UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   1950s tape recorder microphone identity (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=199524)

brenellic2000 30th Mar 2023 7:49 am

1950s tape recorder microphone identity

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone recognise this early-1950s tape-recorder candle-stick microphone? It has no identification marks. It is enamelled metal with turned aluminium ferrules.

Unusually it has a flat top with wide chrome bezel and a 1" dia pierced metal guard rather than the more common domed wire mesh.

I don't recognise it as a Brush, ACOS/Cosmocord or Ronette. Did Lustraphone make one... or is it foreign?

peter_sol 30th Mar 2023 8:06 am

Re: 1950s tape recorder microphone identity

i wonder if this is made by STC?

brenellic2000 30th Mar 2023 8:33 am

... predating the 4021 'Apple?'

vidjoman 30th Mar 2023 8:43 am

Looks like a version of the STC ball & biscuit mic to me without the biscuit.

Radio Wrangler 30th Mar 2023 8:50 am

I had an STC microphone similar to that, except that the flat mesh was larger in diameter with a narrower swaged (aluminium?) bezel around it. The bezel was anodised/plated dark bronze, the microphone body was finished in black wrinkle. There was a socket at the base and I had no other fittings for it.

It came from M&B who handled a lot of ex-BBC stuff, so that was a probable source. Inside, there was some commonality with the ball and biscuit, so this may have been a precursor.

It was a magnetic dynamic type and surprisingly heavy.

David

brenellic2000 30th Mar 2023 11:21 am

This is quite light in weight so I doubt its an STC or Westrex. Three of the four bezel screws wont budge; the fourth is loose and has stripped the thread in the 'Bakelite' so I'm reluctant to open her up and look inside for marks.

vidjoman 30th Mar 2023 12:19 pm

Found an interesting site on microphones. He might recognize it.
https://martinmitchellsmicrophones.wordpress.com/

Reelman 30th Mar 2023 8:41 pm

It looks like a variant of the Mike originally supplied with the Scophony-Baird tape recorder in the 50s. The grille and bezel are identical. Unfortunately I can’t find mine in order to take a photo. No idea of manufacturer.

Peter

brenellic2000 31st Mar 2023 10:56 am

Could well have been supplied with an SB, as I had a couple, but don't recall seeing this mic in the brochures...

brenellic2000 1st Apr 2023 7:28 am

... which shows a similar table-top (vs candle-stick) mic. Note the wine-glass shaped body rather than the more common orb.

Bobsound 1st Apr 2023 4:20 pm

I believe this mic was made by Tannoy for the Baird tape recorder

brenellic2000 2nd Apr 2023 10:38 am

Thanks, that sounds plausible as the Soundmaster was sold, as advertised, with a Tannoy mic; albeit the only illustrations I have seen are of the stubby table-top version. The war time Tannoy field 'phones had a perforated guard. Given Tannoy's post-war financial state, and contracted war-time production of field 'phones, I wonder if Truvox/Rola-Celestion were involved...?

barrymagrec 2nd Apr 2023 1:34 pm

Looks a bit Acos to me.

Reelman 2nd Apr 2023 6:15 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Rare microphones for sure but guess what? A stall at Golborne today had this Tannoy Mike on it, amazing coincidence! It was the stall next to the lady collecting the cash. The one I have certainly does not have a maker’s name on it.

brenellic2000 3rd Apr 2023 7:48 am

Brilliant - l'm happy to concede it's a Tannoy - that's the easy bit done...