UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Clubs, Groups and Societies (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   New BVWS DVD (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7668)

Brased 23rd Feb 2006 3:34 pm

New BVWS DVD

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Stenning
There should also be a mailing with membership cards and the latest DVD soon.

Arrived safely today. Interesting DVD with three films. My thanks to those who have produced such a professional result.

Edward

ppppenguin 23rd Feb 2006 3:44 pm

Re: Bulletin

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brased
Interesting DVD with three films

I've watched the Mullard CRT making film. There's an awful lot of manual handling of the tubes. I wonder what an equivalent modern CRT plant looks like, assuming they haven't all closed down by now.

A nice companion to that film would have been "It's the tube that makes the colour", one of the BBC2 trade test films. It didn't go into the same level of detail.

Steve_P 23rd Feb 2006 4:47 pm

If you want trade test films, try The Test Card Circle.

www.testcardcircle.org.uk is the address.

Cheers,

Steve P.

Paul Stenning 23rd Feb 2006 7:53 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brased
My thanks to those who have produced such a professional result.

A lot of the credit has to go to Jon Evans who did all the transfers and DVD authoring.

Paul Stenning 23rd Feb 2006 8:04 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppppenguin
There's an awful lot of manual handling of the tubes.

How many of us would grap and almost throw around a CRT by its neck like that.... :o

G0PKH - Pete 23rd Feb 2006 8:09 pm

Re: New BVWS DVD

I have just watched those 3 films, and thoroughly enjoyed them.
Well done to all those involved.

The Mullard film regarding tube manufacture was really fascinating, considering those were just monchrome tubes. It would be interesting to see the differences in the manufacture of the first delta gun colour tubes. Particularly the screen laying techniques.

Pete

Richard 23rd Feb 2006 10:35 pm

Hi

Great work, well done to all involved.

Richard.

Sean Williams 23rd Feb 2006 11:47 pm

A most enjoyable DVD - Jon needs a medal!

Cheers
Sean

tvden 24th Feb 2006 12:10 am

well done Jon a most enjoyable DVD we could do with many more like this:thumbsup:

Danny 24th Feb 2006 12:54 am

I must sat thanks for the dvd and it stopped me at work this afternoon i
hadnt spoted it this morning when it arived or i wouldnt have got much done !. i to was amazed at the way thay handled the tubes by the neck
as i have never treated tubes without causion i wish tubes were still this size i had huge pana beast to change last week i nearly bust my back.
well i shall have to get a gec of the same model as the one being manufactured in the dvd now. Nice one and thanks all involved from Danny:thumbsup:

newlite4 24th Feb 2006 10:22 am

What a brilliant DVD, nice one Jon :). The film of the 'Rank Bush Murphy' works had a fitting climax with the TR82 being unwrapped on Xmas morning. I am sure that this tradition still goes on today - albeit with a TR82-97 :D.
Neil

ppppenguin 24th Feb 2006 10:59 am

Some great films. Thanks to Jon.

I realise that the picture quality is limited by the originals that are available - the BVWS certainly doesn't have funds for Hollywood style restoration. What sort of masters were available? Looks like some (all 3?) were on videotape of some kind rather than "hold it up to the light" film.

Duke_Nukem 24th Feb 2006 12:12 pm

Unfortunately didn't have access to the original films in which case the quality could have been a lot better. It came via S-VHS but the sound level was very low ... one of the track's volumes had to be cranked up 1400% !!!

TTFN,
Jon

ppppenguin 24th Feb 2006 12:26 pm

I thought the sound was generally OK. Optical "academy" sound tracks were never particularly marvellous. I suppose one problem with the picture is that the random noise and crud uses a lot of the bit budget in a compressed system such as DVD. This can make the compression artefacts more visible.

Any interest in a film about the EMI 2001 colour camera? must have been made in about 1967. I think I've got a copy on ordinary VHS but might be able to track down the C format tape that was professionally TK'ed from the film.

Duke_Nukem 24th Feb 2006 2:16 pm

I can only handle S-VHS, VHS and Beetmax at present.

The ideal solution would be to get at the signal that would have gone into the video recorder and stuff it up a canopus DV box directly.

How techy colour camera film ?

TTFN,
Jon

ppppenguin 24th Feb 2006 2:37 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke_Nukem
How techy colour camera film ?

Honestly can't remember. Haven't looked at it for over 15 years. Hope I can find it! Suspect it's a sort of technical publicity film to sing the praises of their (then) new camera.

Aerodyne 24th Feb 2006 8:12 pm

My copy came today. Very entertaining. I particularly enjoyed seeing the Mullard film, having often wondered how they applied the inner dag coating (extremely long brush, by the looks of it!) Many thanks to all for the efforts, much appreciated, esp. Jon.
I wonder what audience these were made for originally. They are advertising films, of course, extolling the virtues of the respective companies - but where would they have been shown? They are not especially technical, like the Mullard instructional films were.
On a slightly different topic - hopefully not far off the beam (crt - get it? sorry) in the distant days of my teaching I often borrowed films from the likes of Shell and BP among others. I showed films like 'The Small Propellor' , 'Crown of Glass' and the one about an old car (can't remember the title). These and others like them were transmitted between bouts of test card in the early colour TV days. For those into nostalgia, they might make a good if non-technical subject for a future DVD, as would the old early 1950s BBC publicity film featuring Sylvia Peters that was shown every moring between test card runs.
Enough of this prattle;D
-Tony

Courtney Louise 24th Feb 2006 9:16 pm

Please dont flame me for asking this but...

Is there any way of buying one of these DVD's as I am not yet a member of the BVWS, or if I started a membership soon would I be able to get one?

Regards

Andi

Panrock 24th Feb 2006 11:12 pm

Great films ! A big thanks to Jon and the BVWS. :thumbsup:

Anybody know the name of the music heard at the top and tail of 'Television Production 1960' ? I'd love to get hold of the whole track.

Steve

Alvin 25th Feb 2006 1:42 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by newlite4
The film of the 'Rank Bush Murphy' works had a fitting climax with the TR82 being unwrapped on Xmas morning.

It was her birthday present - the clue is in the music tinkling in the background <grin>

Alvin