UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Vintage Technology Discussions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   New book: 'The Last Train to Hilversum - a journey in search of the magic of radio' (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=153709)

David G4EBT 3rd Feb 2019 4:48 pm

New book: 'The Last Train to Hilversum - a journey in search of the magic of radio'

Some forum members might be interested in this newly published book.

Here's a little from the synopsis:

Quote:

The book’s title comes from the Dutch town whose legend was emblazoned on the dials of old wireless sets, alongside a host of other European place names, Athlone included. In the opening chapter, Connelly recounts how he began hoarding vintage radios after his father’s death, prompting memories of his childhood love affair with the medium. “Each radio represented a slice of intimacy, a deeply personal instrument of comfort,” he writes.

Wireless experiments:

Such sentences appear to herald an air of reverie, but the book is more a free-flowing conversation with an overenthusiastic radio buff. Connelly crams his book with detail, from descriptions of the Dorset hotel where Guglielmo Marconi conducted his groundbreaking wireless experiments to the challenges of running Britain’s smallest station on a remote Scottish coastline...

Unquote.

The book is presently only in hardback and costs £20.00. It can be bought from Foyles here:

https://www.foyles.co.uk/witem/histo...-9781408889992

There's a bit more about it here:

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/b...adio-1.3758882

Hope that might be of interest to someone.

ms660 3rd Feb 2019 5:06 pm

Re: New book: 'The Last Train to Hilversum - a journey in search of the magic of radi

Hilversum, Athlone...Reminds me of Van the man with the Telefunken.

Lawrence.

David G4EBT 3rd Feb 2019 6:26 pm

Re: New book: 'The Last Train to Hilversum - a journey in search of the magic of radi

Just bought it on Amazon Market Place for £13.21 post free.

(Kindle version is a tenner).

'LIVEWIRE?' 5th Feb 2019 6:51 pm

Sounds like a very interesting book. Might buy a copy to peruse at leisure.

Paul Stenning 6th Feb 2019 12:50 pm

Sounds interesting. I have just ordered a copy on Amazon too, £13.69 with free delivery to a Doddle collection store.

Guest 6th Feb 2019 2:04 pm

I got the Kindle edition, didn't "float my boat" at all, returned it for a refund. All about sociology et al, nothing about radio proper.

dave walsh 6th Feb 2019 4:57 pm

I think I will take a look. The last time David referenced a book ["The Girl From Station X" December 12th] someone had the same sort of disappointed reaction Merlin but it's an individual thing isn't it? I think David made it very clear [on both occasions] that it wasn't necessarily a very technical book.

Dave

Guest 6th Feb 2019 8:43 pm

Well that is one point to Kindle, I could return it in short order and get a no quibble refund. It does make me more likely to try a book that I may not like, most times I have kept them.

dave walsh 6th Feb 2019 9:08 pm

Yes I suppose you're right-I didn't even know that kindle do refunds like that Merlin but I'm glad you got your money back. I'm one of those people who struggle a bit with reading whole books via screens! It may be psychological but I definitely don't enjoy the experience. It probably protects me from all sorts of Internet downsides though, like an aversion to games8-\.

Dave

David G4EBT 6th Feb 2019 9:08 pm

I've used my Kindle less and less over time.

The main problem with Kindle is that e-books carry 20% VAT whereas paper books have no VAT. You can't pass Kindle books on to anyone else to read. I occasionally download Kindle books, but not often nowadays. If the book has been in print for at least a year or so, my first option is to check the 'used' price, which is often less than Kindle, then when I've read it, I can pass it on to someone else or to the Oxfam Bookshop. (Not a general Oxfam shop).

If you take a book such as the best-seller 'Sapiens - A Brief History of Humankind', it's £6.99 for the Kindle edition, and £6.99 for the paperback. I bought mine on Amazon Market Place 'good used' for £5.50 post free. It was just like new when it arrived three days later. (Fantastic book by the way).

Some would argue that the Kindle and other e-books scores in convenience in that you can have not just one book, but a whole library in your pocket and that's true.

I can't comment on 'Last Train to Hilversum' - mine doesn't arrive till Friday.

Brigham 7th Feb 2019 12:47 pm

The Kindle is useful if you tend to read what everybody else reads.
Otherwise...

dave walsh 10th Feb 2019 3:40 pm

I thought this book sounded familiar;) It was in the Guardian Review on Jan 19th. Just googling "A Heartfelt and nostalgic celebration of Radio" brings it up right away-and more!

Dave

HamishBoxer 10th Feb 2019 6:53 pm

Mine arrived today but I cannot look at it till Valentines day!

dave walsh 10th Feb 2019 9:30 pm

So it's not just the romance of radio then David [Hamish]8-\

Dave W