UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Clubs, Groups and Societies (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Radiophile Auction 18th November (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=153298)

GrahamN 13th Nov 2018 1:56 pm

Radiophile Auction 18th November

Just a quick reminder that the Radiophile auction at Gnosall on 18th November is going ahead as usual.

Subscribers to the catalogue should have received them by now.

Graham

M6SPW1974 14th Nov 2018 2:38 am

Re: Radiophile Auction 18th November

Hi Graham, i received the email, just no PDF catalogue attached to it pal.

Regards,Shaun.

GrahamN 14th Nov 2018 8:52 am

Re-sent.

M6SPW1974 14th Nov 2018 2:42 pm

Got it now Graham,cheers :thumbsup:

YoungManGW 16th Nov 2018 3:05 pm

Can anyone in receipt of the catalogue tell me, please, whether there are any Bakelite Ekcos in the auction? Many thanks.
Regards,
Richard

GrahamN 16th Nov 2018 3:13 pm

The only Ekcos listed are:

U122
1950's radio (model number not specified)
U245
A49 - (1949) g.w.o. immaculate

There are some TBA items in the catalogue - I have no idea what they are likely to be.

Graham

YoungManGW 16th Nov 2018 3:18 pm

Thanks Graham - that's very helpful.
Regards,
Richard

AD360 Rob 16th Nov 2018 11:10 pm

There will also be an Ekco U199 and a U319 which are part of the TBA section (I'm bringing them first thing Sunday morning)

Rob

G4XWDJim 17th Nov 2018 10:03 am

Good idea.

This pre-advertising by members here of their own equipment prior to the auction is very useful for those others who don’t receive a catalogue and could help them make the decision of whether to visit.

I don’t go so it’s purely academic to me so spoken only as a spectator.

Jim

YoungManGW 17th Nov 2018 2:20 pm

Jim, I agree entirely. Unless there are potentially interesting Bakelite Ekcos there I don't bother to go, much as I enjoy the weird atmosphere of the auction.
Regards,
Richard

John KC0G 22nd Nov 2018 5:15 pm

It is good to see that the next one is planned for 27 January 2019 at Gnosall

stevehertz 22nd Nov 2018 7:19 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoungManGW (Post 1093096)
Jim, I agree entirely. Unless there are potentially interesting Bakelite Ekcos there I don't bother to go, much as I enjoy the weird atmosphere of the auction.

Lol, what's weird about it?!

YoungManGW 22nd Nov 2018 10:20 pm

What's weird about it? Seriously?

The tut-tutting over those buying trays of valves, as though selling items isn't the point of an auction.

The fat bottoms on little round stools, which bring out the Beryl Cook in my partner, who loves to draw the punters.

The mild Fred Karno-ism of auctioneer, catalogue, and helpers holding up the items, being out of sync. with each other.

The temper tantrums that erupt from time to time.

The grumbling over who's parked where.

It's an absolute delight! I love it! ;D

Regards,
Richard

dave walsh 23rd Nov 2018 1:41 am

Weird is probably the wrong term but Young Man is right, it boils down to simple human behaviour. That's how the Auction Industry works! As David Attenborough pointed out recently, we haven't changed much in 40,000 years :(. The apes they filmed looked just like the ones in 2001 A Space Odyssey in 1968 [great acting there by the way!] It's otherwise perfectly normal individuals getting carried away by being invited to compete with each other. We all do it-you watch the tea time programs after all 8-\ It's related to gambling for which some person has just paid paid herself £260 million while supporting charities for victims. Apparently 2-4 year olds are now depressed??? It would be hard to make it all up :shrug: See last nights Question Time re betting stakes!

Dave W