UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2013, 4:15 pm   #1
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Rees Mace Type 'N' Receiver

Folks, Information/Circuit Diagram required please on a Type'N' 3 Band AC/DC Rx. S/No 6961.
Its very utilitarian in appearance. Plywood cabinet completely covered in matt black vinyl cloth.
Couldn't find anything in the Trader Sheets CD, or Molloy & Poole books.
Thankfully it seems to have been decently stored for nigh on 50 years, I'm told, and looks in good nick for its age.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REES MACE 1.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	75581   Click image for larger version

Name:	REES MACE 2.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	75582   Click image for larger version

Name:	REES MACE 3.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	75583  
Old 29th Jan 2013, 7:05 pm   #2
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Default Re: REES MACE Rx

That looks a very interesting receiver, David.
As you say, its been looked after.
What's the valve line up & coverage?

Regards
Pete
Old 29th Jan 2013, 9:54 pm   #3
David Simpson
Nonode

Pete, The 3 bands are 550 - 1700KHz, 2.1 - 7MHz, & 7 - 22MHz. It was last used back in the 50's when the original owner used to listen to Aberdeen trawlers returning home. Has been in a loft for over 50 years. No sign yet of woodworm or any beastie attack.
I haven't had time yet to remove the chassis, as I'm still finishing off working on a Coastal Radio Tx & PSU on my wee work bench.
I think its a Rexine type black matt finish over the ply cabinet. Its in jolly good condition & I'm dying to see how it cleans up.

Regards, David
Old 29th Jan 2013, 10:55 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi David, if no success give mr a reminder about 5 Mar when I will be back home as I have some Rees Mace details in my library.
Ed
Old 29th Jan 2013, 11:43 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

It has a "Forces Comfort Set" look about it to me.

There is a very similar looking model, the RMC in "Radio Radio". It's dated 1943, and the limited information says it was amongst the radios that had been delayed by wartime component shortages, which were easing by that time just prior to the American Lend Lease releases.
Old 20th Feb 2013, 5:54 pm   #6
David Simpson
Nonode

Folks, Have taken a wee break from spring cleaning & decorating, & have delved inside this Rx for an hour or so.
6 Valves :- All Mazda - 1) TH233
2) & 3) VP133
4) HL133/DD
5) PEN383
6) U 201
A Goodmans Speaker

Mains Rect./DC Dropper etc, & AF Amp on one open chassis

RF valves & circuitry inside seperate totally screened unit.

I still haven't found a circuit diagram or any info yet.

Regards, David
Old 21st Feb 2013, 11:05 am   #7
crackle
Rest in Peace

There is a Rees Mace Cameo EL80 listed on the radio museum, it has the same valve line up as your radio,. but does not quite look the same cabinet or chassis.
My Rees Mace RM215, which is a later more commercial looking set is based on a PYE 445U chassis.
Mike
Old 21st Feb 2013, 1:16 pm   #8
David Simpson
Nonode

Thanks Mike,
The search for info goes on. I've been advised to contact the Lowestoft Journal, as seemingly R M had a wee marine radio factory there. Hopefully a retired ex employee might be able to help.So have sent off a request to the L J.
Its a pretty bog-standard AC/DC 5 Valve superhet layout. But never having heard of R M before, and with my interest in vintage marine HF equipment(Sailor Radio, Coastal Radio), thought I'd find out as much as I can.

Regards, David
Old 21st Feb 2013, 8:18 pm   #9
crackle
Rest in Peace

David
There is also maritime museum close to Lowestoft. I wonder if they have any information on local marine radio manufacturers.
Mike
Old 21st Feb 2013, 9:39 pm   #10
David Simpson
Nonode

Thanks again Mike for helpful info. I've sent off an email to the Lowestoft Journal, and just now to the Museum. Will keep folks posted.

Regards, David
Old 21st Feb 2013, 11:31 pm   #11
turretslug
Dekatron

Sorry, David, but I'm a little confused here, there was an implication that the set was a six-valver with two VP133's. If these were 2 IFamps, that suggests good gain and selectivity, if one was a tuned RF amp, it would fit in with the overall screening in keeping LO radiation down. Either way, it smacks of something a cut above the crowd.

I believe that Rees-Mace became part of Pye, I have a Pye-badged CAT619 receiver that was apparently a Rees-Mace design (late '40's/early '50's?), a neat little 60kHz-31MHz general coverage set (though I'd hesitate to flatter it with the term "communications receiver"),

Colin.
Old 22nd Feb 2013, 12:16 pm   #12
David Simpson
Nonode

Aye Colin, 6 valves - 5 of them RF & AF. The U201 being the mains rectifier. I haven't had the time yet to remove the two chassis units, nor do I have a circuit diagram. However, suspecting high gain & selectivity for marine HF reception purposes- I'd guessed, as you have, - RF Amp, LO/Mixer, IF amp,Det./AGC, & AF amp.
I'm only being able to spend a wee bit of time on this due to decorating commitments. So the odd post here & sending off a couple of emails is all I'm doing just now.
The Rx's solid utilitarian construction, its local link to the old NE Scottish fishing fleet, and the rarity of info on Rees Mace, is what's challenging me. Right enough, they were taken over by Pye, but Trader Sheets, Molloy & Poole ref.books etc dont indicate anything like a re-badged Pye model of the 'Rx Type N'.
If it had been just some bog-standard table top domestic wireless from the 40's or 50's - I wouldn't have bothered with it in the first place.

