UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Radio (domestic) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Hacker - List of Models (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39591)

Tony1955 19th Apr 2009 11:45 am

Hacker - List of Models

Hi Everyone.
I'm new to this site and to the world of the radio collector. I'm a complete novice - although I have mastered the art of turning a radio on/off etc. :dunce:

I recently bought a Hacker Sovereign 11 RP25 and was greatly impressed with its build and beautiful tone. So impressed was I, that I've decided to seek out more examples from this same manufacturer.

I've spent hours trawling the internet in an attempt to obtain a list of models that Hacker produced between 1950-1980, but with no success - although I have identified other models such as the Hunter, Herald etc.

Can anyone help and provide a difinitive list of Hacker models and their dates please?

As a novice, I would also appreciate any advice from members as to preferred Hacker models, and more importantly, those models to steer clear of.

Many thanks

Tony

igranic 19th Apr 2009 12:21 pm

Re: Hacker - List of Models

Tony,

The Hacker Radio Group on Yahoo has a list of models in the Files section. You will probably have to join the group to gain access.

HTH
Edward

Tony1955 19th Apr 2009 12:25 pm

Thanks Edward, I'll give it a go.

Many regards,

Tony

Darren-UK 19th Apr 2009 12:30 pm

I would add that although Edward's pointer is a very good one and the Yahoo group is run by our very own Hacker expert - this does not mean discussions on Hacker products aren't welcome in these Forums. Indeed, a search of the Forums will bring forth many threads on Hacker products.

Tony1955 19th Apr 2009 12:51 pm

Thanks Darren. I've been looking at a lot of threads on Hacker and they are very interesting. I just wondered whether anyone already compiled a list and would be willing to share.

Tony

Darren-UK 19th Apr 2009 1:09 pm

Well, the Yahoo group is the best place for a model list. I would however add that, as you're interested in acquiring further Hacker's, previous discussions have usually rated the RP38A as a 'one to have'. This is a solid, relatively compact, good performing radio with VHF/FM (only up to 101MHz though).

JLH1969 19th Apr 2009 1:37 pm

In my experience, having owned and repaired many Hackers over the years, the best sounding one is the VHF Herald.
But that's just my opinion..................

Tony1955 19th Apr 2009 1:40 pm

Just thought I'd give a quick update. I've now joined the Hacker Radio Group on Yahoo (Thanks again Edward), and I've obtained an absolutely brilliant list that was compiled by Paul King (well done Paul).

I'm still interested in hearing from anyone though who has further recommendations (or warnings!) of Hacker models. Thanks Darren for highlighting previous discussions regarding the RP38A.:thumbsup:

Tony

Paul_RK 19th Apr 2009 1:51 pm

Hello Tony,

Glad to see you've joined the Hacker group - that makes 259 of us, at least ten times the membership I ever anticipated - and I hope you've not had much trouble locating the annotated Hacker Radio Models list that's becoming a little lost now in the middle of our Files section. You'll find it's pretty hard to go wrong with Hacker sets. Only real reservations are that economics dictated something of a falling off in quality from the mid-'70s onwards, and that some 1960s models are unreliable nowadays until the AF117 etc. transistors fitted to most radios at the time have been attended to.

Regards,
Paul

Tony1955 19th Apr 2009 1:51 pm

Thanks JLH1969. Was there any particular model of Herald or did they all sound good?

Tony

thermionic 19th Apr 2009 2:01 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Tony. Attached is a list of models. It does say that it may be incomplete. This comes from a very good booklet simply called 'Hacker Radio' written by the late Geoffrey Dixon-Nuttall and Gordon Bussey. I am not sure if it is still obtainable - (somebody here will probably know) but if you can obtain a copy, then it will only fuel your interest in this once great radio manufacturer.

Cheers. SimonT.

Paul_RK 19th Apr 2009 2:31 pm

Hi Simon,

The booklet sold out some time ago but is available for download here - http://www.vintage-radio.info/docs/ - or from the Hacker group files. As Geoffrey Dixon-Nuttall readily admitted his interest in the Hacker brothers' work focussed largely on the pre-1960 Dynatron era, and within that chiefly on pre-war models: the Hacker list in the booklet is indeed incomplete and contains several errors. Mine has received quite a few amendments as more models have come to my notice through eBay etc., but I think as far as radio receivers go they're all or nearly all included and accounted for now.

Paul

Tony1955 19th Apr 2009 2:41 pm

Thanks Simon for the list and the book info... one never knows where a copy may just turn up so I'll be looking out for it. :thumbsup:

Paul - I've just tried to download the book from your link but it came back as 'not found'. I'll try again later.

Tony

Paul_RK 19th Apr 2009 2:45 pm

That's a puzzle - I've just tried downloading it from the page linked to above and from the Hacker group files page, where it appears immediately below the model listing, and it's worked fine both ways. The booklet does appear from time to time but tends to fetch high prices, I've seen it lately for £20 - £30. If the Hacker brothers' earlier work interests you at all you'll also find the Dynatron museum, http://www.dynatronmuseum.org.uk/ , well worth a look.

Paul

Tony1955 19th Apr 2009 7:32 pm

Thanks Paul for the Dynatron link - good stuff and very informative.

I've tried that link for the Hacker booklet download again, but have still been unable to open. >((
I've had an Adobe Reader message stating: 'There was an error opening this document. This file cannot be found'. I use my Adobe Reader quite a lot and so I don't think there's a problem with it.

Never mind, I'll try it again later.

Tony

AlanBeckett 19th Apr 2009 7:38 pm

Tony,
I downloaded it ok, assuming you mean 'Hacker Radio
Geoffrey Dixon-Nuttall & Gordon Bussey'. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.
Alan

Nickthedentist 19th Apr 2009 7:38 pm

That document is a scan of my copy of the book which I did a year or two ago using the software supplied with my HP scanner. I've just tried downloading it, and it seems to open fine for me too ???

Tony1955 20th Apr 2009 1:03 am

Problem solved. I've just tried to download the booklet again and it worked :shrug: Did I press the link and then try to download without signing in first???

Anyway, thanks Alan for the offer to e-mail a copy.

Tony