UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Radio (domestic) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Hum on gram. Why? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=187588)

Gabe001 13th Jan 2022 12:02 am

Hum on gram. Why?

I have come across this quite a bit.

Radio on 'gram' input, wander plugs in the pickup sockets, and the radio hums. Connect your device eg a Bluetooth receiver, turn the Bluetooth receiver on, and the hum stops immediately. Same when I plug in my phone.

What causes this phenomenon?
Thanks
Gabriel

kalee20 13th Jan 2022 12:42 am

Re: Hum on gram. Why?

Hum pick-up with long wires, going to a high-impedance amplifier input?

And when power is switched on, for your Bluetooth adapter/phone/whatever, its output stage becomes active, goes low-impedance, and effectively shorts the hum pick-up out, at the remote end?

Gabe001 13th Jan 2022 1:10 pm

I think you're right. It's definitely made worse by plugging in the wiring.

McMurdo 13th Jan 2022 2:28 pm

perhaps a simple terminating resistor is all that's required between gram and earth sockets, something the bluetooth module is happy driving

agardiner 13th Jan 2022 2:35 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurdo (Post 1440414)
perhaps a simple terminating resistor is all that's required between gram and earth sockets, something the bluetooth module is happy driving

Yes. If the PU input is separate from the radio, (ie switched) then try something like a 220R resistor across the socket. Kills most of the hum and the low impedance bluetooth unit will not even notice it.

Gabe001 13th Jan 2022 8:42 pm

Across the socket meaning from signal to ground? Won't that end up in parallel with the grid leak resistor of the triode?

agardiner 13th Jan 2022 9:40 pm

Signal to ground yes, assuming of course that one part of the socket is grounded. There should be a capacitor in series with the signal path, so it shouldn't be in parallel with the grid. If there is a direct connection, then add such a capacitor. Anything between 10n and 100n will be fine.

Herald1360 13th Jan 2022 10:23 pm

Depending on the GRAM switching arrangements, a low impedance load on the GRAM input could upset the radio detector signal, capacitor or not.

Heatercathodeshort 14th Jan 2022 11:01 am

You mention that when wander plugs are connected you get a hum. Is the lead screened?
Is the lead just O/C at it's end, if not what have you got connected to it? Slightly confused. John.

McMurdo 14th Jan 2022 6:44 pm

I wouldn't have thought a resistor would upset the input any more than plugging an old pickup into it.

Herald1360 14th Jan 2022 7:23 pm

It wouldn't but leaving it plugged in when not in use, might, depending on whether the GRAM select switching isolates the PU input when radio is selected.

agardiner 14th Jan 2022 7:25 pm

I certainly haven't come across any issues, although it obviously could depend on the circuit. I would give it a try and see if things improve.

Gabe001 14th Jan 2022 8:36 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort (Post 1440590)
You mention that when wander plugs are connected you get a hum. Is the lead screened?
Is the lead just O/C at it's end, if not what have you got connected to it? Slightly confused. John.

For clarity:

Here a picture of the arrangement. The radio in this picture is a phonola (Italian Philips), just being used as an example. It's a little firecracker of a set with a pp el84 output stage and an ecc81 before that, and a seperate gram setting. From memory I think the gram input setting isolates the pickup from the rest of the radio

So the Bluetooth module is connected as per picture. With the Bluetooth module switched off, there's a lot of hum
Turning it on completely stops the hum. The project box by the way just contains 2 summing resistors to convert stereo to mono.

It's not a major problem as the pickup by definition need something connected to it and switched on to play through it, I was just curious about the mechanism. As others have said, it's probably just rubbish being picked up by the cabling which gets shorted out when the module is turned on. I'm sure the resistor mentioned will sort it too.

G

kalee20 15th Jan 2022 1:24 am

If there is a proper 'gram' position on a switch, it should be OK.

Quite a few radios had pick-up input sockets and no switching, the signal was fed crudely to the diode detector circuit so you had to tune to a quiet bit of the dial... and the detected AF appeared on the pick-up sockets when a station was received. Shorting the sockets, or putting a low-impedance load there, would have clobbered the radio signal.

Heatercathodeshort 15th Jan 2022 11:07 am

The leads connected to the radio do not appear to be screened and this may well be the reason you are picking up hum etc. The pick up terminals have a relatively high impedance. You can test this by wrapping foil around the leads and that connector and earthing it to the radio chassis. John.