UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Unknown items. Value? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=179948)

Flyingjock 10th May 2021 12:32 pm

Unknown items. Value?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi.

I have two radio (looking) items, first I would like to know what they are and secondly what are they worth.

Thanks.

Radio Wrangler 10th May 2021 2:06 pm

Re: Unknown items. Value?

It's a variable capacitor in a nice-looking box. Translating the label gives 290pF to 690pF

It's not something that's really needed, more of an ornament now. It doesn't have a renowned maker's name on it like Sullivan or General Radio, so it's not a high precision one.

I've seen people pick this sort of thing up for a few quid at radio rallies - Like the main Scottish annual one that happens (in normal years) in the big shopping mall at Barrhead of all places!

What it would fetch in an antiques shop setting, I haven't a clue. It hasn't got the intricacy and acreage of brass of an old chemical balance or microscope but the box is nice.

Oh, and welcome!

David

ms660 10th May 2021 3:19 pm

Looks almost too new to be old.

Unless it's my eyes there looks to be a circular stamp/logo on the lid.

I wonder why the gubbins is fitted anti-convention?

Lawrence.

turretslug 10th May 2021 4:58 pm

Agreed- somehow it doesn't seem authentically period, though that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be of use. As said, not of great value but some'll give a few bob for it,

Colin

peterpixel 10th May 2021 5:48 pm

Perhaps a restorer refitted the 'gubbins' upside down although the label suggests somewhere along the way someone knew something about its use. Peter.

Dave Moll 10th May 2021 6:37 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterpixel (Post 1372920)
Perhaps a restorer refitted the 'gubbins' upside down

That might be difficult given the positioning of the screws.

Aub 10th May 2021 6:46 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms660 (Post 1372898)
Looks almost too new to be old.

Unless it's my eyes there looks to be a circular stamp/logo on the lid.

I wonder why the gubbins is fitted anti-convention?

Lawrence.

Yes. Looks like G17 and then a 2 in the centre ?

Aub

Guest 10th May 2021 9:07 pm

Worth a fiver as part of an enthusiasts display, if I came across one I would spend said sum.

Reelman 10th May 2021 9:21 pm

Could make a nice “period” Crystal set out of that. At least that is what I would do....
Peter

The Philpott 11th May 2021 11:30 am

...and note that no-one makes boxes that well any more! decent wood, probably good joints and a 'hinge for life'.

Dave

Radio Wrangler 11th May 2021 11:35 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Philpott (Post 1373082)
...and note that no-one makes boxes that well any more!

Oh? David G4EBT of this very forum?

David

Flyingjock 11th May 2021 11:47 am

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all your replies, any idea of what this is

Flyingjock 11th May 2021 12:01 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I also have a AR 5001D unboxed, used condition but clean, just the unit itself & power cable, not sure of the value of this if anybody can help, maybe not quite vintage but I have no idea realy what it is & would appreciate any input.

Simon Gittins 11th May 2021 12:08 pm

Looks like a Resistance Box; a set of precision resistors that were used for comparison tests. If you connect a modern DVM on resistance range between the two bars at the front you should see a reading close to zero ohms, removing the "5" plug should then show 5 ohms etc.

ex 2 Base 11th May 2021 12:09 pm

Post office box, or Wheatstone bridge, used with a Galvanometer to measure resistance.

Flyingjock 11th May 2021 12:20 pm

Again thanks for your replies, it’s all new knowledge to me

The Philpott 12th May 2021 7:48 pm

Post 10 & 11 I was yearning for a time when such quality was commercially available David, but point taken-admittedly i had forgotten David's creations.
Dave

(Reminiscent of Python sketch where everyone's called Bruce and a newcomer causes confusion by not being called Bruce)

majoconz 12th May 2021 9:25 pm

The AR5001 could be worth a nice sum if it's working. Have a search on EPay and you might find what others are expecting them to sell for - that might give you a guide but don't take it as gospel! If you are interested in Ham radio or SWLing you may want to keep it - AOR are not as good recently as they were 20-odd years ago as many reviewers will say. I had an AR2002 which just suddenly went deaf and there was no way I could find the reason - I sold it for a pittance locally to a guy whose 2002 had a dodgy display.