UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Underwater scene? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=162833)

Andrew2 10th Jan 2020 9:57 am

Underwater scene?

Does anyone recall those rather odd ornaments, usually in the shape of a ship's wheel, that tended to grace the top of the telly? In the centre was (I think) a transparent dome, inside which was an undersea scene of fish, a treasure chest etc. This was illuminated by mains power which arrived via a length of dangerous-looking thin 'speaker wire' cable.
I thought they were terribly 'common', but at the same time they fascinated me!

Cobaltblue 10th Jan 2020 10:44 am

Re: Underwater scene?

2 Attachment(s)
Yes My grandparents had one on top of the telly in fact ISTR lots of my relations had them but as they were all in places like Newlyn I guess not surprising :thumbsup:

Couple of pics from the net

Radio Wrangler 10th Jan 2020 11:49 am

My grandparents didn't! Might be something to do with grandad having had two ships sunk from under him?

What he did have were two very large (to me as a small kid) shells stood each side of the fireplace.

David

David

G6Tanuki 10th Jan 2020 11:51 am

I remember them.... tacky, as you say. Some of them were water-filled and had little metallized-plastic flakes (like in a snow-globe) - heat from the bulb caused convection-currents to circulate the flakes and give a 'twinkly' effect to the water.

We never had anything so horrid - our 1960s TV-topper was a sailing-ship, about 18 inches long/high, with a 15-watt pygmy bulb in the base to illuminate the sails/rigging.

Station X 10th Jan 2020 11:56 am

We've had a thread on these TV top ornaments before, but I can't find it at present.

Martin G7MRV 10th Jan 2020 12:58 pm

Equally horrendous were the vintage cars, horse and carts, and paddle steamers with a little tranny radio built in! All three of my sets of grandparents had these.

(this doesnt include my Corgi RTL van with a radio in it!)

G4XWDJim 10th Jan 2020 1:12 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler (Post 1206434)
What he did have were two very large (to me as a small kid) shells stood each side of the fireplace.

David

David

So did mine, highly polished brass a foot tall and about 3" - 4" diameter. Must have made a big bang.

Jim

Andrew2 10th Jan 2020 1:31 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by G6Tanuki (Post 1206436)
I remember them.... tacky, as you say. Some of them were water-filled and had little metallized-plastic flakes (like in a snow-globe) - heat from the bulb caused convection-currents to circulate the flakes and give a 'twinkly' effect to the water.

We never had anything so horrid - our 1960s TV-topper was a sailing-ship, about 18 inches long/high, with a 15-watt pygmy bulb in the base to illuminate the sails/rigging.

Oh yes, as a TV engineer I've had to shift plenty of those before turning the set around to take a shufti. Not to mention those weird blue blown-glass fish! And how could we forget having to lovingly pick up and move the dozens of tiny pot fairies, cats, Toby Jugs and glass Bambis which the customer had thoughtfully kept in place to amuse us?
And at risk of being admonished by our moderators, having to get rid of the piles of newspapers, Radio Times and shoes & slippers from the space between the legs? Sorry, wandering OT again.....

Radio Wrangler 10th Jan 2020 1:33 pm

Yup.

You just hope they weren't live..... There have been a few incidents of houses being evacuated while 'souveneirs' were removed. At least underwater scene ornaments are relatively safe.

I once bought an old piece of WWII radio gear. It had a bank of crystals inside with small charges fitted between them.

David

broadgage 10th Jan 2020 3:08 pm

Another rather tacky ornament was a model ship illuminated from within by a number of Christmas type lights. Often the lamps were fitted permanently and not user replaceable.
Often holiday souvenirs.
Not confined to atop the TV, but that was a popular location.

Later displaced by lava lamps in some cases.

Martin G7MRV 10th Jan 2020 3:14 pm

I suppose thats one thing with the modern wall mounted ultra slim tellies - very hard to put cheesy ornaments on top of them!

Lancs Lad 10th Jan 2020 3:19 pm

Hang on, what sort of shells are we talking about, please?

I just immediately assumed pretty sea shells!;D

Not military ammunition!:o

Radio Wrangler 10th Jan 2020 4:11 pm

Shells, Naval.

In the words of the Navy Lark; whizz-bangs and Oooh-Narsties

David

g4aaw pete 10th Jan 2020 4:12 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin G7MRV (Post 1206500)
I suppose thats one thing with the modern wall mounted ultra slim tellies - very hard to put cheesy ornaments on top of them!

Wrong!

Guest 10th Jan 2020 4:16 pm

There will always be tat, how much tat lasts for 40 odd years? There must be a (potential) line of slimline TV tat, recumbent snakes perhaps, or the classic Nessie!

Station X 10th Jan 2020 4:23 pm

Screen saver of fish swinging round?

Yes I know that only CRT screens need screen savers.

Andrew2 10th Jan 2020 4:25 pm

How about a 'Kilroy' (Mr Chad) type of thing that could hook over the top edge of our shiny new slimline TV's? For added tat-factor, they could be illuminated by an internal LED and be powered from the TV's USB port.

Martin G7MRV 10th Jan 2020 4:46 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew2 (Post 1206530)
How about a 'Kilroy' (Mr Chad) type of thing that could hook over the top edge of our shiny new slimline TV's? For added tat-factor, they could be illuminated by an internal LED and be powered from the TV's USB port.

well, most of the programming has the tat-factor these days...

bluepilot 10th Jan 2020 6:34 pm

I don't know whether it counts as a TV-top ornament but when I was a boy "motion lamps" were all the rage. Here's one with an underwater scene:
Underwater motion lamp
I had one with a couple of cars on (a model T and a Bearcat). They seem to be very rare and expensive now.

G6Tanuki 10th Jan 2020 7:39 pm

I guess its movement was powered by some sort of vane-structure fitted in the rising heat from the bulb, in much the same way as 'flame-effect' electric fires with a vane assembly above a red bulb.

I've never seen such a 'motion lamp' device myself, but a decade back some friends put their obsolete non-HD LCD TV in their fireplace and fed it from a concealed laptop showing a "log fire" screensaver!