UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Television and Video (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Identify Resistor (Dansai portable) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=165052)

IKC2E51R8 23rd Mar 2020 8:41 pm

Identify Resistor (Dansai portable)

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone

Can someone help me identify the value of this resistor.

Its part of the Vertical Circut in my Dansai 9313A. Lost Vertical Deflection and this resistor is on the Vertical output of the Vertical IC (which was also cooked) and replaced.

I need to replace this in an attempt to restore vertical deflection but Im getting stuck with the value and this Chassis is kinda strange in that there seems to be many variations of it so finding a service manul with parts list is next to impossible.

Colours look to be RED RED GOLD GOLD BLUE

Appreciate any help

peter_scott 23rd Mar 2020 8:50 pm

Re: Identify Resistor

I think the gold third band indicates x0.1 so I guess 2.2 ohms. 5% tolerance, Temp coefficient 10 ppm/C

Peter

high_vacuum_house 23rd Mar 2020 8:52 pm

Good evening,
Not sure of the value though it Looks like a fusible resistor rather than a standard resistor. It is designed to fail open circuit in the event of an overload without generating too much heat and causing a fire risk in the process.

Christopher Capener

David G4EBT 23rd Mar 2020 9:06 pm

I stand to be corrected, but it looks a bit like a 1 Watt 2R2 Ohmmetal film resistor to me.

Red, red = 22, first gold band is the multiplier, which is 0.1, so that make it 2R2 Ohms.

Second gold band is the tolerance, for which gold is 5%. (strangely enough!).

See:

https://www.google.com/search?q=resi...wY-yzF5-JptLM:

Hope that helps.

IKC2E51R8 23rd Mar 2020 11:05 pm

Thanks Everyone, found a spare and replaced it still no vertical. The investigation continues....

its ur aerial 28th Mar 2020 4:40 pm

I would also go with the 2.2 ohms Fusible resi opinion.
Ken G6HZG

Refugee 28th Mar 2020 5:01 pm

In the first photo it looks like there is some of that brown poison on the board.
It will need to be cleaned off and any components it has come into contact with replaced or at least thoroughly tested.
Both of those caps will have to come off and be cleaned at least.

JonSnell 4th Apr 2020 9:50 am

Check you have supply on pin7 and frame pulses on pin4.
Output pulses on pin2 and the 2R2 resistor is on the return from the vertical deflection coil. My schematic is so poor, I cannot make out the ID number. R409? 2R2 1W fire proof.

Don't forget to replace the coupling, boot strap and decoupling electrolytics on that stage!

Sideband 4th Apr 2020 4:52 pm

Don't know the set but it probably follows normal conventions. As suggested above by Jon, change those suggested capacitors.....any of those drying out will contribute to the chips demise. The supply to pin 7 is probably fed via a low value fusible resistor which will likely have failed and while you're at it, check the diode that feeds the supply to pin 7 via the fusible.

IKC2E51R8 12th Apr 2020 4:04 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all

Have taken a break from my Philips set im working on and gone back to my very first TV of my own, my little portable Dansai.

So I havnt changed any of the electrolytics yet cause I wanted to find that fuseable resisitor that caused the vertical collapse. Found it, R408, comes off Pin 5 of the Flyback, a little 68ohm fuseable was open. Replaced and vertical is mostly back, I have the same issue here that I had with my Sharp 8PSR set a few weeks ago, vertical foldover, the solution on the sharp was a Diode gone bad beside the bootstrap cap, im thinking its a similar situation with this