UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Forum Announcements and Comments (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Image rotation when uploading (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=131608)

Paul Stenning 24th Nov 2016 7:28 pm

Image rotation when uploading

I have just made a change to the image upload code to read the EXIF orientation data from images and rotate them accordingly before resizing them.

This should mean no more photos appearing with the wrong rotation when uploaded as attachments or in albums etc.

If you have had this problem before please upload the offending images again (if you have them) in this thread as a test. Obviously it needs to be the original ones from your phone or camera, not edited ones.

It would be interesting to see how well or otherwise this works, as the amount of testing I could do is limited.

thermionic 24th Nov 2016 7:40 pm

Re: Image rotation when uploading

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Paul.

I'll upload a couple of images of the 'Genalex' electric clock that I posted in November 2014 that rotated during upload.

Let's see what happens.

Well, that worked fine!

Paul Stenning 25th Nov 2016 12:42 am

It seems to have added black to the right side so may need more tweaking. I will have a further look in the next couple of days to sort that.

Paul Stenning 25th Nov 2016 9:38 am

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you to Simon (thermionic) for emailing me the offending images. I think it is now sorted.

Note that it will only correct the rotation of images if they are large enough to require resizing anyway, however as images from almost any smartphone or digital camera will be over that limit so this shouldn't be an issue.

Let's see how it works over the next few days.

Nymrod121 25th Nov 2016 5:36 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, let's try this one (previously uploaded to the FSoW thread 15/11/16) ....

Nymrod121 25th Nov 2016 5:37 pm

Yep - worked just fine.
Nice one, Paul ... thank you! :thumbsup:

Guest 25th Nov 2016 7:21 pm

One thing I would like is a bit more resolution for images, so often a printed page posted is unreadable, it is usually possible to de cypher it, but that's no fun.

Paul Stenning 25th Nov 2016 9:19 pm

For things like diagrams and documents it is best to store them full size image in a ZIP file, or create a PDF file. There is a higher maximum file size limit and no automatic resizing.

I don't want to increase the maximum size for images due to the amount of disk space having almost every image attachment larger would take up.

Nuvistor 25th Nov 2016 9:48 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Not Radio related but try as a test.
Frank
That works ok, delete this post if you wish, just wanted to test.

Dave Moll 25th Nov 2016 9:54 pm

It may not be related to vintage tech, but does shift the balance a little from the usual feline fare. ;)

Herald1360 26th Nov 2016 12:28 pm

:thumbsup:;D:wave:

Paul Stenning 26th Nov 2016 9:33 pm

I'll leave this thread open for a few more days, but just for people to report any problems with this change now please.

If you do have problems I will probably PM you and ask you to email me the offending image(s) to test with.