UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Apr 2013, 9:38 pm   #1
alanworland
Heptode

Default Bruises in Veneer

I seem to remember reading of a method of removing buises from wood (in this case veneered ply) but can't find it now!
I thought it involved applying steam to expand the damaged area?
Has anyone experiece of doing this? and does it work?

Alan
Old 18th Apr 2013, 10:18 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Bruises in Veneer

Hi Alan,

Using the search terms DENT and STEAM got me to one of Howard's threads: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=7454

N.
Old 18th Apr 2013, 10:43 pm   #3
ValveMan
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Alan,

I recommend applying some masking tape to the area then applying steam until the wood swells slightly, this causes the bruise in the veneer to rise making it almost unnoticeable if not completely. The reason to apply tape before doing this is to protect the wood finish however you may find that you still need to refinish the area. I've found that the kettle works best however it's whatever works best for you.

Hope this helps,

Regards, Dylan
Old 18th Apr 2013, 11:20 pm   #4
alanworland
Heptode

Thanks, I thought I had read it in one of my books - perhaps my brain cell is playing up!
Should also work on veneered ply I would have thought.
They are only shallow marks but I didn't want to risk thinning the veneer by trying to sand them out.

Alan
Old 19th Apr 2013, 11:27 pm   #5
ValveMan
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, It should work fine on ply. As plywood is made up of layers sandwiched together I'd think that it should work exactly the same as solid wood if not better. I would never sand a radio case unless I planned on re-finishing the entire case. I suppose some would say to leave small marks such as these for character's sake however we all like different things. The question is what's character and what isn't?

Kind Regards,
Dylan
Old 1st Jan 2014, 1:46 pm   #6
kevinski
Retired Dormant Member

I used a steam iron on my home made plywood plinth. I put a wet tea towel over the bruise and used the iron for a few seconds at a time until it had gone.

Kevin
Old 1st Jan 2014, 2:56 pm   #7
alanworland
Heptode

I'd forgotten all about this post, glad it worked for you Kevin!
Because my bruises were so local (more grooves) I ended up using a small pipe connected to a steam generator and directed the 'blast' along the damaged areas and it worked a treat - in the final finish you would never know marks were there!

Alan
Old 1st Jan 2014, 3:10 pm   #8
mark pirate
Dekatron

I have a small domestic steam cleaner that might be worth trying, I have a small nozzle attachment that should be fine for this.
I will experiment on a scrap cabinet to see how well it works, if not too good I have an old Iron in the workshop I can try, as I have a couple of sets that need refinishing.

Would it be better to steam out the dents before removing the old finish?

Mark
Old 1st Jan 2014, 4:10 pm   #9
alanworland
Heptode

Hi Mark,

I used a fibreglass abrasive pen to remove the varnish in the groove, then the steaming process to the cleared area followed by complete varnish removal with a Wilkinson stripper. I found this to be fairly 'mild' compared to Nitromoors - as in more gentle to the veneer!
Go carefull, the veneers are generally quite thin.

Alan
Closed Thread