UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Goodmans Axiom 110 loudspeaker. (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=140461)

FERNSEH 11th Oct 2017 8:33 pm

Goodmans Axiom 110 loudspeaker.

1 Attachment(s)
The Goodmans Axiom 110 loudspeaker which appears in the attached picture has an open circuit speech coil. Is it repairable or simply scrap metal?

DFWB.

Boater Sam 11th Oct 2017 8:41 pm

Re: Goodmans Axiom 110 loudspeaker.

Not scrap, there are repairers. I can mention Wilmslow Audio in Leicester for one. Not a recommend, I know of them but have not used their services.
I suppose that the flexible tails to the cone are intact?

FERNSEH 11th Oct 2017 9:00 pm

Hi Sam,
I have checked the leads but it'll do no harm check them again just to confirm that it might be only one the cone to coil leads that is O. C.

DFWB.

ms660 11th Oct 2017 9:02 pm

Blimey, I remember Wilmslow Audio in Wilmslow, not far from Club Creole above the Rex.

I see they do Black Rhodium cables....:)

Lawrence.

Boater Sam 11th Oct 2017 9:08 pm

But no longer in Wilmslow. Its probably land/property values have driven them out. The Rex is still there I think.

llama 12th Oct 2017 9:59 am

I successfully repaired one of these a few decades ago. The break was between the actual voice coil and the rivet in the cone that the flexi attaches to. Fiddly but worked OK. Good luck.
Graham

Tractionist 12th Oct 2017 1:45 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms660 (Post 982114)
Blimey, I remember Wilmslow Audio in Wilmslow, not far from Club Creole above the Rex.

Aaah .... The Club Creole [could never remember its name] ...... and Pantomine matinees at the Rex Cinema ........ apppy daze eh? !!:-)

Wouldn't hurt to try and remove the name/rating plate from the centre rear .... and then see how it's assembled ................

FERNSEH 14th Oct 2017 9:42 pm

"Wouldn't hurt to try and remove the name/rating plate from the centre rear .... and then see how it's assembled."

I'll try that and report back my findings.

DFWB.

ronbryan 14th Oct 2017 11:07 pm

The usual way to inspect the voice coil terminations is via the pole piece dust cover, which is glued to the centre of the cone. The dust cover can be lifted by using a scalpel to carefully cut the edge where it joins the cone. If the break in the coil termination can be seen and repaired, the dust cover can be simply glued back in place.

Ron

crackle 15th Oct 2017 7:04 am

The magnet shroud may just be plastic and prise off. I had a similar speaker and the shroud looked like a simple flower pot tray.
There were screws which came out and the magnet assembly could be removed exposing the speech coil.
Worth a try.

Edit, no sorry that was a Fane speaker, but you never know it may be similar.

Mike