UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Switched or Unswitched Sockets for HI-FI? (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=153121)

gramophone1 13th Jan 2019 9:47 pm

Switched or Unswitched Sockets for HI-FI?

Do unswitched Sockets really make a difference to the overall sound quality of your hifi ?
Or is it just more hifi BS ?

I really can't see why there would be any difference between switched sockets and unswitched sockets to be honest. But hey, I could be wrong.

Any comments appreciated.

stevehertz 13th Jan 2019 10:02 pm

Re: Switched or Unswitched Sockets for HI-FI

Hmm. the question is, does a switch contact in line with the AC power to a hifi component, that's AC power that is subsequently rectified into DC power and held strongly at a DC voltage by great big capacitors and regulators, affect the sound quality? No. But don't take my word for it, there are countless thousands of audiophiles (audiophools) and probably thousands of companies out there who believe, or would have you believe that it does. In short, this is the hifi industry as it is today and in truth, has been for around 35 years. An 'industry' where descriptions of sound are scribed in the form of a thousand glorious, dopamine inducing adjectives and where subjective effects are widely accepted to be true. On the other hand, objective results are largely poo poo'd for one reason or another, generally that there's some kind of misleading psychology going on that makes the very real, lab proven test null and void. Right. In short, audiophools have the amp, the CD player, the streamer, the record deck, the speakers (and have probably upgraded them countless times already) and they have to pin their faith on improvements by way of switches, cables, sound deadening thingies, etc etc. Buy into it if it makes you happy I say (not you OP!). :wave:

Oh and by the way, the AC current coming through the mains plug is via a 'contact' - that's the contact between the plug and the socket. A switch is also a contact. The difference being the square root of sod all. :)

julie_m 13th Jan 2019 10:13 pm

Switched sockets are definitely better for the hi-fi bore. They allow your amplifier to operate absolutely noise-free, for perfect silence .....

gramophone1 13th Jan 2019 10:27 pm

It really astounds me how many different claims are made regarding system improvements, but all the results are subjective at best with no real science to back up the claims. I saw a gold plated double socket on ebay for sale at the eye watering price of £140 ! I kid you not ! That is insanity in my book. I have my doubts it will even be bsi certified. I bet the insurance companies would not want to hear about gold plated sockets, plugs, and fuses if you needed to make a claim. I spent six pounds on a crabtree switched double socket, and I thought that was expensive.

julie_m 13th Jan 2019 10:32 pm

If you've paid £140 for something to make your hi-fi sound better, one of two things are going to happen. Either you will notice no effect at all, and feel disappointed (but still not immune to spending even more money on an even more outrageously over-hyped "upgrade"); or you will notice what appears to be an improvement even when there is none, and you will feel justified in having parted with the readies.

The mind can play some really nasty tricks on you sometimes .....

Lancs Lad 13th Jan 2019 10:38 pm

I know very little about 'serious' hifi - if it sounds good, I'm happy!

But, that post from stevehertz was absolutely brilliant - I loved reading it, and that killer last line actually made me laugh out loud :-D

I wish I could write as fluently and entertainingly as you, stevehertz! Thankyou so much, best laugh I've had for ages.

bikerhifinut 13th Jan 2019 10:46 pm

Even better, cut out the 13Amp socket and hardwire your equipment lead into an unswitched, unfused, wall outlet. Then have your amplifier modified so that it's IEC mains inlet has been bypassed and the mains lead is soldered direct to the mains transformer primary.

Andy, (Tongue very firmly in cheek). 8-\3;D

bikerhifinut 13th Jan 2019 10:55 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramophone1 (Post 1110477)
I spent six pounds on a crabtree switched double socket, and I thought that was expensive.

I would hope that what you bought was a "proper" Crabtree socket, manufactured to a high standard of reliability and intrinsic safety in which case was it really so expensive?

I'm about to have our upstairs completely rewired from the consumer unit as part of a refurbishment/extension to the existing old dormer extension, and I will be specifying at the very least, good quality socketry from the likes of Crabtree or MK rather than something shiny and covered in spun aluminium from B&Q.
But that's more about reliability and feeling secure rather than any nebulous ideas on sound quality.

A.

GrimJosef 13th Jan 2019 11:11 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by julie_m (Post 1110480)
... The mind can play some really nasty tricks on you sometimes ...

