UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Forum Announcements and Comments (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Thanks Thread (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60832)

Skywave 15th Feb 2017 3:25 pm

Re: The Thanks Thread

My sincere thanks to m0cemdave for the PTFE feed-throughs which arrived today, Feb. 15th. :clap: Hopefully, one day I can repay your generosity.

Al.

Skywave 18th Feb 2017 12:08 am

My grateful thanks to Symon, Philips20, for the gratis BFR96 transistors. There were a real help in resolving a question about defective / fake / mis-labelled transistors.

Al.

G4_Pete 20th Feb 2017 10:52 am

I have followed some of the debates recently on advice to newcomers on this board. Whilst I cannot claim to be a "newbie" ,having worked in and around industrial electronics most of my life, I had not restored domestic radios until after joining this forum in early 2014.

As a way of thanks and to give feedback I have listed all the things I have learnt, or re-learnt, that have specifically helped me restore various radios over the last few years.

In the order they come to mind without elaborating on the detail or persons that gave the advice they include:

1. Take time to build a frame to hold a chassis upside down when working on it.
2. Capacitor reforming and why you do not apply mains power to an old set to "see if it works"
3. Lamp limiters – When to use of and construction of.
4. IF Transformers - Do Not Touch
5. VHF Discriminators NEVER Touch.
6. Alignment of above can be done but needs test equipment and specific procedures.
7. Voltages on service sheets are a guide and may have been modified by meter loading. ( Ohms per volt loading)
8. Replacing components – It is ok to snip and join rather than try to unravel delicate valve base tags.
9. Capacitive droppers for heaters.
10. Fake/sub standard Components - 2N3055's in particular.
11. Live chassis sets precautions /repair implications and why they were designed with no protruding screws on the knobs.
12. Leaky capacitors and in particular Triode anode to Pentode grid coupling in audio output stages.
13. Leaky switch wafers bleeding HT into AGC lines - probably would never have found that on my own!
14. Plus all the bits that I have generously been given or purchased at reasonable prices.

So thank you to all for advice and comments which have enhanced my knowledge and enabled me to confidently switch on my radios knowing they will perform fairly closly to how they did when new.

Pete

Tyso_Bl 24th Feb 2017 9:47 pm

Thank you to Pete G4AAW for the set of B40 coils he sent me so that I can experiment with coverage modification without desttroying the radio.

T

AC/HL 25th Feb 2017 3:10 am

Also to Pete G4AAW for the Patchett radio servicing book, amongst a selection recently offered.

Phil G4SPZ 3rd Mar 2017 12:10 pm

Grateful thanks to my generous friend Jim Medley for the Avo 8 and Megger, both in good working order. Jim also covered the cost of delivery by courier. Top man! The next lunch is definitely on me :wave:

Nymrod121 3rd Mar 2017 12:41 pm

Many thanks to Hugh (Stockden) for sending the 7xxx bezel for my 7613. The standard of packaging was first-class ... without doubt, a lot of thought and care was put into this :clap:
Cheers
Guy

HamishBoxer 11th Mar 2017 6:45 pm

Thank you to MerlinMaxwell for the cable,this will be ideal for my long 160M dipole.

Very kind indeed.

David

G4XWDJim 13th Mar 2017 1:30 pm

Thank you to Ray (Bigclick) for the gift of the guitar amplifier cabinet, a welcoming cup of tea and an interesting chat.

Jim

HamishBoxer 13th Mar 2017 4:27 pm

Many thanks to JoshWard for the Sony aerial. I have only ever seen pictures prior to arrival.

Regards, David.

Nymrod121 14th Mar 2017 11:44 am

Many thanks to Nick (Nickthedentist) for sending me a TP-Link Load Balancing Router. This is scheduled for experimentation in combining 4G with cable services (Three/VirginMedia respectively). I've been impressed by 4G performance, especially the upload speeds ... these are incredibly quick (typically 18-28Mbps) ... however if one goes over the data limit (PAYG) the costs are eye-watering. Lots to investigate! Cheers Nick :thumbsup:
Guy

vinylspinner 26th Mar 2017 12:59 pm

A very big thank you to terrybull for selling me the immaculate Project turntable
and for his help with the delivery side of things.

