UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Dansette Bermuda Question (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=165046)

FrankSinatra 23rd Mar 2020 1:27 pm

Dansette Bermuda Question

3 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

I received a Dansette Bermuda by courier last week I bought and have been pleased so far up to a point.

Since I ran a 78 on it, using correct stylus, the deck seems to be dropping out from the needle on occasion? Also seems a crackle that wasn't there initially when playing.

A hair's breadth nudge of deck on the right corner pushing slightly upwards and to the left corrects the full volume and maybe the crackle though hard to determine.

I'm a complete novice but feels like the deck isn't suspended properly, maybe moved in transit?

Photos attached,

Nuvistor 23rd Mar 2020 1:39 pm

Re: Dansette Bermuda Question

Possible bad connection on the cartridge or under the deck.
That cartridge appears to be a stereo one but with only one side connected. It could have connections that I can’t see in the photos though. It won’t be the fault but if only one channel is connected it needs sorting out when you have fixed the intermittent fault.

FrankSinatra 23rd Mar 2020 1:59 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for replying, see further photo, should these other two wires be connected?

ms660 23rd Mar 2020 2:21 pm

I wonder if the PU arm lifter pin is sticking.

Lawrence.

astro63 23rd Mar 2020 2:34 pm

Judging by the cabinet Rexine it looks like it's been restored-refurbished, if the seller sold to you as refurbished I'd be inclined to contact them first before you start pulling the player about to get inside.

Station X 23rd Mar 2020 2:37 pm

Have both transit screws been screwed fully IN? I can only see one of them in the picture.

FrankSinatra 23rd Mar 2020 2:42 pm

Yes it was refurbished, I've emailed the seller yesterday but no response yet so thought I would ask here.

Yes both screws fully in

Worked well initially noticed a drop in contact after playing a 78 on auto, felt like the heavier drop on the 78 did something?

Edward Huggins 23rd Mar 2020 2:49 pm

Is can't see that BSR cartridge well enough. The type of stylus fitted suggests this may be a full stereo cartridge. If so, it will have 4 connecting pins, then all 4 connectors need to used. The Yellow goes to LH + and Blue to LH -, you will see the legends for these on the cartridge body. If there are only 2 pins on the cartridge, then leave as is. Are those Blue and Yellow leads loose and fouling the surface of the record? When you flipped back from 78 to LPS, did the metal stylus shank seat properly into its "V" shaped mount?

BRASSBITS 23rd Mar 2020 3:00 pm

Check to make sure the stylus shank is sat in the rubber vee block.

FrankSinatra 23rd Mar 2020 3:29 pm

The cartridge has 4 pins but only black and red wires connected, I should attach the yellow and blue then if I understand it?

Any ideas why they may have not been connected when it was sent to me?

Thanks for your help all,

FrankSinatra 23rd Mar 2020 3:57 pm

Quote:

THIS IS FITTED WITH A NOS BSR SX6H CARTRIDGE AND A NOS ST14 45/LP / 78 TURN OVER STYLIS
This was on the advert

Nuvistor 23rd Mar 2020 3:57 pm

Are you sure there are no wires directly between the pins?
Connecting the yellow and blue wires may not be enough, depends on the wiring under the deck.
So you have one definite and one possible fault.
Check the seating of the stylus as was suggested for the fault.

I would not go further until you have contact with the seller. If you start to take it apart they may not want further involvement.

ajgriff 23rd Mar 2020 4:38 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuvistor (Post 1227774)
I would not go further until you have contact with the seller. If you start to take it apart they may not want further involvement.

Just to reinforce Frank's point, in terms of protecting your interests as the buyer and in fairness to the seller you would be well advised to pursue this to a conclusion through the usual channels before attempting any remedial action. I'm assuming that a not inconsiderable sum of money was involved in the transaction.

Alan

FrankSinatra 23rd Mar 2020 4:52 pm

Thanks for the help, be good to have some informed Knowledge to challenge with though if I can.

The black connector onto the cartridge seems very loose, it almost comes off with gravity? Looking inside the plastic connector, looks like filled with solder and not a proper connector? Sorry not a technical person.

Herald1360 23rd Mar 2020 5:53 pm

That could explain the problem- possibly the extra vibration from playing a 78 has simply shaken the (already dodgy) black connection loose.

One (plausible) way of connecting a stereo cartridge in this mono machine is to link the right and left channel output pins at the cartridge with some judiciously wrapped fine tinned copper wire and simply take the combined signal on just the red and black wires connected to one channel's pins. This may lead to later problems though since you shouldn't solder any wires to the cartridge pins and mechanical wraps can oxidise with time. A better way to do it is to connect all 4 wires to the cartridge with the correct push on tags and do the channel linking at the tagstrip inside the machine on the underside of the deck, but this does require a bit more effort and time of any restorer looking to make a living! Similarly, the tags from the other two wires could be cut off with short tails which are then soldered in parallel to the red/black wire tags so that the paralleling up can be done reliably at the cartridge but this is perhaps even more time consuming than lifting the deck and linking underneath....

FrankSinatra 23rd Mar 2020 6:06 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Not going to attempt too much until I hear from the seller.

As an example see attached, a piece of tissue lightly under one end of the deck and no problems perfect sound.

Without this sound drops out or is crackly.

Edward Huggins 23rd Mar 2020 6:10 pm

Without wishing to add to your problems, but that BSR SX6H cartridge is not ideal for your Dansette as it is a medium-output cartridge. This means that on some LP records you may need to use your player at full volume. You should get an adequate enough output on 45s and 78s. You may be content with this, but if you do enter into a dispute/return with the Seller, do bear this in mind.

Station X 23rd Mar 2020 6:46 pm

Possibly nothing to do with the fault, but it you push down on each transit screw in turn can you feel the spring, which fits round the transit screw, being compressed?

FrankSinatra 23rd Mar 2020 7:32 pm

Yes I can feel the spring compress underneath both of them.

Edward Huggins 23rd Mar 2020 7:35 pm

The photo in Post #6 clearly suggests that the deck plate is fouling the motor board and the tissue is helping to isolate it.