Regards, David
Old 26th Feb 2013, 7:04 pm   #13
turretslug
Dekatron

Definitely unusual and different enough to be worth saving, a good workshop set, and pretty much the entire SW BC spectrum (apart from 11m, but not much goes on there!). I make that a 120V heater chain, possibly roomy enough to accomodate an isolating transformer- I don't like mucking about with things but I'm even more wary of the whole "AC/DC" shebang!

I lived in Hopeman as a kid, it was things like discarded trawler sonars that gave me a lifetime stash of EF91, ECC81/2, etc. The Burghead LF/MF BC transmitter site wasn't far away (like the fishing industry, something of a shadow of its former self). Radios containing germanium or silicon tended to have a background intermodulation chatter, valve sets were clean- another thing that gave me respect for the "amplifying light-bulb" that was being denigrated/discarded wholesale at the time.
Old 27th Feb 2013, 1:10 pm   #14
David Simpson
Nonode

Hello Turretslug, Thanks for your reply. I used to know the Hopeman & Burghead area pretty well back in the 70's . Being stationed at RAF Lossiemouth.
Lucky you geing able to womble amongst old marine equipment in your youth. Sadly, most has now been skipped &/or dumped in landfill ! Thankfully, I very occasionally get lucky & get hold of something ex marine in need of TLC.

Regards, David
Old 26th Apr 2013, 10:49 pm   #15
Paul Johnson
Retired Dormant Member

A bit late, but Rees Mace were swallowed up by Pye, and the Pye and District Amateur Radio Society ran with the callsign G3JRM (for Reece Mace) for many years.
Old 11th Apr 2014, 3:21 pm   #16
David Simpson
Nonode

Nearly a year has flown by since this thread was active. A good tidy up of shelves, and the completion of a Ferranti 145 renovation has given me the opportunity to return to this lovely old wartime marine/utility Rx.
I've now removed the two sub-chassis and hoovered up approx 70 years of dust. Also found an almond pip, two GeorgeVI 2d stamps, and a wee label with "Wm Archibald & Sons Ltd Wool Spinners Alva Scotland" printed on it !
Will delve further, and get the Regulac out.
Still haven't located a circuit diagram yet.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rees Mace (a).jpg
Views:	196
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	91400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rees Mace (b).jpg
Views:	240
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	91401  
Old 11th Apr 2014, 11:54 pm   #17
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simpson View Post
Thankfully, I very occasionally get lucky & get hold of something ex marine in need of TLC
We've noticed, keep them coming
Old 12th Apr 2014, 6:54 am   #18
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
I believe that Rees-Mace became part of Pye, I have a Pye-badged CAT619 receiver that was apparently a Rees-Mace design (late '40's/early '50's?), a neat little 60kHz-31MHz general coverage set (though I'd hesitate to flatter it with the term "communications receiver"),
Apparently so.

The CAT receiver was described in Wireless World 1954 July as a Rees Mace unit, but advertised in the 1954 September issue as a Pye unit. But the Index to Advertisers page of that issue shows Rees Mace Marine Ltd as the advertiser. So one assumes that that the Pye acquisition happened approximately in mid-1954.

The CAT had an interesting valve line-up; the ubiquitious ECH81, twice, but not in the company of its usual domestic receiver retinue.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WW 195407 p.333.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	91412   Click image for larger version

Name:	WW 195407 p.334.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	91413   Click image for larger version

Name:	WW 1954-09 p.81.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	91414  
Old 12th Apr 2014, 11:32 am   #19
David Simpson
Nonode

Thanks Bill & Synchrodyne for your replies.
I never did get any replies from Lowestoft. I guess most ex employees have now gone to the workshop in the sky. My old Molloy & Poole books have a heap of gen on post-war Pye Rx's, but nothing on a two-chassis AC/DC 3 Band set. The big etched brass freq dial has MONEY HICKS Ltd etched in the centre, but I'm guessing they were a sub-contractor.
The PSU/Audio Amp chassis is galv.steel with a single coat of grey paint. The RF chassis is all tinned copper ! As are all the screening panels. The 3 gang tuning capacitor is offset from the horizontal by about 15 degrees, and tuned from the side by a flexible shaft.
There are no crows feet marks or WD marks or numbers. A couple of old dry waxie electrolytics in the PSU have been changed for wet Radio Spares ones, and so far can only find one perished section of wiring. This augers well for some metering & meggering prior to slowly powering up from the Regulac. Will also test all the Mazda valves first.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rees Mace (c).jpg
Views:	177
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	91417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rees Mace (d).jpg
Views:	164
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	91419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rees Mace (e).jpg
Views:	189
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	91420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rees Mace (f).jpg
Views:	153
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	91421  
Old 12th Apr 2014, 9:16 pm   #20
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: Rees Mace Type 'N' Receiver

Quicky report - - Thanks to Claude Lyons' Regulac - It works ! Loads of adj. ch. interference on MW, and the grotty dropper heats up the whole workshop. Band 2 is noisy & Band three is dead. However, all BBC MW stations can be aquired, if somewhat noisy.

Regards, David
Closed Thread