Thank you Terry.

Nigel

eddie_ce 27th Mar 2017 4:22 pm

Many thanks to Peter Monro for the very comprehensive AVO8 manual. It is much appreciated.

paolo 29th Mar 2017 1:27 pm

Just a quick note of thanks to Timtape for his great work to keep my Revox PR99 and B77's in tip top shape. He's saved me from tearing my hair out and filling my swear jar up! Thanks Tim :D

Paul

electronicskip 30th Mar 2017 6:47 pm

Thank you to Greg_Simons for the Marconi radio for restoration.
I'm going to do my very best to bring it back to life.

Herald1360 9th Apr 2017 11:46 pm

Thanks to Rob (Whiskas) for the nice boxed set of Dremel type tools.

His packaging was a work of art in itself!

Reelman 24th Apr 2017 9:09 pm

Many thanks to Dave, Dazzlevision for the information on the Philips 22EN9728. Also found Tony Duell's page on it that shows a picture. Great, thanks!
Peter

VT FUSE 30th Apr 2017 3:07 pm

A MASSIVE thank you to Jim,G4XWDjim for so very kindly organising the "Grand Garage Giveaway" today at his home prior to his forthcoming move.
To say that I now have many of the parts needed to complete my H.F Linear amp and sundry Antenna matchers would only be a start,also parts missing from WW2 eqpt. in abundance.
Thanks due also for the "Half time cup of Tea"-Lovely.

Very best wishes in your new home and best wishes for both of you in the future.

Mike

Ed_Dinning 30th Apr 2017 7:50 pm

Many thanks to Rob 672 for donating a very good condition Avo CT38, it is now "paired " with my unit awaiting meter etc transplants.
Nice to meet you and your wife on Friday evening, I trust the rest of the journey was not too horrendous.

Ed

Skywave 1st May 2017 9:23 am

My thanks to Happy to help for the assortment of audio equipment, received April 30th.

Al. / Skywave / May 1st. //

Skywave 1st May 2017 12:43 pm

My thanks go to Herald 1360 for the transport of a cassette tape deck from Crewe to Cheltenham.

Al. / May 1st.

eddie_ce 2nd May 2017 6:39 pm

Many thanks to Rob (Whiskas) for the NOS trimmers.

paulsherwin 2nd May 2017 8:03 pm

Thanks to David (factory) for the Hitachi and H/K tuners, and to Chris (Herald1360) for transporting them from Crewe to Witney for me.

Reelman 4th May 2017 5:08 pm

Many thanks to Brunel for the two Grundig radios I collected from him today.
Cheers Mate!
Peter

eddie_ce 8th May 2017 9:05 am

Many thanks to crackle who replied to my Dulwich museum thread supplying additional contact details and thus enabling me to visit the museum last Saturday. Well worth the visit.

Oldcodger 8th May 2017 11:34 pm

Many thanks to Paulsherwin for guiding me through the maze of Humax dongles. I know I thanked Paul for "recommending" a dongle. Paul was upset at the wording, but I only took his "recommendations" as help and advice after he'd given me the technical aspects .Many thanks, Paul- all I have to do now is work out how to stream.

Diabolical Artificer 15th May 2017 5:49 am

A big thank you to Peter AKA Reelman for picking up and dropping off a box of valves for me.

Thanks Peter.

Andy.

Phil G4SPZ 19th May 2017 11:15 pm

My thanks go to Alistair D for sending me a brand new Vishay 68 Megohm precision resistor for my Avo EA113, completely FOC and postage paid too! Very kind, thank you Alistair.

HamishBoxer 20th May 2017 11:03 am

Many Thanks to Andrew B for the linear noise free PSU.

Skywave 20th May 2017 10:06 pm

Many thanks to Chris55000 for the delivery of a non-working Heathkit VTVM. Although current assessment of mine indicates that it is only the mains transformer that I require, other bits may well be needed from the donor item as and when I restore my unit.

Al.
May 20th.

yampy187 20th May 2017 11:04 pm

Thanks to mikey405 for the Ferguson tx10 as well as the other car full of old electronic goodies ☺️

Kind regards

Jan

Reelman 22nd May 2017 8:43 am

Many thanks to Bob_Moss for the vintage car radio he gave me yesterday. Looking forward to getting it going and enjoyed our chat.
Cheers,
Peter

electronicskip 24th May 2017 6:51 pm

A big thanks to Noel (Greenkit) for the Storno radiotelephone equipment.
Really well packed too!!
Thanks again.

