UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Bush Moulded Plug ? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=141983)

nigelr2000 6th Dec 2017 4:55 pm

Bush Moulded Plug ?

2 Attachment(s)
I started on an SP25 Mk III this afternoon and was surprised to see a moulded round pin plug on it. It has the bush logo as does the wooden panel on the bottom of the deck, well bush rank actually, Do you think it's original ? I have never seen a moulded 5 amp round before and that must have meant stocking 2 sorts of decks one round pin one square. Your thoughts are welcomed.

paulsherwin 6th Dec 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Bush Moulded Plug ?

I've never seen one either. It certainly looks original.

Rubberfingers 6th Dec 2017 5:39 pm

In this country, the red/black/green wires would mean it was manufactured/sold before July 1970. I'm wondering whether this was aimed at another market, such as one of our "ex empire" countries that adopted our round pin plug system, such as India for example. No mention of BS546 on the plug either.

nigelr2000 6th Dec 2017 5:48 pm

Just had an idea, didn't the Bush Arena amp have round sockets on the back like Leak had yank outlets for other gear, it would be around the same period and would make sense.

Herald1360 6th Dec 2017 7:20 pm

Was (is?) the SP25 part of a Bush system? It wouldn't make any sense at all to fit a Bush plug as OE on a Garrard unit.

nigelr2000 6th Dec 2017 8:54 pm

The bottom wooden cover is branded Bush Rank with the rank logo so I assume it was part of a system. The 2025 in an SRP52 is branded made for bush by garrard so it was probably something similar.

Boater Sam 7th Dec 2017 1:46 am

Polindu, as on the plug is a region of Sulawesi, Indonesia. A red herring?

Brigham 7th Dec 2017 9:51 am

Indonesia uses French type 2-pin or Shuko types.
India uses the BS 5-amp 3-pin. Otherwise, it could be for internal use, as suggested by Nigel (above), except that internal power connections don't normally carry earth links.

kalee20 7th Dec 2017 10:02 am

It's chunky flex, too!

Is it in fact a 5A plug, or is it 15A? If the latter, the flex and lead may have come from theatre lighting equipment (Rank were quite big in this market) and been repurposed. It's just a vague thought, and I expect this will be shot down!

Boater Sam 7th Dec 2017 10:31 am

True, or increasingly BS1362 13A plugs. Sensible folk.
But what did they use before? It was a Dutch colony.
Polinou, if that is the spelling, not Polindu, is a musician, not as old as the plug!

Ah. Now, Pol Lindu, also Polindu is an Indian address. so I would think that's it.

winston_1 7th Dec 2017 1:28 pm

I've seen moulded 3 pin 5 amp plugs in Hong Kong. Not recently though as they are now increasingly using 13 amp types.

Boater Sam 7th Dec 2017 2:56 pm

So is it a lead off a Bush export something to India or elsewhere east that has found its way back and been reused on an SP25 deck?

What did Bush export? To where? When did they ever make moulded on plugs, and why?

nigelr2000 7th Dec 2017 3:50 pm

2 Attachment(s)
2 more pics to add to the mix one of the internal deck label and one of the external lower cover. I love the bit "manufactured by a company"

Boater Sam 7th Dec 2017 4:05 pm

A Bush, Rank Organisation, record player model MRP 392 assembled in India by "a company" using an SP25 deck, no cartridge fitted, using a moulded mains lead assembly, of Bush manufacture? Or is the whole thing a copy?

Any details on the MRP 392 player? Murphy Record Player 392?

Boater Sam 9th Dec 2017 7:58 am

Did some digging......

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...gwJpaiFqFfi1JX

Scroll down to Uni con

Read the text on the right, Everlite and Polindu plugs seem to be made by Uno Electricals Pvt Ltd, but they do not appear to have a web site and further links are unproductive......

Any points?
I got some help too.
Sam

nigelr2000 10th Jan 2018 6:09 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Solved I knew I had seen a 5 amp socket on an amplifier, I sold one a few years ago so searched my item database on turbo lister and it turned up to be an A746, can't extract my pictures but a quick google found one up for sale but no pics of the rear here are mine hope they are viewable

Brigham 11th Jan 2018 1:44 pm

I'm inclined towards thinking those are a modification.
The sort I would do!

nigelr2000 11th Jan 2018 4:04 pm

Nope found one online for sale and it also round sockets so must be original. No it's not my original one as it's in much better nick, also has original instruction manual.
link here

https://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/bu...capped/9080142

Brigham 11th Jan 2018 7:47 pm

WOW!
I'm impressed!

unitaudio 5th Jun 2018 12:51 am

I've got a 1967 Ferguson 205STA stereo receiver with 2 of those sockets on the back with plugs already in them. I think the plugs were probably supplied with the receiver when new. When I was using the receiver 20-odd years ago (where does the time go?) I used one to power the Garrard SP25 I had hooked up to it. I think I used the switched socket (one of them was switched by the on/off switch on the receiver, one was permanently live). Never seen these plugs and sockets on any other amp I've owned.

Regards,
Paul