UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Telephony and Telecomms (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Dialling Codes from Ledbury area (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=163847)

Pellseinydd 13th Feb 2020 6:24 pm

Dialling Codes from Ledbury area

Can anyone help with the dialling codes from Ledbury (0531) to its adjacent
charge groups/STD codes?
The groups are -

Cheltenham (0242) - No direct code found to Ledbury
Evesham (0386) - No direct code found to Ledbury
Gloucester (0452) - 961 to Ledbury from Gloucester
Hereford (0432) - 97 to Ledbury from Hereford
Malvern group (0684 X = 92X fm Worcester (0905)) 82 to Ledbury from
Malvern
Bromyard group (0885/6 X = 91X fm Hereford (0432))
Worcester (0905) - No direct code found to Worcester
Ross on Wye (0989) - 96 to Ledbury from Ross-on-Wye

Direct routes from other exchanges to UAXs but what are the 'reverse codes'
to Gloucester & Ross-on-Wye?
Newent (0531 82 ) 942 from Gloucester (0452), 97 from Ross-on-Wye (0989)
Dymock (0531 85) - 943 from Gloucester,

Any help appreciated

Guest 13th Feb 2020 7:07 pm

Re: Dialling Codes from Ledbury area

Ah, the old "9" codes, it was said you could dial from exchange to exchange using them to get a "long distance" call for the price of a local one. I bet the quality was bad though.

I do remember Cambridge to Royston was 95, and to Ely 98.

Pellseinydd 13th Feb 2020 8:21 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell (Post 1216930)
Ah, the old "9" codes, it was said you could dial from exchange to exchange using them to get a "long distance" call for the price of a local one. I bet the quality was bad though.

I do remember Cambridge to Royston was 95, and to Ely 98.

There was more often than not, barring on the incoming group to routes going out to a 'non-adjacent' group. For instance if I dialled 93 from Mold(0352) to reach Wrexham (0978) then tried to dial 94 to reach Oswestry(0691) on the far side of Wrexham, the routing was barred. However if I dialled 93 then say 81 for a UAX off Wrexham (which was allowed to dial to Oswestry) the 9 to get back into Wrexham followed by 94 - it got around the incoming barring on the route from Mold.

On CNet, we haven't got quite that level of barring, and I do know someone who dialled in excess of 70 digits all around North and Mid Wales on the various 'junction' routes and back to his other telephone - but with modern technology, there was no loss of speech quality ;)

Odd that I've never seen anything with the 9X codes from Ledbury and I have a huge collection of old code lists.

Guest 13th Feb 2020 9:08 pm

Quote:

but with modern technology, there was no loss of speech quality
We have VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) at work, bloomin' awful, delays, dropouts, poor quality, the list goes on and on. And I haven't got a proper 'phone on my bench or desk just some headphone thingy. I want my 'phone back.

Herald1360 13th Feb 2020 11:21 pm

ISTR Malvern might have been 93 from Ledbury. I remember it being 993 from Colwall or Much Marcle (not sure whether one or both).

Penally 14th Feb 2020 5:40 pm

The codes from Ledbury in the late 70s were:

Adjacent charge groups

Hereford 91
Gloucester 92
Malvern 93
Ross on Wye 94
Hanley Swan (other than Malvern) 0684
Bromyard 0885
Upper Sapey 0886

Dependent exchanges

Bromsberrow 81
Newent 82
Trumpet 83
Much Marcle 84
Dymock 85
Bosbury 86

Hope this helps

Paul

Pellseinydd 16th Feb 2020 4:18 pm

Great - many thanks Paul. I'd got the 8X codes for the 'dependents' as those can be worked out from the STD code and I have several hundred STD code books gathered over the years. Sadly codebooks and the earlier dialling ode cards never made it to the GPO/PO/BT Archives as did the telephone directories. At least the surviving local codes still in use made it onto the 'Phonebook' when that was introduced in 1984 onwards but by then many local codes had gone.

Ian J

Pellseinydd 16th Feb 2020 4:41 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell (Post 1216964)
Quote:

but with modern technology, there was no loss of speech quality
We have VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) at work, bloomin' awful, delays, dropouts, poor quality, the list goes on and on. And I haven't got a proper 'phone on my bench or desk just some headphone thingy. I want my 'phone back.

You must have had 'duff' equipment/poor broadband connection. All the contacts I have over CNet these has are as good as if not better than by my copper 'Openreach'/BT line. Bear in mind that the PSTN is moving to VoIP within five years or so according to BT. I was at an internal only Openreach conference for Openreach engineers six months ago (I was a guest - I don't work for them) and it was interesting to hear how fast fibre to the premises is happening. BT are just working out exactly how the 'telephone instrument' will be provided at your house in the future.

In fact I never use my landline number, I've got several VoIP PSTN numbers and those are the ones I use. Plus they have the advantage that they ring simultaneously on my VoIP phones at home and on my mobile. Hence I don't have to pay the huge fee BT charge for the same facility!

Ian J

bobsterkent 18th Feb 2020 9:00 pm

Ian is right time is ticking away here, I work with the person whos job it is to switch off the analogue network, there are various security issues to resolve but you will start to see areas gong over soon. when it happens the 5,000 exchanges wont be required anymore, and the equipment in them is getting harder to maintain.

End of March will see things like Kilosteam switched off.