'LIVEWIRE?' 26th May 2017 12:09 pm

Thanks, AC/HL (Bill) for the BVWS Capacitors page. I couldn't find it on the BVWS Website, but will contact Mike Barker the next time I need those Screwmount capacitors. Because the thread in 'Sets, Parts & Service Info. wanted' has been closed, I wasn't able to reply directly earlier this morning.

Reelman 27th May 2017 1:17 am

Many thanks to Jim, G4XWDJim for the box of parts that arrived this week. Presently arranging for the other forum members who showed an interest to receive what they wanted out of it.
Cheers!
Peter

HG MICKE 27th May 2017 12:25 pm

Many thanks to Rchard, mole42uk,for the hp Analyser.

Colin

TonyDuell 27th May 2017 6:17 pm

Thanks to Paul (wd40addict) for his Audacity plug-in that generates a Wow & Flutter test signal. It has proved very useful for verifying the operation of a Wow & Flutter meter I bought recently.

mhennessy 29th May 2017 10:45 pm

My thanks to Humber888 for the HP 1740A oscilloscope, and to WaveyDipole for helping transport it to me - I only hope I can repay the favour one day.

I'm hopeful that this unit contains the last part needed to complete a restoration project that's been on the back-burner for the last few years - if so, I'll write it up on the forum in due course. But in the meantime, thanks again to both :thumbsup:

Chris55000 31st May 2017 8:11 pm

Hi!

My thanks to Member Mikey405 for the PE Magazines, to Member Jacek for delivering 'em to me and Member John Caswell for the two HP180 Oscoilloscopes that I'm looking forward to restoring!

Chris Williams

AndiiT 1st Jun 2017 8:06 pm

Hi, A huge thanks here to forum member awc (Alex) who provided me with a (two actually) template for a BSR UA8 autochanger around a week ago.

Andrew

stumted2 1st Jun 2017 8:49 pm

Just to Say a huge thank you to Tom I for his very kind gift of a sonotone cartridge plus new stylus and P&P which he refuses to accept any payment for.

In the near future, I hope to follow Toms lead and pass on to forum members, stuff that I no longer need, which may be of some use to other members.

If only our world leaders could reflect Toms mind-set and actions, wouldn't that be fantastic.

Many thanks once again Tom.

All my very best and kindest regards,

Ted

Goldie99 3rd Jun 2017 11:57 am

My thanks to 'mole42uk' - for the 15V / 0 / -15V PS unit.

Alan

Phil G4SPZ 6th Jun 2017 8:11 pm

Thanks yet again are due to Jim G4XWD, for donating a pocket-watch voltmeter and other items for display at the Black Country Living Museum. Thanks for the cuppa, too!

Reelman 13th Jun 2017 12:47 pm

Many thanks go to Colin (HG MICKE) for sending the switches FOC and even paying the postage.
You are a fine gentleman Sir!
Much appreciated,
Peter

HamishBoxer 13th Jun 2017 8:10 pm

Thank you to David (Radio Wrangler) for packing up superbly a Dummy Load.

martiR2R 13th Jun 2017 8:40 pm

I second Reelman's comments above - thankyou Colin.

Regards
Martin

greg_simons 18th Jun 2017 4:28 pm

Many thanks to the two tony's, g8kbg and restoration73 for their help with some valves and screenector plug for the homebrew mullard amp project, it will live again soon.
greg.

TonyDuell 22nd Jun 2017 6:27 pm

Thanks to 'mole42uk' for sending the bridge for my Sectic Bijou clock movement. It fits perfectly, and will save me many hours on the mill

Karen O 3rd Jul 2017 4:47 am

Many thanks to all the forum members who helped me out with some ancient SD cards - all but one of these cards have the byte addressability I was looking for.

:thumbsup:

ben 6th Jul 2017 11:27 pm

Thanks to David (factory) for his gift of some audio equipment and for being so understanding and hanging on to it for me until I could recently get a friend to collect. Much appreciated.