker. I suppose there is one other slight confession; the TV stand is an upturned wooden stool of the boxy type with slot for a hand hold in the top.

We got our daughter indoctrinated with masculine toys from an early age but she still didn't turn into a technocrat.

Peter

Niechcial,Steve 25th Feb 2021 5:27 pm

1 Attachment(s)
This is in a spare bedroom. Inside the Bush exterior I have fitted the innards from a Thompson battery/mains colour portable plus a Goodman's digibox. The left hand knob is a hard on/off volume control. The right hand control is a rotary digiitisor with a push to make switch. In the neutral position it connects to the digibox 'channel up' switch, when you push it, it operates a relay which selects the 'channel down' . So I can control the basic functions of on/off, volume and channel change without resorting to the remote control- though that works as well. There is actually room in there for a 12v motor cycle battery so with the addition of a 3,3v, 5v and 12v regulators for the digibox, the whole thing could be mains/battery, but that is a step too far perhaps!
I would never resort to gutting a vintage tv to make this, but someone had already done it and was selling the case on Ebay. I suppose I am still accessory to the crime by buying it. In my defence I fitted everything with no mods to the original Bush case so it could always revert back to its former glory one day.

merlinmaxwell 25th Feb 2021 5:29 pm

Quote:

and my father holding his camera.
Bolex twin lens standard eight by the look of it.

peter_scott 25th Feb 2021 6:31 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell (Post 1346286)
Quote:

and my father holding his camera.
Bolex twin lens standard eight by the look of it.

Twin lens yes but Rolleiflex 2" square format rather than Bolex.

Peter

emeritus 25th Feb 2021 8:28 pm

3 Attachment(s)
I just had a look through my collection of early 1950's leaflets, but the only ones showing a TV in a room setting are these from 1952.

Nb I took the colour ones in landscape mode but they have ended up here in portrait for some reason and I can't get my phone to present them properly.

Panrock 26th Feb 2021 10:25 am

1 Attachment(s)
Across the pond now... to 1939 and the RCA TRK-5.

Someone mentioned to me that the type of chair shown here is also in fashion today.

Steve

peter_scott 26th Feb 2021 11:33 am

1 Attachment(s)
Staying with RCA but a TRK12. Not exactly a domestic environment but with people seated in front of it.

Peter

Panrock 26th Feb 2021 12:06 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Band I for hundreds of miles up there?

Staying in 1939, back to Blighty and this HMV. The 'coming season' was to hold a lot more than the introduction of more receivers into homes...

It often seems strange to me how 'modern' the immediate pre-war designs looked. This set could have been made any time up to about 1952. Though the pre-war sets were heavier to lug about.

Steve

HamishBoxer 26th Feb 2021 1:01 pm

Rolliflex 2.8 or 3.5 Planar I thought ?

peter_scott 26th Feb 2021 1:26 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamishBoxer (Post 1346607)
Rolliflex 2.8 or 3.5 Planar I thought ?

I can't remember but probably the 3.5.

P.

Panrock 26th Feb 2021 1:30 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Back to 1936 now, and this family have got in early, with a GEC in their library...

Steve

peter_scott 26th Feb 2021 1:37 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Critic Alan Hunter (below with his wife and dog) was very pleased with his HMV 901 in March 1938.

peter_scott 26th Feb 2021 2:12 pm

1 Attachment(s)
A Bush TV128 in the first flat that we bought in 1973. I think I pulled the set out of a skip. The stand it's sitting on was the base of a broken office chair.

Peter