UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Clubs, Groups and Societies (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Radiophile Auctions (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149040)

GrahamN 20th Aug 2018 10:47 am

Radiophile Auctions

I have just been speaking with Chas regarding future Radiophile auctions and due to problems with getting assistance, he has decided to stop holding them for the time being.

There will now be a teaching / repair workshop at Gnosall on 16th September in place of the previously advertised auction.

I will post updates regarding future auctions once I get them, but for the time being you should assume that they will also be cancelled.

John KC0G 25th Aug 2018 5:03 pm

Re: Radiophile Auctions

Sad but not surprising.

Boater Sam 25th Aug 2018 6:00 pm

Very sad.

I had a word with Chas about helping at the February auction but I could not confirm that I would be in the country. There seemed to be no one else willing.

September I can do if my wife is fit, new hip on Tuesday so I may go and see if I can learn something.

I'll miss the excitement of the auctions.

Sam.

M6SPW1974 28th Aug 2018 10:48 am

Oh dear, not good, maybe the X 3 main valve traders who normally do 0% to help should have volunteered, that way they would have had another auction to attend :wall:,that is now the second one that Chas has cancelled (not that I blame him).

Graham if I can be of any assistance at future auctions it's not a problem and I am sure Glyn Bradshaw will also help as we have done it in the past.

Please make Chas aware of this.

Cheers, Shaun.:thumbsup:

stevehertz 28th Aug 2018 3:07 pm

How much is it to have a stall and/or be in the auction? The auction rates? Not been to one for years, so not sure of the format, cost etc. Thanks.

Sean Williams 29th Aug 2018 5:43 pm

Sadly the situation with volunteers has been ongoing for many years now - I used to be a regular attendee/helper, but if you factor in a whole weekend, 200 mile round trip, and overnight accomodation/meals, then it ceases to be a voluntary effort, and is actually an expensive weekend away.

There is a finite number of people that are happy to do this sort of thing, I think it is fair to say that the resource has been depleted.

It is quite disheartening to lay out a 400+ lot auction, with lots arriving at sporadic times from 10 am on a Saturday, right through to 1pm on the day of the sale, only to end the sale with a number of unsold lots, and no sight of anyone to take them away.

I've tried many times to limit the size of sales, and to stop the last minute entering of extra lots on the day.

I think in this case however, the number of sales throughout the year was what finally did it for me - 10+ auctions in a year is far too many, and only serves to introduce people selling stuff that is really not worth the minimum bid.

I think the BVWS sales at least offer to reimburse expenses for those that are good enough to offer their time freely.

YoungManGW 2nd Sep 2018 8:31 am

I guess this is where Rob Rusbridge's very professional auctions will come into their own. The northern dates for 2019, at Hoghton, near Preston, are Sunday 13 January and Sunday 9 June.
Regards,
Richard

Radio Wrangler 2nd Sep 2018 9:02 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Williams (Post 1070913)
I think in this case however, the number of sales throughout the year was what finally did it for me - 10+ auctions in a year is far too many, and only serves to introduce people selling stuff that is really not worth the minimum bid.

You could always move up here, Sean. We're quite free of vintage radio auctions :-)

I knew about population densities, travelling ranges, etc. focusing everything towards the South East, but I never realised that the number down there had reached problematic proportions. So it seems like famine or feast.

I'm going to try to make it down to one of Rob Rusbridge's doos next year. They sound to be good fun and well organised.

David

GrahamN 4th Sep 2018 4:03 pm

An update for you:

The following auctions will be going ahead as previously advertised:

Cowbit - 14th October 2018

Gnosall - 18th November 2018

Graham

AC/HL 4th Sep 2018 4:36 pm

Added to the calendar

stevehertz 4th Sep 2018 5:01 pm

I think Sean's summary in post 6 'sums' it all up - assuming it's all true - I'm sure Sean has no reason to tell it otherwise. Too much expected of assistants who gave their time, physical efforts and considerable travelling expenses for free. Not to mention a degree of disorganisation re late lots and lots left over. That's what we're told. Hence a lack assistants prepared to work like that. :shrug:

Sean Williams 4th Sep 2018 7:15 pm

It certainly was the case in the past, if it is still the case is purely conjecture. This isn't a dig at anyone - the returns from the commission at auctions isn't that great, especially where the average hammer price could be as low as £20.

By the time the Auctioneer gets paid, and the hall rental is covered, there isn't that much left.

There has to be a significant number of high value lots and good bidding to make an auction worthwhile for the organisers.