As everyone else has said, the presence or absence of a switch in the mains socket will have no measurable effect on the way the speaker cones move the air in the room (which is one definition of 'sound').

As Julie has said there may well be an effect on what your perception of the music is, though (that's another definition of 'sound'). Whether it's regarded as a 'nasty trick' or a genuinely pleasant experience may well vary from person to person.

It's your money. If you try a magic socket and you find it makes the music sound better to you then you might think it was money well spent, despite the fact that the air's moving in just the same way it was before.

Cheers,

GJ

gramophone1 13th Jan 2019 11:17 pm

The crabtree socket is genuine, and i got an electrician to fit it.

Oldcodger 13th Jan 2019 11:24 pm

biker- you may like to look at the likes of hagar stuff. I remember similar waffling by the HiFi dealers way back in the late 70's. They were trying to push the latest stuff with bells and whistles on, when all the specs said the performance in terms of the response /etc/etc was the same. I couldn't really tell the difference and for a lot of years I'd had a broadcast quality Amp sitting beside me listening to high grade music circuits.

Scimitar 13th Jan 2019 11:24 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerhifinut (Post 1110493)
or MK rather than something shiny and

You might like to try an MK before specifying them. Horrible, horrible things.

bikerhifinut 13th Jan 2019 11:26 pm

I think that was my point. :)

Radio Wrangler 13th Jan 2019 11:31 pm

No, a switched socket of the normal MK/Crabtree type will make no difference to your sound for one very simple reason. They are too cheap!

Hifi pundits agree that you must spend 40% of the cost of your system on a mains cable, and the same again on a socket, otherwise they cannot do your system justice and it is being held back.True hifi aficionados know that when they get this right the dramatic improvement in the authority of the sound will compel them to listen again to their entire record collection! Both records!

David

paulsherwin 13th Jan 2019 11:37 pm

The vast majority of this audiophool stuff is absolutely nuts. There have been many threads discussing this in the past. Adherents to these beliefs would benefit from a visit to a professional recording or broadcasting studio.

Scimitar 13th Jan 2019 11:41 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerhifinut (Post 1110511)
I think that was my point.

I'm confused then, I thought that you were considering specifying MK for your rewiring? Dreadful things, screws made of cheese and stiff threads which means that the heads get chewed. Cable entry point is also all wrong and the profile of the front plate is a Marmite job!

robin0577 13th Jan 2019 11:58 pm

Unless you're unlucky enough to find a socket with contacts so poorly made or so worn that they actually cause arcing and/or significant voltage drop, then no, it will make no difference.

Also, I agree that current/recent MK stuff (post Honeywell takeover) is rubbish compared with the stuff they were making a generation or more ago.

bikerhifinut 14th Jan 2019 12:15 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scimitar (Post 1110520)
I'm confused then, I thought that you were considering specifying MK for your rewiring? Dreadful things, screws made of cheese and stiff threads which means that the heads get chewed. Cable entry point is also all wrong and the profile of the front plate is a Marmite job!

Sorry Scimitar I misunderstood, ooops I get you now. I'll be speaking to my sparky about the sockets and nae doot he'll have a recommendation based on experience as he won't want to faff around when fitting stuff.

a.

Refugee 14th Jan 2019 1:34 am

A switched socket will have absolutely no effect on a HiFi system unless there is something very wrong with it.
I have even read about people putting the earth wire in a coal bunker so produce some kind of concocted improvement.
The earth on my house wiring is a spike in the ground with a disused coal mine below so my earth wire is already in a coal bunker anyway.
It certainly does not make any difference to my music.

fetteler 14th Jan 2019 2:30 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramophone1 (Post 1110465)
Do unswitched Sockets really make a difference to the overall sound quality of your hifi ?
Or is it just more hifi BS ?

I really can't see why there would be any difference between switched sockets and unswitched sockets to be honest. But hey, I could be wrong.

Any comments appreciated.

Yeah, you could be wrong... but then there's small (but finite) chance that the sun may not rise tomorrow morning.
Given the number of switches and circuit breakers the mains has been through in order to get to your house, to say nothing of the mains switch gracing the front panel of the amp/CD player/whatever you are listening to your music on, I would reckon very safe answers to your original questions are, no, and, yes it is more hifi bullshit.

Cheers,
Steve.