UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Wolf Soldering Iron (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=161955)

Neil Purling 6th Dec 2019 1:16 am

Wolf Soldering Iron

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone recognise the model of Wolf Soldering iron that this is?
There was a little plate on the other side of the handle that probably gave the model number, but it fell off & was lost years ago. I have no idea how old this thing is or its wattage.
It is great if you need to put a lot of heat onto one spot in valve radio work.

Dave Moll 6th Dec 2019 9:02 am

Re: Wolf Soldering Iron

1 Attachment(s)
I do indeed recognise the same soldering iron that I bought in my teens (see below). Unfortunately, both the indentations that would have contained labels are now empty so I can't help with model number, but I do know that it is rated at 60W.

As my teens were in the region of fifty years ago, that gives a rough idea of the age of mine.

By the way, the clip for hanging it up was my own addition back then and started off as the bracket for securing an electrolytic capacitor.

Neil Purling 6th Dec 2019 9:58 am

A great iron for soldering grounding tags to a chassis.
The missing tag would have had the wattage & model. Wolf 21A maybe?
I was thinking of finding a really poor one and getting it purely for a replacement tip.

Herald1360 6th Dec 2019 11:40 am

Quick check for unknown wattage- let it heat up, then pull the plug and quickly measure L-N resistance. Then do the sums.

Cold resistance would likely be close, but not quite.

Or use one of those plug in power monitors. 8-)

John M0GLN 6th Dec 2019 11:50 am

1 Attachment(s)
This is from the 1971/72 Buck & Hickman catalogue.
John

Dave Moll 6th Dec 2019 1:36 pm

Thanks John. The 21 looks about right.

Tractorfan 6th Dec 2019 3:04 pm

Hi,
I've just had a look at my Wolf iron that was bought for a quid on a flea market a few years ago and, (surprise surprise), the rating label is missing!
It must have vanished fairly recently as I know it was made for a 50 volts supply.
It has a suitably marked 5 amp round pin plug, and I have to remember to set the Variac accordingly.
It's got quite a hefty bit, so I imagine that it's around 50 watts.
Cheers, Pete.

Neil Purling 6th Dec 2019 4:57 pm

Definitely a Wolf 21 then.

G6Tanuki 6th Dec 2019 5:38 pm

I had one of those in the 70s though mine had a separate bit that screwed into the element-barrel and was held with a locknut.

This was its undoing - the bit seized into the element-barrel and snapped off when I tried to remove it. My attempt to drill out the remains was rather unsuccessful.

BTW the 50-volt iron is probably ex-GPO-Telephones, 48V being the standard supply in telephone exchanges.