YoungManGW 3rd Nov 2018 5:31 pm

Graham, is it still planned that the auction billed for 18 November will go ahead?

If so, I'll be in touch nearer the time, once the auction list is available, to ask my usual question about whether the auction includes any instances of my favourite radio brand.

Many thanks.

Regards,
Richard

GrahamN 4th Nov 2018 8:54 am

Richard - yes it's going ahead as planned. Chas is looking at booking future auctions to try and ensure they coincide with dates where help is available.

Auction lots are now being collated and listed by Brian Pallister (contact details are on the website), so he would be the best person to advise whether any specific radios are listed. There are quite often late lots, however, as well as occasional lots not being delivered, so it isn't possible to be sure until the day of the auction.

Auction catalogues are also available by subscription - £12.50 per year for PDF or £22.00 for printed issues.

Regards

Graham

Boater Sam 4th Nov 2018 11:51 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoungManGW (Post 1088683)
, to ask my usual question about whether the auction includes any instances of my favourite radio brand.

Which is Richard? My collection needs thinning.
Sam.

slidertogrid 4th Nov 2018 10:51 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Williams (Post 1070913)
only serves to introduce people selling stuff that is really not worth the minimum bid.

I attended the last two Cowbit auctions and it has to be said the amount of lots and the quality of the lots has fallen off severely.

In the last auction nearly every wooden radio almost without exception had signs of damp storage and woodworm, I bought a rough set for spares to find the output valve had been recently removed, the tape recorder I bought had its ECC83 missing. That suggests to me that parts of 'value' are being removed and sold separately ?
The usual people were there buying up the valves at any cost to resell at a profit...
I probably won't bother anymore, sad to see it go this way....

YoungManGW 5th Nov 2018 8:01 am

Sam,
Bakelite Ekcos from the first use of Bakelite to the end of WWII - the self-imposed rule to avoid the house being completely taken over!
Regards,
Richard

GrahamN 5th Nov 2018 8:30 am

Unfortunately the quality of lots does vary, and it's simply not realistic to check every item before it goes into the sale. Having said that, the new minimum sale price of £5 and minimum commission charge of £2 (even if unsold) should make it much less likely that poorer quality, low value items will appear in subsequent auctions. Also, it may be my imagination, but there does seem to me to be more of the quality items at the Gnosall auctions.

Boater Sam 5th Nov 2018 9:58 am

" there does seem to me to be more of the quality items at the Gnosall auctions. "

Not been to Cowbit, but the quality at Gnosall seems to be good, I have trouble stopping my hand from rising!
Sam.

David G4EBT 5th Nov 2018 11:52 am

Auctions are basically commercial events, and normal business practice is to do all that can be done to maximise the success. That means drawing in as many sellers, buyers (and helpers) as possible. A key feature of that is to locate the auction in areas of high population density with good transport links. Cowbit is a ludicrous location to hold an auction and to expect it to succeed, but of course they're not held there for sound commercial reasons. It's in one of the least populous areas imaginable, accessible only by poor rural roads. There are many more cabbages than chimney pots - the nearest towns are small - Peterborough, Lincoln, Boston, Saplding, Stamford, with larger towns being maybe 2 Hours away - Nottingham, Leicester. If you stick a pin in Cowbit on the map and draw say a 75 mile radius, half of it will be in the North Sea.

I'm not being derisory, critical or unkind when I say this - I'm just stating geographical facts.

I've attended two Cowbit events - only because we used to live at Spalding and are still close friends with former neighbours, so as with the Spalding Rally, I was able to combine a visit to neighbours with attending the events. Despite having an experienced professional auctioneer, prices attained were derisory - in some instances, less than a radio would fetch at a car boot sale. Unsurprisingly, many sets were bought for no more than a fiver by two or three individuals, as were the large lots of valves. To be frank, for this latter reason, I found the atmosphere a bit 'seedy' and 'spivvy' - not in keeping with the hobby, but maybe that sounds a bit 'haughty'.

On the odd occasions that I've sold radios, I've taken them to the local auction house and have been agreeably surprised at the outcome, but as with most auctions these days, as well as in the room, bidding is live on internet to a much wider audience. No problem with damage in transit, non-paying bidders, having to pack and send via couriers etc. Take it to the auction one day, get a cheque in the post by the end of the week.

At least Gnosall is rather better placed strategically, with Nottingham, Derby Leics, Birmingham Stoke, Stafford and the Potteries generally within reach, and with a reasonable road network, but Cowbit - huh? Hat's off to those who try to make a success of it with the odds stacked against them, but there's little point in anyone bemoaning the lack of assistance or lack of interest in the event.